Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
Starts up by itself, randomly. What the...?????

Has anyone had this problem, or maybe could point me to a thread about it (couldn't find one)? My Cybook Gen3 (v1.2 Build 796) keeps booting itself up, all on its own, randomly, when it feels like it. It will just be laying there on a table, or whatever, and out of the blue, the light goes on, it boots up, etc.

A few minutes ago I watched it boot all the way up to the library, shut itself off immediately, then instantly boot itself up again and shut itself off. (No, I haven't been watching too many Twilight Zone episodes. This is really happening.)

Does anyone have ANY idea how this can happen??? This keeps killing the battery, because it keeps turning itself on, and eventually gets stuck in some stage or other of the boot. (Perhaps as it drains the battery and can no longer boot up all the way, or shut down all the way, the green light just stays on while stuck in one of the initial screens.)

I've tried jiggling it around when it's off, to see if I can make it go on (perhaps due to a loose on/off switch or something), but that doesn't cause it to turn on. It only does it when it feels like it, and it's just sitting there perfectly still, uninfluenced by anything around it (besides ghosts, perhaps).

But at this point it's guaranteed to do it, every day and/or night. Somebody please help me make sense of this, and keep me from testing it with a sledge hammer!
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Hmm... never heard of such problem. It keeps turning itself on and off constantly? Perhaps on/off button is somehow stuck. Try to move it (button) around and see if something happens. This sounds like a trip to Paris for your reader, I'm afraid.

DrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboards View Post
Has anyone had this problem, or maybe could point me to a thread about it (couldn't find one)? My Cybook Gen3 (v1.2 Build 796) keeps booting itself up, all on its own, randomly, when it feels like it. It will just be laying there on a table, or whatever, and out of the blue, the light goes on, it boots up, etc.

A few minutes ago I watched it boot all the way up to the library, shut itself off immediately, then instantly boot itself up again and shut itself off. (No, I haven't been watching too many Twilight Zone episodes. This is really happening.)

Does anyone have ANY idea how this can happen??? This keeps killing the battery, because it keeps turning itself on, and eventually gets stuck in some stage or other of the boot. (Perhaps as it drains the battery and can no longer boot up all the way, or shut down all the way, the green light just stays on while stuck in one of the initial screens.)

I've tried jiggling it around when it's off, to see if I can make it go on (perhaps due to a loose on/off switch or something), but that doesn't cause it to turn on. It only does it when it feels like it, and it's just sitting there perfectly still, uninfluenced by anything around it (besides ghosts, perhaps).

But at this point it's guaranteed to do it, every day and/or night. Somebody please help me make sense of this, and keep me from testing it with a sledge hammer!
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Well, it's not that it constantly turns itself on and off. It will sit there for a while, then out of nowhere turn itself on and off once or twice or 3 times in a row. I think I may be finding that if I shake it hard when it's off (and I can hear something shift around in there a little, like the battery, maybe... kinda thunking around, not clinking around like a smaller piece), then it may tend to stay off until I intentionally power it on. Maybe there's something that's in too close contact with something else, like the battery terminals or something, but if shaken (not stirred) it can be moved apart far enough to behave.

I wrote to Bookeen, and they wrote back to ask the serial number. I replied with the number, but haven't heard back yet. Maybe they'll have some light to shed on it.

Thanks for your reply and thoughts.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Good luck, and please keep us posted on further developement!
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I experienced this problem a few months ago - random switching on/off of a Cybook.

There was a file to fix it - Bookeen sent it to me. I backed up the ebooks on the internal memory, loaded the file, updated the firmware (back to 796) and I've had no problems since.

I hope yours is the same problem, as it was a very easy fix. Good luck!

and... please don't jiggle or shake your Cybook.

Last edited by cbell; 03-28-2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Added treat your Cybook carefully line!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur

Wow, that's great news! (That there might be a file to fix it.) Thanks for letting me know about this. Hopefully Bookeen will conclude that it's the same problem and send me the file as well.

My jiggle-and-shakin' days are over. Thanks for the good advice I needed that!