Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
WzeroMN
WzeroMN began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Backup Restore Application

Is there a good and preferably free application to backup an image of my SD that has the CM7 installation. It took a LONG time to create and download applications and books. I prefer not to do it again.
WzeroMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
WzeroMN
WzeroMN began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Backup of CM7 SD card and all of its partitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WzeroMN View Post
Is there a good and preferably free application to backup an image of my SD that has the CM7 installation. It took a LONG time to create and download applications and books. I prefer not to do it again.
I just tried Acronis backup and it did backup and restore the boot partition. The problem is that there are three others created when you first boot on the Nook and these partitions are not marked active and they are not seen by Acronis or any other by the android applications since there is no other place to put user data that I know of. I assume these are used by the applications on Nook since the internal storage is not being used or at least I cannot find out where things like downloaded applications and books are placed.

Therefore, have I lost all of my data?

Have I lost my CM7 install

Can the now single boot partition that uses the whole card be used to do a new install and will it be used for user data storage after that?
WzeroMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I just tried Acronis backup and it did backup and restore the boot partition. The problem is that there are three others created when you first boot on the Nook and these partitions are not marked active and they are not seen by Acronis
If you want to back up your SD card by attaching it to your PC then you should probably be using something like Win32DiskImager to make an image of the ENTIRE SD card, since Windows can only normally see the boot partition. You could also install clockworkmod recovery and do a nandroid backup to do a full backup.

Quote:
or any other by the android applications since there is no other place to put user data that I know of. I assume these are used by the applications on Nook since the internal storage is not being used or at least I cannot find out where things like downloaded applications and books are placed.
In addition to the boot partition that you can see in Windows, if your SD card is 2GB or better, you will have a 460 MB Android SYSTEM partition, a 975MB Android DATA partition, and the remainder of the SD card will be a FAT32 partition seen as an SD card by the running Android system. The SD card partition is where your own data, such as maps, books or music, will be stored. Downloaded applications run from the SYSTEM and DATA partitions.

Quote:
Therefore, have I lost all of my data?

Have I lost my CM7 install
You will be able to determine that better than anybody just by booting it up and checking.
Quote:
Can the now single boot partition that uses the whole card be used to do a new install and will it be used for user data storage after that?
NO !
A single boot partition is useless. Only the boot information is there. See above for what other partitions are necessary. To repair a failed install it would be best to restore the SD card back to factory fresh with the SDformatter application from SDcard.org. That way any old mistakes will not be carried forward to the new installation.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
I was able to use the EASEUS Todo Backup Home Edition (Free) to backup my entire 16GB SD card (with all 4 partitions).

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/...p-software.htm

The Home Edition of EASEUS products are free.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
I was able to use the EASEUS Todo Backup Home Edition (Free) to backup my entire 16GB SD card (with all 4 partitions).

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/...p-software.htm

The Home Edition of EASEUS products are free.
I am confused, why back up when you can make a full image to restore from with something like Win32diskimager?

Does the backup allow you to grab specific files or something? If it does I could see having both a backup and an image.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
I am confused, why back up when you can make a full image to restore from with something like Win32diskimager?

Does the backup allow you to grab specific files or something? If it does I could see having both a backup and an image.
For me the main reason was that Win32DiskImager did not work for me. It let me create the original image just fine, but whenever I try to restore an image, it comes back immediately (without any errors) and says it is done restoring the image, but the target mem card is always empty.

Secondary reason is the size of the backup. A sector by sector disk imager will always create a backup file that is same as the size of the original disk (16GB in my case) ... even if majority of the card may be unused. EASEUS will compress the first and fourth partitions a great deal (since these are FAT32) and will only make sector by sector copy of partitions 2 and 3 which are small anyway. So the overall backup file size is much smaller.

EASEUS will also allow you to do file by file backup, or backing up just one partition and not others etc ... which I have not used, but some people may find useful.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
For me the main reason was that Win32DiskImager did not work for me. It let me create the original image just fine, but whenever I try to restore an image, it comes back immediately (without any errors) and says it is done restoring the image, but the target mem card is always empty.

Secondary reason is the size of the backup. A sector by sector disk imager will always create a backup file that is same as the size of the original disk (16GB in my case) ... even if majority of the card may be unused. EASEUS will compress the first and fourth partitions a great deal (since these are FAT32) and will only make sector by sector copy of partitions 2 and 3 which are small anyway. So the overall backup file size is much smaller.

EASEUS will also allow you to do file by file backup, or backing up just one partition and not others etc ... which I have not used, but some people may find useful.
Good to know, Thanks. I think I will grab a copy of Easeus as it would be useful

I had problems using win32 at first but I wasn't doing it right. I assume you are but do you first browse to the directory the img is in then mouse over the buttons and it tells you which to press to make an image on the device. I wonder if what you thought was an image was possibly a blank file.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote