Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
TheDeciderBoy
TheDeciderBoy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thinking of sell Nook for Kindle 3..what you think?

I had to think long and hard where to post this..in Nook folder or Kindle folder..decided Kindle folder.

I have a Nook. I bought it right when it first came out. While I do enjoy the IDEA of being able to get books from anywhere or atleast more places, the color bottom display, and the possibilities the Android system could unveil.

But my main gripe is book selection. For example I was writing something today and wanted 3 books for my research. Nook did not have any of them available for download and I ended up ordering all three on Amazon.Com. While doing that I noticed all 3 were available for Kindle. This is not the first time this has happened.

I am considering ordering a Kindle 3 off of the money I could make (or part of it anyways) off of selling my Nook.

What are your thoughts?
TheDeciderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
Verres
Zealot
Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Go for it, the new display generation is really nice.
Verres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
Nicky_oz
Enthusiast
Nicky_oz doesn't litterNicky_oz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, Nook, Kindle Keyboard, iPad.
oh no i have a Nook and my family have Kindles, and as awesome as the Kindles are, i still prefer the Nook it's a bit more logical to me, and i enjoy not being stuck to one place to buy books. It's really odd that the ebooks are only available to Amazon, have you tried doing a really good search, I haven't really come across any books myself that are available for Kindle and not Nook, just the opposite actually.

Good luck, the Kindle 3 is rather nice, but i really hate the no page number feature.
Nicky_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_oz View Post
oh no i have a Nook and my family have Kindles, and as awesome as the Kindles are, i still prefer the Nook it's a bit more logical to me, and i enjoy not being stuck to one place to buy books. It's really odd that the ebooks are only available to Amazon, have you tried doing a really good search, I haven't really come across any books myself that are available for Kindle and not Nook, just the opposite actually.

Good luck, the Kindle 3 is rather nice, but i really hate the no page number feature.
there are numerous places in addition to Amazon to acquire books for your Kindle
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Why not the best of worlds and have both?

With the Nook you can borrow from libraries, that is not an option with the Kindle. I am infatuated with my new Kindle 3 WiFi but if I had another deive, I don't think I would give it up just to get a Kindle. See, if you can't figure out a way to own both.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
warp
Connoisseur
warp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
no problem for me to borrow epubs from public libraries with my kindle ;-)
warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeciderBoy View Post
I had to think long and hard where to post this..in Nook folder or Kindle folder..decided Kindle folder.

I have a Nook. I bought it right when it first came out. While I do enjoy the IDEA of being able to get books from anywhere or atleast more places, the color bottom display, and the possibilities the Android system could unveil.

But my main gripe is book selection. For example I was writing something today and wanted 3 books for my research. Nook did not have any of them available for download and I ended up ordering all three on Amazon.Com. While doing that I noticed all 3 were available for Kindle. This is not the first time this has happened.

I am considering ordering a Kindle 3 off of the money I could make (or part of it anyways) off of selling my Nook.

What are your thoughts?

Are there other places that you can find the books that you like in EPub format? If so, how do the prices at those sites compare to the Kindle? If they are competitive I don't think you need to add a Kindle.

Otherwise I would say that there is nothing wrong with having two e-readers. You can use the Kindle when the books that you want are not available or are more expensive for your Nook. I would only sell the Nook if you are strapped for cash and you have to sell it to buy a Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp View Post
That however requires a visit to the Dark Side.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
These books that you've needed, will you need them in the future, or just now, for this project? If you're going to need them for the future, look into selling the nook. I don't think you'll get enough to warrant selling it though. Maybe consider gifting it to someone and get the Kindle?

For research type books, I tend to prefer paper books to electronic books anyhow. I'd just look for those books in paper format used. Maybe from another seller at Amazon.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
thadiyan
Enthusiast
thadiyan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp View Post
borrow? more like keep it ;-)
thadiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeciderBoy View Post

What are your thoughts?
In my opinion content is really the number one feature people should look into when buying an eReader. Then comes hardware consideration.

If you are finding that most of the books you want exist in the Kindle but not on the nook, then the nook is just not serving you well.

I would in a heart beat make the switch, it might take you a little bit longer to recoup your cost, but you will be saving in the long run AND reading books you want. In your post you mentioned you bought three physical books. What was the price difference if you could have bought the 3 books via the Kindle.

You also have another option. Find out how to strip the DRM and then use a tool like calibre to convert the MOBI to ePUB.

Personally I think the K3 is a much better device than the original nook and would switch hardware if I had an option.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
TheDeciderBoy

Thank you. I could indeed afford to own both but honestly I'd rather be faithful to one device. And I've decided that device is going to be the Kindle 3. I did find the books I wanted in epub format for the Nook...at a cost of 4-6 dollars more a piece on other websites besides BN.COM..And honestly...transfering them to Nook via USB is pain in the royal arse...

So is their a ceremony for when I convert to Kindleism from Nookism?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Nope. You just smile and be happy that you have found an e-reader that you are content with.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
TheDeciderBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Nope. You just smile and be happy that you have found an e-reader that you are content with.

Darn it, I want a ceremony! I want dancer, jugglers, fireworks, a marching band, and a red carpet!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I have both the Nook and the K3. I prefer the K3. The faster speed and the lighter weight are big pluses for me.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook kindle 3