Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #1696
Brynwall
Enthusiast
Brynwall began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Hey all, I think I found the problem with the images. There were invisible files that matched the image names that stopped working. Once I deleted those the images were working fine.
Brynwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #1697
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynwall View Post
Hey all, I think I found the problem with the images. There were invisible files that matched the image names that stopped working. Once I deleted those the images were working fine.
Invisible files on FAT32?

What where you viewing the Kindle's directory with?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #1698
Brynwall
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Invisible files on FAT32?

What where you viewing the Kindle's directory with?
I was using my Mac and I have it set to show all hidden files.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #1699
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was using my Mac and I have it set to show all hidden files.
Ah, must be a fluky MacOS vfat driver artifact.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:54 AM   #1700
Brynwall
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ah, must be a fluky MacOS vfat driver artifact.
I'm betting it is more of an El Capitan issue; I've never seen this problem before I upgraded...
Advert
Old 10-30-2015, 02:16 AM   #1701
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
When I first replied to this post, I was only thinking 'Linux' because:
*) It is what I use everyday
*) I did not think that its vfat driver supported the fat 'hidden' and 'system' attributes.

2) Evidently it does:
https://blogs.gnome.org/diegoe/2012/...s-on-gnulinux/
But you have to have mtools installed to deal with them (at least with very old kernels).

1) Poster is using MacOS X, which is another can of worms:
http://superuser.com/questions/17512...ernal-drive-on

B) - I need a better memory
A) - I should have asked "What OS?" Duh....

= = = =

Since there can be three different types (or sources) of
Quote:
Hidden Files

1) Linux/*nix style :
This is a matter of tradition, files that begin with '.' are normally not shown.
But a file beginning with a '.' and one which does not (and are otherwise the same in case and capitalization) are different filenames - one can't 'hide' the other.

So - not that type of hidden file.

2) MacOS X resource forks -
Following the *nix tradition (which MacOS X is), a file with a resource fork gets its resource fork copied to fat(12, 16, 32) as a distinctively named file.
http://superuser.com/questions/17512...ernal-drive-on

So - not that type of hidden file.

3) DOS/Windows (native fat-12, -16, -32) style :
No tradition needed here, the filesystems have both 'hidden' and 'system' attribute bits.
I.E: they are attribute bits - they are **not** part of the filename.

So - the 'hidden' files in this post must have been this system's idea of 'hidden' (a file attribute).

Only older versions of Linux (which the Kindle was before 5.6.x) requires a special add-in utility to deal with them (I don't know off-hand if the Kindles have that mtools utility installed).

Although I would expect lsattr to show 'system' and 'hidden' attributes on a fat(12, 16, 32) filesystem and chattr should be able to change them.
But their man pages make no mention of how fat(12, 16, 32) are handled.

I'll have to check if that is supported/used in the newer (5.6.x) series firmware (which uses a much newer 3.0.x series kernel).

Hmm....
I seem to recall that long ago, Lab126 built a kernel with selinux support (file system attributes on steriods) but never used them (thank the gods).

Maybe they have done that (again) and this time have the mount options of the fat-32 partition on the Kindle set to respect them.

Drat!
Something else that needs to be checked about the 5.6.x series firmware(s).

Last edited by knc1; 10-30-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #1702
kathees
kathees began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thumbs up

Hi,

Just installed the latest version (0.24.N) in my Kindle Touch (4th Gen - Firmware 5.3.7.3) and have some questions. I wanted to use the cover feature so first installed the python followed by the screensaver.

Once the install is done inside the linksys folder I show a empty file named "auto". I never show any file called "autoreboot" the guide talking a lot about. I copied the "auto" file and renamed to "cover" and full restarted the Kindle. Bad, I still see the default screensaver.

So then I delete the "cover" file and copy some images and restarted the kindle again. Wow, now I can see my custom screensavers.

1) Is it necessary to always have the "auto" file in-order for this hack to work?
Yes, it enables the hack

2) Where is the "autoreboot" file guide mentions a lot about? Or you meant the "auto" file?
I think in new versions not installed by default. Need to create the file ourself

3) AutoReboot feature doesn't seem to work even if I put another file called "reboot". I put it along with the default "auto" file. But my images didn't really appear even after disconnect the Kindle and wait a minute. But when I restart the kindle using "Settings->Restart" they do appear....

May be I should delete the "auto" file and just have a simple file called "reboot"?
Didn't work because I didn't had the "autoreboot" file. Both files are required

4) For "random" and "shuffle" guide explicitly say we need to put them along the "auto" file. So let's say I don't want both and just require my screenshots to appear in the order? Can I delete that "auto" file?
No, file "auto" always required. If we only have this file screensavers will cycle in the default order

5) To use "cover"/"last" should I delete the "auto" file and just keep a single file?
No, as mentioned above "auto" file always required. Not sure why I saw the default screensavers before. Now I can see the cover nicely

Thanks for the great work and sharing with us.

Last edited by kathees; 12-11-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Answering my questions as found them using Kula
kathees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #1703
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The easiest way of keeping straight which files need to be there, is to install KUAL (Kindle Unified Application Launcher) and use the KUAL extension installed with the screensavers hack.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #1704
kathees
kathees began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The easiest way of keeping straight which files need to be there, is to install KUAL (Kindle Unified Application Launcher) and use the KUAL extension installed with the screensavers hack.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just installed Kula and tried the various options. Managed to find the answers to my question.

Just reporting my findings in case anyone needs as reference. The usage of files are as below.

1) auto - Must have. This is the one enabled the hack
2) autoreboot - Enables the auto reboot feature. But does not trigger the reboot yet
3) reboot - Must put this along with autoreboot for a framework restart to be happened next time you unplug the Kindle
4)cover/last/random/shuffle - These files and other new files for the options like personal info works as intended. But all of these must have the "auto" file along with them.

Hope it helps anyone who get confused about the files as did.
Again, thanks a lot for the great work. Now I'm enjoying my own photos..

kathees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #1705
abheybir
abheybir began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Voyage
For Kv 5.6.5

Under FAQ it is mentioned that " On FW >= 5.6.5, be aware that we currently cannot process KFX books". Does it mean it normally works on 5.6.5???

But i guess no jailbreak is still available for the same, how can it be installed over firmware 5.6.5???
abheybir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #1706
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheybir View Post
Under FAQ it is mentioned that " On FW >= 5.6.5, be aware that we currently cannot process KFX books". Does it mean it normally works on 5.6.5???

But i guess no jailbreak is still available for the same, how can it be installed over firmware 5.6.5???
No, there is an equals sign in the statement.

There is a jailbreak available, the serial port jailbreak.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #1707
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@abheybir: As @knc1 said, -gte (greater than or equal). Besides, the KFX thing is fixed in current snapshots anyway .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #1708
lresende
lresende began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
aadsf

Last edited by lresende; 10-20-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: adad
lresende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #1709
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Use the hotfix linked in the Jailbreak thread, then use the latest version of KUAL + MrPI (MobileRead package Installer).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #1710
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Use the hotfix linked in the Jailbreak thread, then use the latest version of KUAL + MrPI (MobileRead package Installer).
We need a rubber stamp for that one.
It is getting to be almost like the: "Recharge the battery" answer once was.

Hmm...
FGA #11

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch