Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #46
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Quote:
as you already did the PRS+ base installation, you really should try Analogus ZORK- version.
It is far ahead the code-state from 2.1.01a and adds some very nice font-fine-tuning direct in the Size-Overlay. The menu you get when you push the size-button.

For the more tech-savvy: mentioned features are also included in current PRS+ standard-repository. But you will have to buid your own installer.
See here

The Zork looks great.... I think I Russified my current dying 350, the Boroda version - to enable different epub fonts.
Zork looks as easy or easier with better options... thanks!
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #47
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Love my blue 350 so much... that now the screen is dying i've bought a brand new one to swap out the internals - and if i was in Canada i'd probably get another backup for $50 just in case!
Where can you get a backup for $50 in Canada? I would be interested in perhaps picking one up.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #48
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Where can you get a backup for $50 in Canada? I would be interested in perhaps picking one up.
Look back to post #14.... and find a friend in Canada!
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #49
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Look back to post #14.... and find a friend in Canada!
Thanks!

... I am my own friend in Canada

I was at a local Walmart today, and they only had the T1, actually. Perhaps I'll try another one. I doubt that I will have any luck finding it, but you never know.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #50
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
There's a new one for sale on eBay for $88, plenty of used ones that look to be in good shape as well.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #51
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
i've been a loyal kindle user for the past few gens but wanted a 2nd ultra small one for my backpocket on the subway rides when i'm carrying nothing...after reading about the beagle and that 5" kobo, i thought back "wasn't that awesome little sony 350sc a 5" too?" The build quality of those compared to the sony is like a 80's hyundai to a 80's accord. night and day...looked around on ebay and ended up picking one up for 40 bucks. that is INSANE deal wise. this thing is ridiculously great for that price. going to use it as a secondary reader to my basic kindle (for the record, i think the paperwhite is one gen from being incredible. too much light shades in pitch dark). anyhow, this sony. AWESOME. a nice sidenote: i picked up the general amazon GPS case and it fits the sony reader LIKE A GLOVE. the sides stick out but the thickness and length are perfect..anyhow, carry on readers!!! i just saw that there is a font hack from this thread for the sony so i'm going to check it out.

I can't believe how good this thing displays pdf's. holy cow. puts kindle's pdf viewing to absolute shame.

Last edited by feelmaroon; 11-29-2012 at 05:15 PM.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #52
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
SeaBookGuy

as you already did the PRS+ base installation, you really should try Analogus ZORK- version.
It is far ahead the code-state from 2.1.01a and adds some very nice font-fine-tuning direct in the Size-Overlay. The menu you get when you push the size-button.

For the more tech-savvy: mentioned features are also included in current PRS+ standard-repository. But you will have to buid your own installer.
See here
Just what I was looking for -- too only a couple of minutes to get it up and running!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #53
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelmaroon View Post
i've been a loyal kindle user for the past few gens but wanted a 2nd ultra small one for my backpocket on the subway rides when i'm carrying nothing...after reading about the beagle and that 5" kobo, i thought back "wasn't that awesome little sony 350sc a 5" too?" The build quality of those compared to the sony is like a 80's hyundai to a 80's accord. night and day...looked around on ebay and ended up picking one up for 40 bucks. that is INSANE deal wise. this thing is ridiculously great for that price. going to use it as a secondary reader to my basic kindle (for the record, i think the paperwhite is one gen from being incredible. too much light shades in pitch dark). anyhow, this sony. AWESOME. a nice sidenote: i picked up the general amazon GPS case and it fits the sony reader LIKE A GLOVE. the sides stick out but the thickness and length are perfect..anyhow, carry on readers!!! i just saw that there is a font hack from this thread for the sony so i'm going to check it out.

I can't believe how good this thing displays pdf's. holy cow. puts kindle's pdf viewing to absolute shame.
Wow, what a steal for $40! I'm glad that you are enjoying it. The 350 really is fantastic, and I have often been surprised by how great PDFs render on such a small screen.

I am also holding out for the next generation Kindle paperwhite, for the record. The current version does look great, but I feel like I am better off waiting for the next generation version of either the Kindle PW or the Kobo Glo. As it is I am very happy and comfortable reading from my 350 with the Sony case with the built in reading light.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #54
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I think the 350/650 series of readers were the pinnacle of readers. It's been all downhill from there. The 650 is my main reader (I really do need the extra inch of screen) but I have the 350 as an extra/spare. Actually I have two 350's but I seem to have misplaced one of them. Very irritating since it was misplaced with a cover. The covers are much harder to find than the readers.

