Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Chapters gift cards for Kobo

I have a bunch of reward points through a credit card that I need to spend up. I was hoping to get most of the value in Chapters gift cards to use over the following year for ebook purchases at kobobooks.com.

I started to wonder if Kobo will continue to accept Chapters/Indigo gift cards since Chapters no longer owns Kobo. Does anyone have an insight on this? I know that Chapters gift cards currently work, but I'm concerned they won't continue to in the future.

Thanks!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
while it's always possible, they currently have a partnership, and seeing as Chapters is largest book distributor in Canada, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I, too, was concerned that I could no longer use my Chapters gift cards at some point and that Chapters would eventually stop taking returns for devices bought through Kobo online or stop exchanging defective units (and forcing customers to use 'official' warranty process and return via mail for repair or replacement).

I don't quite understand what Chapters/Indigo's relationship is with Kobo now that it has been sold to Rakuten. I thought all Chapters/Indigo shares were sold to Rakuten? Can anyone explain?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
All of Kobo is being sold to Rakuten--not all of Chapters-Indigo. Chapters-Indigo owns a majority share of Kobo, not the other way around.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Ahhh...okay...thanks for clarifying Taming. The press release was rather confusing - to me, it read like Chapters-Indigo was the majority shareholder and then sold its majority to Rakuten. I am not too skilled in understanding those things. I think I would have been better off to see some sort of pie chart or something, to visually display the switch in ownership! I need pictures sometimes!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It looks like Chapters-Indigo is going to make a pile of money from the sale. I would expect a continuing relationship that looks something like the one with WHSmith in the UK.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote