Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Moo Strength
Moo Strength began at the beginning.

Device: Astek EZ Reader
Flashing your EZ Reader Pro

I looked on the forum for awhile to find the information, and even on the Astak website I couldn't find it. I realize many of you may be experienced eBook readers and know how to do this, but if I didn't have experience in IT, I might not have had as much success. After some searching, I found this information and thought it might be useful to others
  1. Download the Firmware update from astak.com. The exact address is
    http://www.astak.com/download/v5setu...k_09102009.rar
  2. Unzip the archive.
  3. Copy the Bin file to the root of your flash drive.
  4. Turn off the device
  5. Hold down the top button on the left side of the device, and push the power button.
  6. Release the button when you hear two Beeps in a row. (on my device it took only a couple seconds)
  7. After the device has finished, it will tell you to "Push any key to reboot" (I discovered that the power button is not one of the keys that will work)
  8. After rebooting, your device should be updated.

I found the instructions here:
http://www.theezreader.com/html/support_firmware.html

Since I bought my PEZ from astak.com, I thought maybe there might be others that were a bit puzzled if they weren't sure how to update their reader. I'm used to having to use a Flash updater so having it built into the device like that is rather nifty. My apologies if this is already typed up somewhere in the astak forum. I did try searching using phrases like beep-beep and other unique words to no avail.
Moo Strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is best to reflash only when the battery is fully charged. I also leave the USB charger connected while reflashing to be extra safe.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is best to reflash only when the battery is fully charged. I also leave the USB charger connected while reflashing to be extra safe.
In addition, I have no other files on the SD card - only the BIN file.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
  1. Unzip the archive.
The instructions are on theezreade.com site under the downloads, however, no one ever tells :

how do you Unzip an archive file?

I read in one thread that there may not be a program on the computer that unzips rar's, so I downloaded the 7zip?

But what are the keystrokes to do it. I am computer savy but I don't deal with zipped files. Too easy to get a virus.

Thanks
AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
[*] Unzip the archive.
Technically in needs to be unRar'd (using WinRar, 7zip, BetterZip, RarZilla, etc). Not sure why thy put it up as a rar instead of a zip.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
[/LIST]The instructions are on theezreade.com site under the downloads, however, no one ever tells :

how do you Unzip an archive file?

I read in one thread that there may not be a program on the computer that unzips rar's, so I downloaded the 7zip?

But what are the keystrokes to do it. I am computer savy but I don't deal with zipped files. Too easy to get a virus.

Thanks
AJ
Once you have the archive program (WinZip, WinRAR, 7zip, etc.) installed, just double clicking on the .zip or .rar file will start the archive program running. You can extract (usually there's an extract icon) the archived files to a folder or with most you can just drag & drop files from the archiver's window to your desired folder.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
[/LIST]I read in one thread that there may not be a program on the computer that unzips rar's, so I downloaded the 7zip?

But what are the keystrokes to do it.
Right click on the file and select an option from the 7-zip menu. Or am I thinking of some other unzip program.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Smile

Thanks, I need my MR friends would help.

AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
In addition, I have no other files on the SD card - only the BIN file.
I have no problems with other files, I often just put the bin file on my SD card with ebooks on it. I have also used sizes of 256M, 1Gig and 2Gig without problems, all formatted FAT16 (default)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Right click on the file and select an option from the 7-zip menu. Or am I thinking of some other unzip program.
That is exactly what I do.

Dale
Old 09-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #11
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Thanks to all for the good information!

A couple of notes that may help others:

(a) The instructions say to turn on the power while holding the top left button. For those who may be confused by what "top left" means -- it's the Next Page arrow button on the left side of the device.

(b) I was able to flash the firmware update with other files on the card. Perhaps some firmware updates on some devices actually need some blank space on the card to write temporary files? Since I have about 9 gb free on a 16 gb card, I wasn't worried.
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlac View Post
Thanks to all for the good information!

A couple of notes that may help others:

(a) The instructions say to turn on the power while holding the top left button. For those who may be confused by what "top left" means -- it's the Next Page arrow button on the left side of the device.

(b) I was able to flash the firmware update with other files on the card. Perhaps some firmware updates on some devices actually need some blank space on the card to write temporary files? Since I have about 9 gb free on a 16 gb card, I wasn't worried.
This is interesting information. It sounds like you used an SDHC card to load the firmware. Jinke specifically identifies the requirements as an SD card (2G and under formatted in FAT16). An SDHC card is formatted FAT32 and goes beyond the 2G size so perhaps they have the full function SD/SDHC driver in the boot loader. (I wouldn't expect this to work on a V3 and am even surprised it works on a V5.)

Dale
Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
cingkrab
cingkrab began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This is interesting information. It sounds like you used an SDHC card to load the firmware. Jinke specifically identifies the requirements as an SD card (2G and under formatted in FAT16). An SDHC card is formatted FAT32 and goes beyond the 2G size so perhaps they have the full function SD/SDHC driver in the boot loader. (I wouldn't expect this to work on a V3 and am even surprised it works on a V5.)

Dale
The firmware download page for the EZReader Pocket Pro says that the firmware can be loaded with cards 16 GB or smaller, so the bootloader must support SDHC.
cingkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cingkrab View Post
The firmware download page for the EZReader Pocket Pro says that the firmware can be loaded with cards 16 GB or smaller, so the bootloader must support SDHC.
Yes, I am using a 16 gb SDHC card -- I believe it is an A-Data class 6. The firmware update went very smoothly, thank goodness!
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have no problems with other files, I often just put the bin file on my SD card with ebooks on it. I have also used sizes of 256M, 1Gig and 2Gig without problems, all formatted FAT16 (default)

Dale
I ran into a problem flashing my EZ-Reader when I had some other folders with old copies of the firmware on the card. When I deleted the folders I had not problem flashing my EZ-Reader. Since then, I keep it clean to play it safe.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote