Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Calibre working only 47%

I've been singing the praises of Calibre far and wide -- best library I've had by a long chalk. Never a second's trouble until ...

Now it ain't a-workin'. If I try to auto-convert books I've downloaded to drop into my 505 (as I always have successfrully in the past), it gets stuck at 47% If I tell Calibre not to convert, the summersaulting egg-timer tells me all's OK -- but the book doesn't arrive in my reader.

Any thoughts?

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

HUGE APLOGIES TO KOVID AND CALIBRE: This is my error, I discover. I can't find how to delete this thread. Perhaps one of the mods would be kind enough to get rid of it for me. So sorry. Neil
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
HUGE APLOGIES TO KOVID AND CALIBRE: This is my error, I discover. I can't find how to delete this thread. Perhaps one of the mods would be kind enough to get rid of it for me. So sorry. Neil
Neil,
Please tell us what you experienced so maybe someone else won't think there is a Calibre error and report a similar trouble.
- What did you experience? [I think you gave us this piece]
- What did you do to resolve it?

No where near as fun as fiction writing, but sometimes a short technical writing blurb can save a lot of people a lot of time (so we can return to our fiction writing and reading!). Thanx
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr

ENTIRELY my fault, pking:

I'd signed up for what I thought was a free ebook library. Over the past week or so, I downloaded and read five books. Today I downloaded (or thought I did) a couple more from there to Calibre and they would neither convert nor drop into my 505.

It was only then that I realised MY mistake: The library allows only five free downloads before you must pay a subscription.

As I say; absolutely my error and Calibre -- again -- comes out tops.

Many apologies for this misleading thread.

Cheers. Neil
Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
The library allows only five free downloads before you must pay a subscription.
Neil,

Dr. Goyal is observing radio silence currently, but I would love to see a feature in Calibre that permitted more that five free downloads. It may be we're asking a little much of Calibre to implement that though.

Thanks for the explanation! And thanks for posting the information concerning your book site and the books you sent me. Haven't begun them yet, but they are safely posted in MTRP (pronounced em-troop, meaning My To Read Pile, a notional stack of physical and virtual books loosely ranked in an unfathomable, capricious, and often changing merit order that amazingly dwindles over time requiring frequent additions to maintain any semblance of a 'pile' of books.)
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Dr. Goyal is observing radio silence currently, but I would love to see a feature in Calibre that permitted more that five free downloads. It may be we're asking a little much of Calibre to implement that though.
It sounds to me as if this is not a Calibre issue - but an issue with the site in question.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It sounds to me as if this is not a Calibre issue - but an issue with the site in question.
It is a feature [problem] on the site, and not a Calibre problem.

I was being facetious, but not obvious enough about it. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr

The site is called [illegal site link - Moderator]. I read about it in another thread here. An impressive library and a pretty fair deal from the looks of it. As I say, though, the problem I hit was my fault for not having read the conditions properly and shooting, with all the enthusiasm of a kid let loose in a free candy shop, straight into the books list. Cheers. Neil

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-17-2010 at 04:04 PM.