Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I remember reading somewhere that a big chunk of books sold don't get read, that they are bought by people who like to shop more than they like to read. Raise the price high enough, and you lose those sales. I think this is a different effect than just drifting away from reading in general.
Excellent point. I was guilty of this myself. I used to buy way more ebooks than I read. I think the initial rush to gobble up ebooks (either because of huge bargains or the wish to replace nostalgic favorites from their past) might be over. I can't be the only one transitioning to a "buy one/read one regimen. The instant availability of ebooks lends itself perfectly to such a practice.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #32
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I agree. I had huge stacks of print books never read and then kept buy more ebooks.

My big drop in spending was from the original 2010 switch...and I never picked up the habit now. I may spend more on a few of my very favorite authors, but I no longer pick up all those "this is a series that looks interesting, so I better get it while I'm thinking of it" books. I have some series with 8-9 books in them, and I still haven't gotten around to reading the first one!

Now, I wait to buy - or borrow from the library.

Another big switch for me started in 2012 when I moved. I started listening to audiobooks so I could pack (clean, move, clean, unpack, organize)...and now it's hard to make myself sit still and do NOTHING but read a book.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #33
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Our MR Ebook Buyers Support Group at work .
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #34
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Excellent point. I was guilty of this myself. I used to buy way more ebooks than I read. I think the initial rush to gobble up ebooks (either because of huge bargains or the wish to replace nostalgic favorites from their past) might be over. I can't be the only one transitioning to a "buy one/read one regimen. The instant availability of ebooks lends itself perfectly to such a practice.
I know I was buying some 'must-have' digital versions I already had in my print library, and I have transitioned from print to ebook. Like you, I'm at the buy one - read one stage. And my TBR ebook pile is daunting right now.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #35
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I had him pegged as someone who wouldn't let facts get in the way of his opinions. Clearly I was wrong.
Why clear? Because he agrees with you? What about next time he says something you totally disagree with, as will happen? Then he's back to not caring about facts

Maybe I can quote something from his last article that will take away the wait for you:

Quote:
But we’re still many years — most likely a decade or more — from any real changing of the guard.
I don't think the changing of the guard he's talking about would be the replacement of the advance-funded research-centered major-publisher books I tend to me read with titles that sell 100 copies a year. I find it hard to believe that trend can keep on going for long, but, of course, time will tell. Shatzkin's United Artists idea is more plausible, but I don't see it being the kind of change you are hoping for.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-07-2015 at 09:00 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2015, 09:49 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Why clear? Because he agrees with you?
Not at all. It has nothing to do with agreeing with me, and everything to do with him saying; "I used to think this, and now I see that I was wrong." Publicly. It takes guts and integrity to do that.

Quote:
What about next time he says something you totally disagree with, as will happen? Then he's back to not caring about facts
Nope. Now I know he may change his mind later. And own it if/when he does. Are you seriously calling me out for why I'm saying I may have been wrong about the man's convictions? How weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Shatzkin's United Artists idea is more plausible, but I don't see it being the kind of change you are hoping for.
Just what kind of change is it you're under the impression I'm hoping for?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-07-2015 at 09:57 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #37
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
"I used to think this, and now I see that I was wrong." Publically. It takes guts to do that.
Fair enough. My last post was at least half mistaken.

Of course, I don't think that even taking back 100 percent of my last post would takes guts. This is mostly because the good folks here (unlike some of Shatzkin's readers, who know Shatzkin) don't know me in real life.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-07-2015 at 10:13 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:40 AM   #38
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Please, don't put words in my mouth. Thank you. This is what I said.

Not just entertainment. Although, it does stand to reason the more hours spent viewing tv and movies is less time reading. The more hours people work is less time reading, etc. There is only 24 hrs in one day.

I don't care for absolutes without specific data which we lack.
We know that ebooks sales from 1200 publishers are down 9.3%. Most of the 1200 are small/med indie presses not on Agency. Since the reported losses from the BPHs are less than 9.3 it means that the other pubs are having more significant revenue losses. We don't know the reasons.

Regarding the $200 million- that's 8 months of 50 Shades' sales. We didn't have one of those recently. Speaking of which has PRH released any numbers? The have Grey and the latest Dr Seuss. Last year PRH had major sales increases and profits to the point where all US employees received a bonus. The year end report said they sold 100 million digital books in 2014. I think they're fine.

I agree with those that said Overdrive/library is having an effect. The paperback buyers are switching to low cost ebooks, maybe KU. Price reductions from the BPH. The #1 bestseller is a Penguin book for $6.99. Perhaps, that is the sweet spot and they will experiment with that. Plus, all the factors I previously stated.

Personally, I am reading and buying less than previous years, 41 books down to 25. I now spend more on movies and tv shows than ebooks. I guess I'm contributing to ebook losses but adding to Netflix's record revenue/profits.
Now, now, now, get with the program. The point is to bash the evil BHP and praise the saintly Amazon, not to look at the facts, or lack of facts. What we have is a lot of estimates and guesses which we are comparing to previous years' estimates and guesses. Those with the fact aren't really talking except in gross terms.

My personal buying has been fairly steady since the 80's when I got out of school. As you say, there is only so much time in a day and work takes up a significant slice that I use to spend reading when I was a teen. I do find that I'm buying more audiobooks since it's become so easy to listen to them while driving or doing mundane tasks at work. One author's blog that I read pointed out that audiobooks have become a significant revenue stream for him. Those figures aren't considered either.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote