Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
English Dictionary

I've already picked up the dictionary that was uploaded here (GNU International Collaberative), however I'm finding that the words I want to look up aren't contained in it.

So I'm after a good dictionary.

It absolutely must be an English one, as opposed to an American English one.

Can anyone who has looked into this at all make a suggestion?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 AM   #2
cen
Connoisseur
cen doesn't littercen doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad (v1) / Sony Librie
There was a thread recently along similar lines would suggest that the Collins or Oxford dictionaries are what you are looking for. Judging by the samples available, they are indeed UK english (e.g.: colour instead of color)
cen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 AM   #3
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Arrow Links to *free* dictionary files ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Can anyone who has looked into this at all make a suggestion?

Hi Halk!
Just two links that MIGHT help you:

www.wordgumbo.com/ie/ which contains further links e.g. to www.freedict.com

(* I F * you owned a Sony Reader prs500/5 you could take ANY text file using an "autorun-hack" that I programmed. See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...546e63&t=22320
)
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the Chambers Unabridged Dictionary, 10th Edition. British English, and absolutely excellent. Works extremely well on the Gen3. Not the cheapest dictionary around, but for me it was worth every penny.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Thanks for the suggestions folks. It's down to either the Collins or the Chambers. One being a fiver cheaper than the other, but both appearing to be rather weighty tomes.

I'll probably end up going for the one that Harry recommends, knowing how pedantic he can be, it can hardly be a bad dictionary! :P

It'd be much easier if one of them would advertise itself as "British English" or "UK English" since that would quite neatly take them out of the running.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
{snip}...It'd be much easier if one of them would advertise itself as "British English" or "UK English" since that would quite neatly take them out of the running.
Or, since we don't really speak English here in the US, if our dictionaries would specify AMERICAN. Because there is such a huge variation in the day to day language and there has been a diversion into distinct, I am unsure of this is the correct word, but dialects of the English language. It really does matter.

BTW, I found a nice link to a dictionary today as I am looking for something to use with my N800 and Stardict...

You can find oodles of them here:

http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dict...w.dict.org.php

I think I will take a swing at WordNet (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/) or The Collaborative International Dictionary of English first and/or second in some yet to be determined order. Though if I was gonna buy one it would be the Oxford.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote