Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-07-2023, 04:03 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Annotated Pepys' Diary Recommendations Please

Does anyone have opinions about the various editions of The Diary of Samuel Pepys (complete) in e-format? There is one in the mobileread library, but it's from 2008 and in lrf.

An annotated version might be useful, so if anyone has opinions regarding different versions, I'd be very grateful.

I want to put it on my Libra 2, so an epub copy, or one without DRM is essential. I don't mind paying a few pounds for an annotated version.

Thanks in advance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:43 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Try this one:

https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/sa...epys/the-diary

FREE

-----

Check out this site: I find it very interesting for deciding what version one would wish to read:

https://www.pepysdiary.com/news/2018/12/15/14040/

--------

Collectible Edition: If you have $650 that needs to be spent, then you might try what is considered the most complete edition, the 11-volume set from Robert Latham and William Matthews:

https://www.alcuinbooks.com/pages/bo...am-matthews-11

------------

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE: If you don't need the collectible edition, then Amazon has the 11-volume edition[listed above] in paper:

https://www.amazon.com/Diary-Samuel-...2-63e904010ad0

CALIBRE IS YOUR FRIENDLY BUDDY FOR EBOOK CONVERSION.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-11-2023 at 09:17 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:21 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Dr. Drib, thank you for the suggestions. I bought the Delphi Classics Edition. The advantage of this is that it has lots of material about the diary, the disadvantages are that it is edited (with rude words cut out, even the mention of his wife's periods, "after the absence of her terms for seven weeks").

The other main disadvantage is the way the annotations are laid out. I haven't put this on my Kobo yet, but in Calibre the annotations appear as small font within the text, rather than as numbers leading to footnotes.

The most useful version I've found so far is a website. The diary begins here: https://www.pepysdiary.com/diary/1660/01/

I downloaded (to Calibre) and took a look at the version from standardebooks. I prefer the way the annotations are laid out in this, with numbers leading to footnotes, but, like the Delphi version, it is edited for "rude" words. This one also suffers from a lack of index. When it's on my Kobo, this might appear in the "burger" icon.

I suppose what I would really like, in an ideal world, is an ebook version of the Latham and Matthew edition with all the rudeness which Pepys intended. No way am I spending so much on physical books (which I now consider a liability because of the space they occupy.)

I'll probably combine the Delphi Classic with the standardebooks and online versions.

Thanks for responding.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotated, libra 2, pepys, recommendations