Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
web browsing Qs

Hi guys, some questions for you about what your experience is like when browsing websites on the Kindle Fire.

If you have NOT changed any settings to force one or the other, or try to use "m." in the URL, etc., do you find that you typically see the "regular" site, or the mobile site? I mean for large sites, and I'm particularly interested in ecommerce sites like the Gap, Best Buy, whatever shopping sites you use. Do these large sites ever redirect you to the mobile site, when they detect that your device is a Kindle Fire?

Do you ever change yourself to the mobile site, either by trying to force the URL or changing the user agent (if you can do that)?

How do you find that regular sites look on the Kindle Fire? Do they fit on the screen well? Any that look particularly good in size and spacing? (again, I'm really looking for large shopping sites, but any that you like would be good!)

How do you find that mobile sites look on Kindle Fire? Good or weird?

If you care to answer, it would be great to let me know if you use Fire or Fire HD!

You can see that I am a long-time member of this site, but this is getting background for my work (I hope that's ok). I work for a large ecommerce company and while we do mobile and tablets, we really focus on iphone and ipad. We are looking to expand and make sure our sites look good on other tablet screen sizes. I'm just trying to get some grounding first in what the experience is like.

Thank you very much!
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Regular

I have not used the silk browser much, the one I do use is dolphin with the flash app installed. Every forum/site that I go to look exactly as on my laptop browser, except much smaller. The text is incredibly sharp and clear and can be expanded for closer viewing or use.

So far I have found no need of a 3rd party app (taptalk) for example, useing silk or dolphin to log in or use (post) in this forum or any other forums that I post on for example.

Loving it!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 10-24-2012 at 11:57 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Really readable. I never use the mobile versions of sites on Silk, and when I do need them, I prefer the article format (glasses).
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I usually don't mind some mobile sites. But, from what I've seen on my Fire, regular sites look just fine on the screen (just smaller). Easy enough to read, navigate, use, etc.

Every now and again, the site will have ten pounds of crap stuffed into a 5 pound diaper, and the mobile version is more eye-friendly. But, those aren't too common.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Thanks, guys, this is helpful to me.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Liza59
Liza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: ereader
I use the opera mobile browser set to desktop. I can use the zoom feature if the font is too small.

For the rare instances I can not view in desktop I will change to mobile. I stay away from the mobile sites if possible as it feels like they are for small phone screens and not larger tablets.
Liza59 is offline   Reply With Quote