Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
With human nature.
Humans are very difficult to interface with and to presume they will follow any specific course of action is prone to failure.
Yeah, like the multiple times I had to ask people following the "simple debricking method" WHY they chose to ERASE ENTIRE MMC in fastboot, when the instructions just said to flash mmcblk0p2_ssh.img...

After all, a link or button that has "DO NOT PRESS!" on its label is sure to collect its fair share of presses anyway, so why shouldn't a "DO NOT ERASE YOUR MMC" attract similar attention?

And back in the day, our (university sponsored) computer hacking club had a sign on the wall that said "No system can be completely foolproof -- fools are so darned ingenious!".

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-03-2012 at 09:07 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Yeah, like the multiple times I had two ask people following the "simple debricking method" WHY they chose to ERASE ENTIRE MMC in fastboot, when the instructions just said to flash mmcblk0p2_ssh.img...

After all, a link or button that has "DO NOT PRESS!" on its label is sure to collect its fair share of presses anyway, so why shouldn't a "DO NOT ERASE YOUR MMC" attract similar attention?

And back in the day, our (university sponsored) computer hacking club had a sign on the wall that said "No system can be completely foolproof -- fools are so darned ingenious!".
If Hawhill ever tested that "erase mmc" selection in the ATK, he isn't admitting it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #33
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If Hawhill ever tested that "erase mmc" selection in the ATK, he isn't admitting it.
At least with ATK it is easier to flash the MMC after erasing it, than it is to flash it with fastboot after erasing the mmc (which contains uboot bist and fastboot support).

How do you flash with fastboot when the kindle no longer contains fastboot protocol in its mmc? It used to be "serial port" time then, but now we have better ways.

Time to get MfgTool profiles up to where Advanced Tookit is heading.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
How do you flash with fastboot when the kindle no longer contains fastboot protocol in its mmc? It used to be "serial port" time then, but now we have better ways.
I noticed the ATK picture showed a "serial port" option.
Maybe Hawhill tried that one and just never mentioned it.

A little bit off the K5 BotNet Web Installer topic, but that subject seems to be exhausted anyway.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #35
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Can you add some fonts for fonthack? Atleast some essentials like Ubuntu?
I've looked at the fonthack, but I can't add that package to site. It unfortunately requires additional steps to be made, so newbies would become confused, if it didn't work after installation. Fonts are no problem, but I think fonts alone only add another confusion (somebody could think this is all required for the font change. But if you really want it there, send me a PM and I'll add them.

OT: I tried to update the wiki page about KT hacking, but: "The database has been automatically locked while the slave database servers catch up to the master". Is this normal?
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #36
knc1
Going Viral

Only during maintaince activities. Try again in a few hours (its a big database here).
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #37
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
I've looked at the fonthack, but I can't add that package to site. It unfortunately requires additional steps to be made, so newbies would become confused, if it didn't work after installation. Fonts are no problem, but I think fonts alone only add another confusion (somebody could think this is all required for the font change. But if you really want it there, send me a PM and I'll add them.
OT: I tried to update the wiki page about KT hacking, but: "The database has been automatically locked while the slave database servers catch up to the master". Is this normal?
Hmm... That's strange
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #38
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
To what was discussed above: Nah, I didn't try out neither Erase (because I had no use for it yet) nor a serial connection on my K3. In fact, I never even opened it.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #39
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
To what was discussed above: Nah, I didn't try out neither Erase (because I had no use for it yet) nor a serial connection on my K3. In fact, I never even opened it.
Opening a K3 is for people too lazy to make a serial port plug to fit into the left bottom slot.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #40
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Before this attempt my Kindle with fw 5.1.0 was already jailbroken. I tried to use this page to uninstall the jailbreak, and it seem to work. however when I tried to install usbnetwork after this uninstallation it also worked! it seems that uninstallation of jailbreak doesn't work correctly.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #41
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Before this attempt my Kindle with fw 5.1.0 was already jailbroken. I tried to use this page to uninstall the jailbreak, and it seem to work. however when I tried to install usbnetwork after this uninstallation it also worked! it seems that uninstallation of jailbreak doesn't work correctly.
I tried it now, the unjailbreak package doesn't work. I've took it from https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind..._the_jailbreak. I will change the method used to unjailbreak.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:59 AM   #42
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mmatej: Try this. [See #44]

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-08-2012 at 05:02 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #43
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
I will change the method used to unjailbreak.
Uninstallation of other packages are missing also.

Just a thought: You can use seperate pages(tabs) for installs and uninstalls .
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #44
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Uninstallation of other packages are missing also.

Just a thought: You can use seperate pages(tabs) for installs and uninstalls .
This is a good idea! I'll add it when I am back at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@mmatej: Try this.
Thanks, but I've already repaired it using another method.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #45
geekmaster

Quote:
Thanks, but I've already repaired it using another method.
What method? Please post a link, to help others reading this thread. I find it incredibly frustrating when google takes me to a site that describes EXACTLY my problem, and the thread ends with "I fixed it" with no information that helps me fix the same problem.

Let's not do that to somebody who finds your "I fixed it" post. Thanks...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 06:40 AM.