Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
charliearmoryco
charliearmoryco began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Accessing many files on an SD card

My Kindle hasn't arrived yet, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

A 4GB card can hold a lot of data. Reading the manual it didn't appear that it allows you to use a directory structure to organize your files. Are you just supposed to keep all your files at the root of the drive? A 4GB card could hold tens of thousands or documents. I'd hate to try to navigate through all of them in alphabetical order.
charliearmoryco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The underlying OS can use a directory structure, it just won't let you see it. My current workaround is to wait and let the Kindle index all the files, then use the search function to find stuff.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The underlying OS can use a directory structure, it just won't let you see it. My current workaround is to wait and let the Kindle index all the files, then use the search function to find stuff.
Ahhhhh. So the SD card may not be a viable option for housing stuff "off" the Kindle, since it won't have any kind of directory? I guess I had envisioned putting .prc files on the SD card and reading them straight off the card -- do you know if that's possible, Nate? Or is the card intended as another vehicle to move files from the computer to the Kindle, but not to read from?

The more I learn, the more excited I get -- I'm just hoping to get a realistic idea of the ways I'll be able to use it!
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
You can read an ebook off the card but my personal experience is that page turns are slower and it drains the battery faster.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
janiebegood
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
You can read an ebook off the card but my personal experience is that page turns are slower and it drains the battery faster.
Thanks, TallMomof2! Is there any way to select from a list of file names if you're reading straight from the card?
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle makes a listing of all your files as long as they are located in the proper folders. Your ebooks would be in the document folder on your SD card. There is also an Audible folder and an MP3 folder for the appropriate files.

In the Kindle listing it will indicate in a small box underneath the title the location of the file: Kindle, SD Card, or Amazon. Your choices for sorting the list are fairly primitive: Most Recent, Title, and Author. If you have a lot of books use the search function to find the particular book you want.

What I do is move the book from the SD Card to the Kindle when I read it to conserve the battery.

HTH
Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
janiebegood
Enthusiast

Thanks, TallMomof2! I'll play around with it when it finally arrives, see how workable it is. I appreciate the tip about moving it off the SD to conserve the battery.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The Kindle makes a listing of all your files as long as they are located in the proper folders. Your ebooks would be in the document folder on your SD card. There is also an Audible folder and an MP3 folder for the appropriate files.

HTH
[preface - my Kindle hasn't arrived yet either, so I'm collecting knowledge about how to use it]

Does the above mean that I can put books in a different folder, perhaps future-books and done-books, and they won't clutter the index on my Kindle main screen? I do this with my Palm.

Second question would be - is there a file manager on the Kindle which can move files from the SDcard/document/ folder into SDcard/done-books/ so they stop cluttering my index screen? Or move books from SDcard/future-books/ into SDcard/document/ when I'm ready to read them? Even if there is no file manager, I might be able to put the SDcard into my Palm to do that file moving. That way I could carry a bunch of future books with me, but not see *all* of them until I want to.

So -- would it work the way I've described?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Yes, you can definitely put books in a folder that the Kindle will not see. If you use MobiPocket 6.1 to send mobi files to the Kindle they will be put into a folder called ebooks. The Kindle doesn't "see" this folder so the files have to be moved by you while the Kindle and/or the SD card is connected to your computer.

The Kindle has a "Content Manager" that allows you to move files back and forth between Kindle memory and SD memory. But the content manager will not see any folders except the default folders so storing books in a different folder requires you to connect the Kindle to your computer to move them into the document folder.

So it won't work exactly how you want but it is doable as long as you connect to a computer.