Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2022, 01:12 PM   #1
Svens
Enthusiast
Svens began at the beginning.

Device: Кіndlе5,NGL,PB650, KPW3,KPW4,KPW5, Kobo Aura One
"Dark Mode" tables problem

Guys, do you also find "InvertScreen" better working than "Dark Mode" when it comes to tables or is it just my Kobo Aura One? I am wondering how the tables look with those Kobo models, where "Dark Mode" is oficcially built into the menu settings - like Kobo Libra 2, for instance?

Is there any hope that "Dark Mode" will get better with the table contents? Or, at least, is there any way to apply "InvertScreen" without having to restart the Kobo (i am talking about the last two firmwares).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002-NORMAL.png
Views:	110
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	191814   Click image for larger version

Name:	002-INVERT.png
Views:	99
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	191815   Click image for larger version

Name:	002-DARK.png
Views:	102
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	191816   Click image for larger version

Name:	001-INVERT.png
Views:	89
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	191817   Click image for larger version

Name:	001_DARK MODE.png
Views:	86
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	191818  
Svens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If this is ePub, try KePub. If this is KePub, try ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2022, 04:18 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you look at the epub source, is the table actually a table or is it an image of the table? Dark Mode does not invert images which would match what you are seeing.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:35 PM   #4
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
delete

Last edited by Semwize; 01-23-2022 at 05:04 PM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:39 AM   #5
Svens
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you look at the epub source, is the table actually a table or is it an image of the table? Dark Mode does not invert images which would match what you are seeing.
Yes, this is a table. If the table was an image, the data inside wouldn't disappear. And the problem is exactly that - the data in the table disappears. The file is kepub. If I have the opportunity, I will upload epub to try it, but I don't expect any difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002-INVERT.png
Views:	62
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	191829   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002-DARK.png
Views:	60
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	191830  
Advert
Old 01-24-2022, 06:49 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens View Post
Yes, this is a table. If the table was an image, the data inside wouldn't disappear.
Not necessarily. Someone reported a very similar looking problem shortly after Dark Mode was introduced. From memory, the book had a table in one place and images for tables in other places. One of the images had a transparent background. That meant in Dark Mode, the background of the image was still black black, and the black text disappeared.
Quote:
And the problem is exactly that - the data in the table disappears. The file is kepub. If I have the opportunity, I will upload epub to try it, but I don't expect any difference.
If you can post sample code for that page and the CSS, we can try it and see.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:13 AM   #7
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not necessarily
The screenshots show that this is a table, the beginning on one page, the continuation on the other. png won't tear up like that
Old 01-24-2022, 07:31 AM   #8
Svens
Enthusiast

Quote:
Not necessarily. Someone reported a very similar looking problem shortly after Dark Mode was introduced. From memory, the book had a table in one place and images for tables in other places. One of the images had a transparent background. That meant in Dark Mode, the background of the image was still black black, and the black text disappeared.

If you can post sample code for that page and the CSS, we can try it and see.
I am not very familiar with this matter, but i hope i am attaching what you need. Also, thank you for everything you do for us!
Attached Files
File Type: rar part0034.rar (8.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-24-2022, 06:58 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens View Post
I am not very familiar with this matter, but i hope i am attaching what you need. Also, thank you for everything you do for us!
We also need the stylesheets to see the classes used. That lets use see how the elements in the book are being displayed. There are two stylesheets, "stylesheet.css" and "page_styles.css". The first one probably has what we are looking for.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:39 PM   #10
Svens
Enthusiast

Quote:
We also need the stylesheets to see the classes used. That lets use see how the elements in the book are being displayed. There are two stylesheets, "stylesheet.css" and "page_styles.css". The first one probably has what we are looking for.
I'm sorry - I forgot them.
Attached Files
File Type: rar stylesheet.rar (8.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: rar page_styles.rar (132 Bytes, 40 views)
Old 01-25-2022, 12:42 AM   #11
Semwize
Guru

@Svens
you have it written in css there: background-color: #fff;
This should be removed and everything will be fine.

Made a replacement for you, just change .css in the book.
untested
Attached Files
File Type: rar stylesheet.rar (8.4 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Semwize; 01-25-2022 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:23 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

And to demonstrate, and let others see the wonders of Dark Mode and stylesheets, the attached is an example of this.

I reduced the original to just one paragraph and one table. Then I duplicated this and the stylesheet. In one of the stylesheets, I remove all the "background-color: #fff;". The table that does not have this can be read in dark mode.

The reason this works in inverted mode is that the page is rendered and then inverted. For Dark Mode, there is probably a base stylesheet used by the device that applies the dark mode colours. As this element actually sets the colour for the background, it is used. And as the text colour is not set, it gets set to white by the Dark Mode colours. There will be more than just a stylesheet being used to get Dark Mode. There is some background/driver/screen updating changes to try to get the best result.

And, the above is my guess as how this works. It fits with the behaviour we see, but, it might not be a simple stylesheet, it might be handled in some other way.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Table in Dark Mode - davidfor.epub (9.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-25-2022, 01:46 AM   #13
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
And as the text colour is not set
I agree. In this case, it's the publisher's mistake, not Kobo.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:18 AM   #14
Svens
Enthusiast

Thank you! Like most ordinary readers, I expect everything to be as it should be, no matter what goes in. As they show in Chaplin's "Modern Times" - you insert plastic - a chicken comes out.