PRS+ is a huge improvement over the Sony software. Sony has never, ever produced software that did not massively suck. Their SonicStage comes to mind (and remains embedded like a shard of glass.) The T1 was a real disappointment. The users interface is worse that the stock 650 and only function of the wireless capability is to turn it into a point of sale terminal for the reader store. The Kobo mini has the same problem except that it shills for Kobo. The T1 also shills for Google but Goggle doesn't sell to Canadian readers.

The 350/650 readers are just that, damn good readers.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #55
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
SonicStage comes to mind (and remains embedded like a shard of glass.)
haha. sonic stage! those were some lean days i had with that crappy software and my minidisc players.

prs+ is no joke. added the zork/chess build and am horribly impressed with the options. turned off the time in each book, using comic book sans font in small, and tap zones for one touch. INCREDIBLE!. played hitchhikers guide to the galaxy for an hour at work. laughing at how fun a text game from 1984 could be.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #56
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
played hitchhikers guide to the galaxy for an hour at work. laughing at how fun a text game from 1984 could be.
I wasted many an hour (day) playing those Infocom games. Mind you, I had the Zork games on 8" CPM discs (I've been at this digital/computer thing for a while now.) Have you figured out how to get the Babel Fish yet?
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #57
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Quote:
haha. sonic stage! those were some lean days i had with that crappy software and my minidisc players.
MD-players from SONY have been a desaster. Good hardware but incredible bad software. And using the player without software was nearly impossible cause of the - incredible bad - DRM.
I think that desaster was one of the reasons SONY lost it's leading position in electronic market. They do not listen to customers.

If they had listened to them they would know that customers would prefer higher resolution, light, no glossy frame and a functional store.

A
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #58
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
I think the 350/650 series of readers were the pinnacle of readers. It's been all downhill from there. The 650 is my main reader (I really do need the extra inch of screen) but I have the 350 as an extra/spare. Actually I have two 350's but I seem to have misplaced one of them. Very irritating since it was misplaced with a cover. The covers are much harder to find than the readers.

PRS+ is a huge improvement over the Sony software. Sony has never, ever produced software that did not massively suck. Their SonicStage comes to mind (and remains embedded like a shard of glass.) The T1 was a real disappointment. The users interface is worse that the stock 650 and only function of the wireless capability is to turn it into a point of sale terminal for the reader store. The Kobo mini has the same problem except that it shills for Kobo. The T1 also shills for Google but Goggle doesn't sell to Canadian readers.

The 350/650 readers are just that, damn good readers.
The 350/650/950 reader are fantastic, and I do agree with you that they are the pinnacle of ebook readers. However, I really enjoy the fact that I can download my library books directly to my T1. While I think that the plastic chassis is a downgrade, I do like the added library download feature to the T1 model. I also use dropbox often enough on my T1 for me to appreciate the added wi-fi.

I really hope that Sony goes back to the metal frames (although I doubt it will happen). I am also not crazy about the new android powered firmware on the T1, I preferred the older firmware on the x50 series. I really did not mind paying a premium for Sony products.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #59
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
I've just bought a PRS 350 for my sister for Christmas. After playing with it I'm seriously considering getting myself one as a back up to my own PRS 300
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #60
Ayle
Enthusiast
Ayle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 650
I still have my prs 650. A friend owns the t1, I liked the wifi, as she can read manga directly from websites, or load fanfictions and the such. I own a tablet so it's no biggie, but I can see why some people would like the upgrade.
I don't see myself changing it anytime soon, It does what its intended to and it does it well. I have a couple of hundred books in it in the 2+ years Ive had it, and has never let me down. Battery seems to be doing ok, too. I even use a waterproof case and take it to the beach and the pool (Mostly for water/sand protection, I rarely go IN the water with it). The spine in the case broke a while ago, I'm looking into home made solutions, but the light is doing ok. A couple of pixels in the screen look dead (and the ink spread out like a little spider), but its very small. best toy for a bookworm like me
Ayle is offline   Reply With Quote