Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Challenging Classics Needed

Recently, I've been reading lots of Amazon freebies, which have been predominantly romantic self-published easy reads. I'd like to get back into reading classics, but find that my reading level has dropped due to the aforementioned material.

At the moment I'm reading Twain's A Connecticut Yankee by following along with this:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?ann...id=3vo6nqrtonI
while also reading it on my Kindle.

I'd like something more challenging, while being interesting at the same time, and in the public domain in the UK. Have the audio of the full text would be a great advantage (Librivox etc).
Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
You might want to read something from D. H. Lawrence.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2017, 04:21 AM   #3
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I recommend War & Peace, if you haven't read it yet. Also the Karamazov Brothers.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'd like something more challenging, while being interesting at the same time, and in the public domain in the UK. Have the audio of the full text would be a great advantage (Librivox etc).
Thanks.
Kim by Rudyard Kipling. Available here at MobileRead in a nice illustrated version that I made in Mobi/Kindle and ePub.

There also appears to be a librivox version.

Quote:
The story of Kim, an English orphan boy in India in the late 1800s. Kim becomes involved in an old Lama's search for a sacred river, and in a British spy ring, playing the "Great Game".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Kim by Rudyard Kipling. Available here at MobileRead in a nice illustrated version that I made in Mobi/Kindle and ePub. [...]
I can recommend this book and this edition, which I read again only recently. I enjoyed it immensely - and many thanks pdurrant for a very well produced ebook.

BookCat, the following may not be exactly what you had in mind, but a couple of years ago I read a few of Charles Dickens' non-fictions works and found them fascinating. (I got my copy of these off Project Gutenberg, not sure if there might be cleaner editions here on MR.)

American Notes - A sort of diary of Charles Dickens' tour of America in 1842 - almost twenty years before the civil war. This includes the journey to New York, much time in Boston, and then a journey inland as far as the Mississippi and back again. A short journey to Canada and then home again.

The Uncommercial Traveller - A collection of essays by Charles Dickens written between 1860 and 1869. The articles span a wide range of topics and styles: from investigation of significant events (the wreck of the Royal Charter), to some fairly light reference to the town where he grew up (referred to as Dullborough). From investigation into alm's houses, a children's hospital, a white-lead factory and more, to (less than flattering) comments about a teetotal procession.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I can recommend this book and this edition, which I read again only recently. I enjoyed it immensely - and many thanks pdurrant for a very well produced ebook.

BookCat, the following may not be exactly what you had in mind, but a couple of years ago I read a few of Charles Dickens' non-fictions works and found them fascinating. (I got my copy of these off Project Gutenberg, not sure if there might be cleaner editions here on MR.)

American Notes - A sort of diary of Charles Dickens' tour of America in 1842 - almost twenty years before the civil war. This includes the journey to New York, much time in Boston, and then a journey inland as far as the Mississippi and back again. A short journey to Canada and then home again.

The Uncommercial Traveller - A collection of essays by Charles Dickens written between 1860 and 1869. The articles span a wide range of topics and styles: from investigation of significant events (the wreck of the Royal Charter), to some fairly light reference to the town where he grew up (referred to as Dullborough). From investigation into alm's houses, a children's hospital, a white-lead factory and more, to (less than flattering) comments about a teetotal procession.
American Notes and The Uncommercial Traveller is also available in Delphi Classics edition of Complete Works by Dickens which is rather affordable.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I believe that there are many good classics (including Dickens) here at MR as well. My own favorite is Treasure Island.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
The Strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson

Marvelous LibriVox recording read by Bob Neufeld.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Challenging as in challenging your perceptions, preconceptions and prejudices? Then I'd recommend Jonathan Swift (start with "A Modest Proposal," move on to Gulliver's Travels).

Challenging as in, "Lord, this book is painful to read, and I wish I'd never picked it up!" ? Then you need James Fenimore Cooper.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you've been reading a lot of romantic books then perhaps some of the classic romances (such as those written by Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters)would be good classics to begin with.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
GrannyGrump has a nice version of some of the short storeis by Damon Runyon. (died 1946).

The stories of "Guys and Dolls" of the New York American Prohibition era gangsters. (Done as humor.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #12
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
I'd second Jane Austen, and suggest any of the Sherlock Holmes books ( Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, not the fanfic!) Also The Signalman, by Charles Dickens, and To Build a Fire (either version) by Jack London.

War and Peace? Well, if you have a lot of spare time, but if not you might consider Anna Karenina.

Enjoy!
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:19 AM   #13
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I recommend War & Peace, if you haven't read it yet. Also the Karamazov Brothers.
I would also recommend War and Peace. I've read it three times, wonderful novel.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #14
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37106
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Wome.../dp/B0082Z1CVQ

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Not in public domain, but you can get it cheap.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #15
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thank you so much for these recommendations.
Here are my thoughts about some of them, and a little more clarification.

D H Lawrence is a great recommendation; I've only read a couple of his books and that was a very long time ago. I wasn't sure he was PD.

War and Peace and Kim are rather longer than I'm looking for at the moment. I read lots of Russian shorts at uni. The plot of Kim does appeal, if only Kipling had edited the book a little!

While I love Dickens' novels, I'm not looking for non fiction. His novels are fairly easy to read imho. Thanks anyway.

Treasure Island is one of those books I've always intended to read, but never got round to. I might try it. As it was written for children, I don't imagine that it's very challenging.

I read Jekyll and Hyde one summer about 20 years ago when I had fun reading lots of classic horrors (including Dracula) in a sunny garden, just for perverse contrast! It might be worth revisiting.

A Modest Proposal is an essay I've had to study twice: for A level and at Uni, all that metaphorical baby eating! I've also read Gulliver several times. I might have a look at his other books.

I've never read a James Fenimore Cooper, but I've been under the impression he wrote westerns (an upmarket Zane Grey). Is he really that painful?

For some reason, I just don't get on with Austen; I've tried several of her books: Emma, Pride and Prejudice .. but find her writing a bit like wading through glue. Imho she needed an editor!

I've read a few Bronte novels: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall; Jane Eyre; and what I later discovered was an abridged version of Wuthering Heights. I do like the Brontes, so might try some of their other works, including the full version of WH.

Thanks for the Jack London recommendation, I haven't read anything by him. I'll take a look at The Signalman too.

I have the pbook of Gone With the Wind but have always been put off by the length. I would love to immerse myself in the story sometime. I've read Little Women.

Thank you.
By 'challenging' I mean in writing style and reading difficulty. The use of complex English grammar and a wide vocabulary. Many self-published, especially romantic, novelists, write poor ungrammatical English and use a very narrow vocabulary - often incorrectly.
I want to avoid authors like Thomas Hardy, who had a gloomy outlook, and find well-written, but positive books (and I love happy endings).
I'm going to cease downloading freebies from Amazon and stick to classics for a while. More recommendations for well-written classics would be very welcome.
I hope I haven't offended anyone with my reactions to the recommendations.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio books, challenging classics, recommendations