Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 11-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Dictionary, Webster's: Webster's Dictionary 1913, v1, 22 Nov 07

Well, I was going to upload this dictionary, but it is over 13MB and the forum software won't let me upload anything over 10MB. If someone will make the necessary changes and let me know, I'll upload the file. I tried using Mobipocket's proprietary high-compression, but after two hours and only half-done, I gave up and used regular compression.

The dictionary is based on the 1913 edition of Webster's (with minor edits). I have reformatted and converted it to a Mobipocket dictionary. I don't have any devices on which to test this dictionary, so I am interested in knowing if it works for you. I am particularly interested in knowing how well it works on the Cybook, as that is what I will probably buy when I have the funds.

BTW, there is a more modern, much larger free dictionary that I can post later, after finding out how well this one works.

Edit: The forum software apparently looks at the file extension and not the actual MIME type, so I had to rename the two parts of the Zip file. The original names were Webster1913.zip.001 and Webster1913.zip.002. This is using 7Zip. Other Zip software may be different.

EDIT: 20 Feb 08 by HarryT - Added dictionary as a single file attachment for ease of use; thanks to DMcCunney for providing this.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Webster1913.prc (13.75 MB, 12800 views)

Last edited by jbenny; 11-22-2007 at 09:26 PM.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Would making it a .zip or .rar file compress it sufficiently?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
We increased the max upload sizes for e-books from 5 to 10Mb recently.

jbenny, RAR allows you to split the compressed file into two or more archives. Do you know how to do it? If not, feel free to send me a note and I can help.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I loaded the dictionary on my Gen3 and I could open it. But when I looked up words I did not seem to get any explanations from this dictionary. But then I do not remember how it is expected to work when you have two dictionaries. I also put the dictionary om the SD card.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Can you try it as the only dictionary? When I load it into the Mobipocket emulator, it works ok.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This important upload should be moved to the prc/mobi uploads section.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
tanir
tanir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ericsson P1i / mobipocket
tanir sony P1i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
Can you try it as the only dictionary? When I load it into the Mobipocket emulator, it works ok.
I tried to download the zip file attachments but it has no entry (currupt)
I am really very interested of having a free dictionary for my P1i / mobipocket reader that really works, cause the commercial websters 1913 dont work well in finding the main word, it only referes to string words. I dont use credit cards that why I cant buy dictionaries in the net, you mentioned your gonna post a better one hope I can avail. more power to you.
tanir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
tanir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
Well, I was going to upload this dictionary, but it is over 13MB and the forum software won't let me upload anything over 10MB. If someone will make the necessary changes and let me know, I'll upload the file. I tried using Mobipocket's proprietary high-compression, but after two hours and only half-done, I gave up and used regular compression.

The dictionary is based on the 1913 edition of Webster's (with minor edits). I have reformatted and converted it to a Mobipocket dictionary. I don't have any devices on which to test this dictionary, so I am interested in knowing if it works for you. I am particularly interested in knowing how well it works on the Cybook, as that is what I will probably buy when I have the funds.

BTW, there is a more modern, much larger free dictionary that I can post later, after finding out how well this one works.

Edit: The forum software apparently looks at the file extension and not the actual MIME type, so I had to rename the two parts of the Zip file. The original names were Webster1913.zip.001 and Webster1913.zip.002. This is using 7Zip. Other Zip software may be different.

I assume that now this topic gets moved back to the uploaded books section?
I tried to download the zip file attachments but it has no entry (currupt)
I am really very interested of having a free dictionary for my sony ericsson P1i / mobipocket reader that really works, cause the commercial websters 1913 dont work well in finding the main word, it only referes to string words. I dont use credit cards that why I cant buy dictionaries in the net, you mentioned your gonna post a better one hope I can avail. more power to you.

tanir2002@yahoo.com

Last edited by tanir; 12-13-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: additional
Old 12-23-2007, 03:36 AM   #9
josephsmith
josephsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony sonyericsson M600i
Well done, boy, thank you for your job.
josephsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:30 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Tanir - did you rename the downloads to "Webster1913[1].zip.001" & "Webster1913[1].zip.002" before uncompressing them?

That worked fine for me, I was left with one file - Webster1913.prc, which I loaded to my SD card.

It's the only dictionary on my CyBook (I'd deleted the sample dictionary it came with) - and works very well.
I looked up the word 'composite' and the initial display listed 'composite' several times and asked me which one I wanted; which doesn't seem very helpful (although it does alert you that there are several entries - don't just settle for the first). When I selected the first, it took to me to the Dictionary and I was then able to page forward through the different definitions, before using the Back button to return to the original text.
Although the lookup highlighter will include surrounding punctuation, the Lookup just ignores that to locate the word.

The only issue I came across was that plural forms don't seem to return any hits ( I tried 'upgrades', 'replacements', 'designers'). I don't know if this is the case for all Dictionaries.

This is an excellent addition to my CyBook library - jbenny!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:28 AM   #11
tanir

Can not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Tanir - did you rename the downloads to "Webster1913[1].zip.001" & "Webster1913[1].zip.002" before uncompressing them?
Man if you rename it to "Webster1913[1].zip.001" the file will have a different extension. the more it won't work! the file should have a zip ext. in the end to be identified as zip file, otherwise it will change into a funny icon.

Can you kindly email me the decompressed zip files. tanir2002@yahoo.com

I would greatly appreciate If anyone can share a good dictionary that works for sony ericsson p1i, except jar or jad.

Thanks Sparrow.

Last edited by tanir; 12-28-2007 at 04:35 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-28-2007, 06:28 AM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
[QUOTE=tanir;132401]
Quote:

Man if you rename it to "Webster1913[1].zip.001" the file will have a different extension. the more it won't work! the file should have a zip ext. in the end to be identified as zip file, otherwise it will change into a funny icon.

Can you kindly email me the decompressed zip files.
Sorry, I can't email the attachment.

The 001 & 002 extensions will work - in 7Zip, they let it know the original file is in two sections, it then combines the compressed file into one uncompressed file.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:06 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The only issue I came across was that plural forms don't seem to return any hits ( I tried 'upgrades', 'replacements', 'designers'). I don't know if this is the case for all Dictionaries.
The commercial dictionaries you can buy for the Gen3 (and other Mobi devices) have all the inflected forms of words in them (or at least, the Chambers dictionary, which I bought, does).

I think it's a very worthwhile investment to buy a decent dictionary. It's a one-time payment which will work with all your books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #14
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
If the bugs can be worked out of the implementation, the Webster 1913 should be a great benefit to Mobi users, especially those who typically read old books. This dictionary contains a huge number of obsolete words and meanings, and these are exactly what one needs when reading pre-20th century books.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #15
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Took me a couple tries but you need to do the following.

1. download "Webster1913.001.zip"
2. download "Webster1913.002.zip"
3. download and install 7-zip
4. rename "Webster1913.001.zip" to "Webster1913.zip.001"
5. rename "Webster1913.002.zip" to ""Webster1913.zip.002"
6. Right-click on "Webster1913.zip.001" and select "7-zip->Extract to Webster1913\"

7-zip will find both files and combine and unzip them. 7-zip and renaming are required for this to work. This will result in /Webster1913/Webster1913.prc.

Last edited by carld; 12-28-2007 at 09:12 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote