Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
lamzor
lamzor began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to: Nook with any font (incl. Czech/Slovak/Russian/Polish and other chars)

If you ever wanted to replace your 3 default nook fonts or you wanted to read czech, slovak, russian, polish, and other books(without font embedding), keep reading.

Everyone kept saying that font embedding is the only easy way how to change font in your nook(while reading epub file for example). Font embedding was mostly used to allow nook owners from Europe to read books in their native languages.
I found out that there is much easier way.
There is russian custom nook firmware(from same team who created mynook.ru Launcher).
Default keyboard/UI language is english - no worries, russian language can be turned on in setting(extra application for that).

This firmware exports 3 nook default fonts from the device to its internal memory. You can replace this fonts with any unicode font you like. This also allows nonUS nook owners to use fonts with full unicode charset.
new folder in nook looks like this:
http://i35.tinypic.com/wwj3gw.jpg
(new default fonts in this firmware can handle most central/eastern europe characters - czech, slovak, russian included)

This firmware has also all softroot features. It has mynook.ru launcher preinstalled. All essential applications from nookdevs are also preinstalled(NookLibrary,Nook WiFi Locker, Nook File Manager, Nook File Manager etc.).
Installing new applications is done via ADB or nookmarket(just like on softrooted nook).
There is also no reported battery drain issue etc. Im using this firmware for few days now and havent found single problem.

How to install this firmware:
detailed how to: http://tinyurl.com/32btd2a (page is russian so i used google translator)
Its just like doing softroot. Install 1.0.0 firmware, then update to mynook.ru FW.

In case of any questions, please use this topic. If you tried this FW and you like it, let other people know via this topic.

Note:
As of right now, Nooks with serial #s starting with 10031 (running firmware 1.4.1) cannot be rooted(neither softroot, nor mynook.ru firmware described above), and should NOT be attempted!

Last edited by lamzor; 08-26-2010 at 07:59 AM.
lamzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Atomix
Enthusiast
Atomix began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Well, theres no reason why nookdevs cant do the same export thing. I doubt there will be many to reinstall the whole firmware, just for fonts.
Atomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
lamzor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomix View Post
Well, theres no reason why nookdevs cant do the same export thing. I doubt there will be many to reinstall the whole firmware, just for fonts.
as of now, softroot offers worse font settings
http://nookdevs.com/Font_Changes

its not that everyone wants different fonts. im not from US and nook doesnt support my native language. this russian FW is by far the best way how to use nook when your language isnt supported by default nook.

this FW is exactly the same as softroot, just has extra font setting. which is nice addition for some(for me, this was key feature of nook).

it took me week to find this info on russian forums using google translator. my post is note to another people looking for same information. it might also help some people who would love to use different fonts.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:16 AM   #4
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamzor View Post
Its just like doing softroot. Install 1.0.0 firmware, then update to mynook.ru FW.

Please note that this firmware CANNOT crack newly released nooks with serials 10031xxx+(included) yet, just like softroot.
That's a bit capable of being misunderstood. To make it clear: don't do this with newer nooks (with 1.4.1 firmware), it will brick your device.

It's not the softroot which bricks the newer nooks, ist the official 1.0 firmware. On newer nooks, which come with firmware 1.4.1 preinstalled, there's no internal MicroSD card, instead there's a soldered memory chip and some additional hardware changes (cheaper modem etc.). If you downgrade these newer nooks to any previous firmware version (1.0 to 1.4), your nook won't boot, cause there are no drivers to support this hardware. If you downgrade to 1.0 (in order to be able to install unsigned firmware packages) your nook will be bricked, cause the 1.0 firmware will replace the recovery image (with a version, which isn't able to boot). Since the internal memory is soldered, there's no way (except for Intrisync) to rebuild these devices!

Some of the other firmware version (>1.0 and <1.4.1) may be recoverable, as not all of them replace the recovery image (at least one). But (in my opinion) most of them replace the recovery image and therefore downgrading to this versions will brick the new nooks, too. And of course: downgrading to any firmware above 1.0 is pointless, since only 1.0 allows to install unsigned firmware images.

Last edited by :D ominik; 08-26-2010 at 04:28 AM.
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
lamzor

Quote:
Originally Posted by :D ominik View Post
re-wrote the final section a bit. should be clear now that no rooting should be done with new nooks(with 1.4.1 FW).

thanks for the info. i knew why are the devices bricked, but i thought that recovery image that kicks in after 3 failed boots is not changed upon firmware update(FW downgrade). it seems that B&N is ignorant, stupid or devious.

interesting reading about this issue :
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/.../614461/page/3

post #44
Advert