Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #31
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
They work wonders for a wobbly table...
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My Gen 4 Touch is still my go-to audio device, because it's so small and sleek. It has become increasingly less useful in other respects, however, as the tiny screen is much harder to navigate with my ageing eyes and because more and more of my apps have ceased to function as they require updates incompatible with its terminal OS.
That's about where I am too. I try other things and end up back with my 4th Gen Touch, but it's lack of current OS is a problem with some apps.

Quote:
These look really nice and I'd be delighted if one fell into my lap. But I can't come close to justifying forking out the premium price when I've got a couple of perfectly good unactivated smartphones that serve the same purpose, and at a fraction of the cost.
Yeah IIRC my LG Volt was $30. For the price I paid it's great, but I still prefer the touch for my on the go audio, which is mainly audiobooks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yeah IIRC my LG Volt was $30. For the price I paid it's great, but I still prefer the touch for my on the go audio, which is mainly audiobooks.
I got rid of my iPt 4 some time ago. I definitely like the LG Volt better. It's my go to audio player.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:25 AM   #34
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It really depends on how you use the device. I kept my iPod Classic for years just because of how much music it would hold, but eventually my music collection outgrew it. Now I keep all my music and audiobooks on my laptop for those places where I don't have internet access, and use iCloud. I do have a 128 G iPhone and iPad so I can keep a reasonable collection of what I'm currently listening to.

My major concern with the new iTouch is that with the latest release of the iOS, Apple moved audiobooks from iTunes to iBooks, which means that I can no longer set up playlist for my audiobooks. This is a major issue for me since I don't want to have to do anything with the iTouch when I'm driving, I want it to automatically go to the next book. I have no plans to upgrade my current iTouch until this issue is resolved.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #35
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
It's been close to 3 years since the 5th generation touch was released in 2012. I purchased the scaled down 5th generation model without the rear camera when it was first available in May 2013. I mainly purchased it to listen to music while working out at the gym. The gym has wifi so I can listen to Pandora, Spotify, etc. I also use it while bike riding or jogging. So basically it's a workout tool for me. The only other time I use it is to play music on my Sony bluetooth speaker. All the other things like taking pictures, reading ebooks or browsing the web I can do on the much larger screen of my phone. Besides more powerful hardware nothing much has changed. My 5th generation does what I need it to do pefectly. No need for me to upgrade. The only downside is that the battery does not last as long as it use to but it last long enough. I'm a Andriod guy and this is my only Apple device. My wife has. Ipad mini 2 though. Check out the 5 vs 6 generation comparisons in the link.

http://www.gizmag.com/ipod-touch-6g-vs-5g/38521/

Last edited by JerseyBiker; 08-13-2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Typo
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2015, 01:08 AM   #36
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I was excited until I saw it still has a 4" display. If they had bumped it to 4.7" or 5.5" (i.e., iPhone 6 size), that would have caught my attention. As it is ... meh.
Everyone has a preference but unlike the old days there are now many choices.

Personally I have turned my larger Samsung S3 phone over to my wife and taken over her old Samsung Victory with a 4 inch screen.

The 4 inch fits in my pocket much nicer.

For browsing I have a small collection of computers, large and small. The smallest screen -about 12 inches.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #37
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Got one. It's small indeed (especially compared to my nexus 6). First iOS devices for me.

I like the iPod itself, but really, i hate iTunes !! Silly stupid buggy software ! I knew we weren't going to be the best of friends, didn't though it would be that bad.

I might fix the problem with just using google play / DS audio.
** sighs **
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #38
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Got one. It's small indeed (especially compared to my nexus 6). First iOS devices for me.

I like the iPod itself, but really, i hate iTunes !! Silly stupid buggy software ! I knew we weren't going to be the best of friends, didn't though it would be that bad.

I might fix the problem with just using google play / DS audio.
** sighs **
iTunes played a major part in my switch to Sansa mp3 players.

I'm looking for a cheap Android phone to keep in the car now. The Clip Zip is great for everything but driving. I want a larger screen when in a moving vehicle.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:51 AM   #39
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
iTunes played a major part in my switch to Sansa mp3 players.

I'm looking for a cheap Android phone to keep in the car now. The Clip Zip is great for everything but driving. I want a larger screen when in a moving vehicle.
Yeah, I've mostly figured out iTunes now.

But i'll have to maintain my mp3 library twice. Else, no dice on my NAS or android phone.
Not that bad actually, when you're not trying to get you files out.

Why specifically android ?
Archos had some android media player (not sure if that's still the case). And it's archos, they usually are cheep. But media player is something they do well.

Cowon probably still have some (non android), media player. Probably more expensive though.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote