Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
waterproof case for Kobo Touch

No, it's not a fancy item. It's one of the soft plastic pouches in a three for $10 package of such clever products sold by Zellers in Canada in the camping section. Wee bit of a squeeze, but after I had to reapply for my passport when my dugout sunk in the Philippines I think I'll spend $3 for safety.
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Ziplock bag should do as well; if you can find the vacu-seal bags, all the better.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
msoulier
New Kobo Reader
msoulier began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Ziplock bag should do as well; if you can find the vacu-seal bags, all the better.
Yep. Using ziplock myself. Much cheaper and it works fine for those rainy days watching my son play soccer. I might even take it camping.
msoulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
It happened to me once as I went to the park that it started raining. I put the device in the box, found a shelter and continued reading. Now, unless you do some deep diving because you don't like to be disturbed when you read, I find a waterproof jacket/bag/thingie another thing where the creators want to make a little more from their original idea.
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
I've tried putting my Kobo Touch into a few ziplock bags (mostly the freezer type) and the IR Touch doesn't work through the bag.

Does anyone know of a specific type of ziplock bag that will work with the KT?
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
ladybugh
Enthusiast
ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Sage and Elipsa
I'm experimenting too...not that it will get wet... but mostly if I want to read at the beach to ensure it is protected from the sand.

I did get the camping one at zellers..you can read but you have to put the font large as it is the plastic is textured and not clear.

I haven't had too much luck with ziplock so far...the best I found was the ziplock size small freezer but the IR doesn't read your touches too accurately but at least the bag is small enough that the plastic doesn't rest on the screen.

Would be interested to hear what else is out there....
ladybugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
do skins really have clear screen covers and do they help for rain etc?

I see that those rubbery (silicon?) looking covers with an opening for the screen are being sold for Kobo touch now. I presumed that they just had a big hole but a post elsewhere on this forum suggest to me that there is a clear plastic sheet that protects the screen itself. Good idea if this is true, though it seems like a marketing mistake that there isn't a big sign advertising this fact. I certainly missed this feature, if it exists.

But back to this thread, is there any water resistance factor to these 'skin' things?
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
ladybugh
Enthusiast
ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Sage and Elipsa
If they are like the ones that they had for the Kobo WIFI - then no - there is no clear cover over the screen. It is just an open hole in the silicone.
ladybugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
anchor24e
anchor24e has read every ebook posted at MobileReadanchor24e has read every ebook posted at MobileReadanchor24e has read every ebook posted at MobileReadanchor24e has read every ebook posted at MobileReadanchor24e has read every ebook posted at MobileReadanchor24e has read every ebook posted at MobileReadanchor24e has read every ebook posted at MobileReadanchor24e has read every ebook posted at MobileReadanchor24e has read every ebook posted at MobileReadanchor24e has read every ebook posted at MobileReadanchor24e has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kobo touch
With my old Kindle when I would want to read in the bath I'd simple drop it in a ziplock bag. Tried this with my Kobo Touch and it's a no go. The bag sticks to the screen registering as a press and hold causing continues page turns until you pull the bag off the screen.

I simple grabbed a box of heat shrink window plastic I had left over from winterizing my home for the winter. A few strips of the removable double sided tape on the back and neatly wrapped the Kobo touch in the heat shrink plastic. Few seconds under a hair drier to tighten up the plastic and done.

When pressing on the screen the plastic has enough spring to not stick to the screen and when it starts to loosen up I just throw under the hair dryer again for a few more seconds to tighten it up again.

Only draw back is I have to peal it all off every few weeks to charge it.

All in all it works for me until I find an actual working waterproof case that doesn't stick to the screen and is easily removed opened for charging and transferring books.
anchor24e is offline   Reply With Quote