Notices

Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
gxxshock
gxxshock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Question PDF Size issues

Hey everyone,
I have a couple of Questions regarding viewing of PDFs on the PRS-700:
  1. Is there is a way to stay zoomed-in (save zoom setting) from one page to the next (right now it is really annoying because you have to reopen the zoom option everytime)
  2. I was wondering if you could tell me to which size (preferably in a metric unit) I should change a PDF in order for it to display optimally (and which program I should use to do this [change dimensions by scaling (not by adding margins)]

Some Background info: This is an issue in PDF files which don't have text embedded (i.e. Image PDFs) and I am trying to figure out how to display them properly. Right now I have to zoom in one every page seperately and the loading time for each page is also ridiculous (maybe due to 600dpi resolution?!?)

Maybe there is an all-in-one-solution/program to this dilemma, which does cropping and scaling and such things...

Thanks for any help
gxxshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I just change the font size in the PDF with the zoom button (SMall > MEdium) etc. Seems to work great for me...
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gxxshock View Post
Maybe there is an all-in-one-solution/program to this dilemma, which does cropping and scaling and such things...
At one time there were multiple "PDF to LRF" tools with active threads. At least one of these turned out to include bootlegged code and so is no longer hosted here (Yet another PDF to LRF converter), it is still apparently available though. You might also try soPdf - Better than Yet another PDF to LRF converter or PDFrasterFarian - makes A4/Letter PDFs usable. I don't know which of these is best for Image PDFs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
gxxshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
I just change the font size in the PDF with the zoom button (SMall > MEdium) etc. Seems to work great for me...
Unfortunately that does not work for PDFs which are just pictures (not text searchable).

Thanks for the Suggestions Wallcraft,but I was looking for a program which alters the pdf, because I just want to have one file (a PDF which I can view nicely both on the PC and the Reader)
Old 01-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Unfortunately that does not work for PDFs which are just pictures (not text searchable).

Thanks for the Suggestions Wallcraft,but I was looking for a program which alters the pdf, because I just want to have one file (a PDF which I can view nicely both on the PC and the Reader)
Any book which can be read on the reader can be read in the Sony ebook library software on the PC.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
Any book which can be read on the reader can be read in the Sony ebook library software on the PC.
Not that is exactly on the topic, but I am not sure about drm pdf's. You definitely can read them on the 700 using ADE for transfer, but I could not make them work on the Sony library.

Regarding the image pdf's - the best advice is to try and make sure each image is 600x800 in resolution or thereof when you make the pdf - if you make your scan you can use (free) xnview for batch resizing, crop and the like, if not you can try and extract the images and build your own pdf.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
But can't you read the DRM PDFs in some version of Acrobat on your computer?

you can't transfer ADE files without having it work on your computer, so you can at least read the ADE files on your computer as well as the reader.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
But can't you read the DRM PDFs in some version of Acrobat on your computer?

you can't transfer ADE files without having it work on your computer, so you can at least read the ADE files on your computer as well as the reader.
Sure you need to the drm files to work in ADE on your PC in order to transfer them.

The point was that someone asked in another thread how you get them on the 700 since the person tried using the Sony library software and it *does not* work. So it's *not true* that if you can read it on the 700, you can/must with the *Sony software*. Though it's true you can read anything on your 700, on the PC, but you may need ADE.

I usually would not quibble about this, but for people that have access to drm-pdf's from their library (e.g. e-NYPL), it's important to know how to transfer them on the 700 and not try going through the Sony software.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
gxxshock

Thanks for all the advice,
while in principle XNView should work, it unfortunately split up every page into several ones so I could not scale them to 600 x 800 pixels.

So far I found NitroPDF which can quite nicely crop PDFs but whenever I resize them to 600 x 800 every programs just adds margins (empty space) instead of scaling the content. I think what they do is just scale according to the original aspect ratio, while I want them to just scale until the content fills 600 x 800 no matter what.

Any ideas?

Last edited by gxxshock; 01-26-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice,
while in principle XNView should work, it unfortunately split up every page into several ones so I could not scale them to 600 x 800 pixels.

So far I found NitroPDF which can quite nicely crop PDFs but whenever I resize them to 600 x 800 every programs just adds margins (empty space) instead of scaling the content. I think what they do is just scale according to the original aspect ratio, while I want them to just scale until the content fills 600 x 800 no matter what.

Any ideas?
I agree with you, NitroPDF is one of the better PDF handlers. I attempted
to re-scale a scanned image of fine print so as to be readable in one standard
zoom selection on the 7. In the end, I was unable to do this without having
serious render delays on the reader itself. Nitro does a great job at scaling
vector images and texts but I think what you want is a 'global' scaling
at the full aspect ratio level so no white space is left. Short of
re-constructing your entire PDF, you might want to contact the nice folks
at Nitro, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction, if not solve your
issue all together...

Let us know how you do.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Post another way....

A little searching around yielded some interesting projects...
This may help you/those who need customized PDFs'

FROM the Developer of PAPERCROP
2. How can I change output format?
Edit config.lua. Find ".gif" and replace it as .jpg, .bmp or .png.
3. How can I improve readability?
Edit config.lua. One can adjust image processing parameters such as sharpen, contrast, gamma, dithering, and color depth.

input PDF
output PDF

Last edited by Server; 01-28-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:37 AM   #12
gxxshock

Thanks a lot,
just downloaded it, I will have a look if this does the job
Another program I can recommend is Advanced PDFTools, you can change the paper size (white border) and then scale the content (automatically it keeps the aspect ratio, but you can manually play around with percentages over 100% to stretch it [doesn't look too good though])
Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
Server
Anti-Narcissist

What I really like about PaperCrop, is that it automatically 'enhances' the
output text for better contrast on the reader. Sorta like adding a bold typeface
to the entire contents so that older eBooks are better optimized for
eInk technology.

Tags
pdf, print, size