Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, Erik Larson
In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin, Erik Larson
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot
Confederates in the Attic, Tony Horwitz
Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before, Tony Horwitz
Hiroshima, John Hersey
A Beautiful Mind, Sylvia Nasar
Ghost Soldiers: The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission, Hampton Sides
The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography, Simon Singh
Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith and Love, Dava Sobel
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West, Dee Brown
To Die Game: The Story of the Lowry Band, Indian Guerrillas of Reconstruction, William McKee Evans
In the Sewers of Lvov: A Heroic Story of Survival from the Holocaust, Robert Marshall
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #32
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Anything written by Antony Beevor.
Shelby Foote's Civil War Trilogy
A number of WWII books by Robert Leckie
Almost anything written by William Manchester
Ditto David McCullough
Ditto Barbara Tuchman
I remember Shelby Foote from Ken Burns' documentary on the Civil War. I didn't know he had written anything. I definitely will look into those.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #33
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
A couple of WWII books I remember from years past:

The Colditz Story by Par Reid (inspired the BBC TV series)
Reach For The Sky by Paul Brickhill - the biography of Douglas Bader - is one of the most inspriring books I've ever read. Not just restricted to the war.

Ian
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #34
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I remember Shelby Foote from Ken Burns' documentary on the Civil War. I didn't know he had written anything. I definitely will look into those.
I want to second the recommendation for the Shelby Foote Civil War trilogy. I spent a few months reading through the books and they are well worth the time.

Foote has also written some novels. I haven't yet read any of them.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #35
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I enjoyed Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S.C. Gwynne.
I first heard about it on Fresh Air.
Listen to the interview and read an excerpt here:
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/20/136438...omanche-empire
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #36
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I enjoyed Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S.C. Gwynne.
I first heard about it on Fresh Air.
Listen to the interview and read an excerpt here:
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/20/136438...omanche-empire
Thanks!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #37
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Historical non fiction books are boring, that's why they invented historical fiction, to make it interesting instead
Fictions by Rutherfurd or Eco are pleasant to read whereas real events, pfff !
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #38
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I just finished reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Are there any good books that fits the genre.
When I answered before, I forgot the obvious reply -- Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit.

I read both of Hillenbrand's books. And Seabiscuit, in my opinion was better -- even though I am not particularly interested in horses, and not at all a sports fan.

Hillenbrand is an excellent writer, but, in addition, she's a real expert on horse-racing. I trust her there.

I recommend Unbroken. And yet, much of what's in Unbroken is just one person's memory of a time long ago. Much is undoubtedly true, but some of it is literally unbelievable. See: Zamperini’s War.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #39
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Historical non fiction books are boring, that's why they invented historical fiction, to make it interesting instead
Fictions by Rutherfurd or Eco are pleasant to read whereas real events, pfff !
That is so not true
Even though I love reading historical fiction, I find historical non fiction books much more interesting to read
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #40
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
When I answered before, I forgot the obvious reply -- Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit.

I read both of Hillenbrand's books. And Seabiscuit, in my opinion was better -- even though I am not particularly interested in horses, and not at all a sports fan.

Hillenbrand is an excellent writer, but, in addition, she's a real expert on horse-racing. I trust her there.

I recommend Unbroken. And yet, much of what's in Unbroken is just one person's memory of a time long ago. Much is undoubtedly true, but some of it is literally unbelievable. See: Zamperini’s War.
Yes I've got to read Seabiscuit. I've read nothing but good reviews. I agree with you, Hillenbrand is indeed an excellent writer. Unbroken was very well written, there was never a dull moment.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #41
Gazella
Wizard

Just discovered Walter Lord's books. Anyone read any of his historical works?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #42
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have his "A Night to Remember" on deck but haven't actually read anything of his yet.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #43
Gazella
Wizard

Yes I got A Night to Remember yesterday after reading the reviews.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #44
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
I have his "A Night to Remember" on deck but haven't actually read anything of his yet.
That's very droll
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #45
cghipp
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
That's very droll
Ha ha - completely unintentional and only meant in the baseball sense, I promise. However, if I had thought of it I would be happy to claim it!