Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
moggler88
moggler88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
do wince handhelds make for good ebook readers

I am looking at a few wince handhelds to get for surfing the internet, watching videos and reading ebooks, i can't seem to find too much info if wince devices are good for ebook reading. Seems like a lot of people have problems getting programs to work on different wince handhelds, is this normally the case?
moggler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
There is a lot of reader software for older devices, but hardly anyone supports WinCE anymore. Also, later generations of WinCE OS don't always work with older applications.

Here is a beginner's guide I wrote:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32551
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
@moggler88: It all depends. WM5-WM6.1 are fine. PPC 2003 also works well. I wouldn't go any further back than that. Look for a late model, not abused, PDA with a 3.2" or larger screen and SD card support. Those will prove about the most versatile, economical, and generally useful ebook reader you can own for a reasonable price. It will also keep your music and your agenda, if you want it to.

You can then load Mobipocket, Gower Point microBook, and Fictionwise/eReader/B&N eReader and read just about any format ever made. If you're masochistic, Adobe's Pocket PDF Reader also works, but won't be much use unless you happen across a tagged PDF. For ePubs, the new Freda reader seems to be the up and coming thing. I like it.

Things to avoid:
-Worn or non-functioning keys (although you may be able to map around some)
-A spiking touch-screen digitizer (I write a lot, so this is actually my most frequent failure mode)
-Scratched or abused touch-screens; go for ones where the previous owner used a screen protector
-Flaky battery compartment latch switches. This was a horrible design feature that someone should have been shot for adding. The switch was less reliable than the door latch, and gave frequent, annoying false alarms.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
moggler88
moggler88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for both your inputs. I am actually looking at a wince 5.0 based device, maybe a the q5 with linux might be a better suited for me.
moggler88 is offline   Reply With Quote