Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #16
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Apparently Calibre 2.2.0 broke: from calibre.gui2.dialogs.message_box_ui import Ui_Dialog .

Going from Qt4 to Qt5 there was plenty of warning. If truly Calibre 2.2.0 intended to remove message_box_ui, then it is a lick on Calibre to do so with no prior notice.

Any plugin that uses from calibre.gui2.dialogs.message_box_ui import Ui_Dialog will fail.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From what I can see, the following plugins ARE affected:

Annotations
Author Book Count
Author Book Count Hierarchy
Derive Genres
Marvin XD
Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #18
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

Annotations
Author Book Count
Author Book Count Hierarchy
Derive Genres
Marvin XD
Yes. ABC, ABCH, and Derive Genres are all mine. I have commented out the import in question, and am retesting. They seem to work without it. Apparently what they did was taken over by another module already being imported. I will be uploading new releases in the next hour. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
Yes. ABC, ABCH, and Derive Genres are all mine. I have commented out the import in question, and am retesting. They seem to work without it. Apparently what they did was taken over by another module already being imported. I will be uploading new releases in the next hour. Thanks.
Just remember.. that import is probably STILL needed in the calibre 1.x and 2.0 / 2.1 versions... Might need a try / except block around the import
Old 09-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #20
DaltonST
Deviser

Nope. The minimum version of Calibre is now 2.2.0.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That will be HIGHLY unpopular with those in the community who are stuck on calibre 1.48. You might want to rethink that decision.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Apparently Calibre 2.2.0 broke: from calibre.gui2.dialogs.message_box_ui import Ui_Dialog .

Going from Qt4 to Qt5 there was plenty of warning. If truly Calibre 2.2.0 intended to remove message_box_ui, then it is a lick on Calibre to do so with no prior notice.

Any plugin that uses from calibre.gui2.dialogs.message_box_ui import Ui_Dialog will fail.
And that is actually the plugins fault. You should not be using this directly. It is code generated from message_box.ui during build. Or, if you are running from source, it will be generated during startup.

You should change your code to use:

calibre.gui2.dialogs.message_box import MessageBox

Or write your own message box if it isn't suitable. But, look through the definitions in calibre.gui2.__init__. There are a lot of different message boxes in it you could use.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

Annotations
Annotations uses its own copy of the file. It should have been renamed as it isn't has a more specific function than a generic message box.
Quote:
Marvin XD
I thought it had a copy as well, but it is using MessageBox properly. It shouldn't have a problem.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #24
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Annotations uses its own copy of the file. It should have been renamed as it isn't has a more specific function than a generic message box.

I thought it had a copy as well, but it is using MessageBox properly. It shouldn't have a problem.
I had just done a search through all the plugins looking for strings so I might well be mistaken. Sorry davidfor.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry, didn't read down far or thoroughly enough.

Quote:
As stated above, you shouldn't have been referring to this directly. But, looking at your updated code, I don't know why you had it at all. The line after the update is an import of message_box. Which you don't use. In fact, looking at the imports in ui.py, you don't use about half of them. And the same for the other Python files. If you have plans to add function that needs them, OK, but at the moment they are just cluttering the code.

Quote:
There isn't anything the code that I can see that requires a recent version of calibre. It should be safe to put it back to the previous minimum you had.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-05-2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #26
DaltonST
Deviser

Well, on the planet where I live, folks on Calibre 1.48 can continue to use my plugins with no constraints if they are already using them. Those who choose to upgrade higher than Calibre 2.1 will get the revision that allows them to use 2.2.0. Those who do not cannot install the latest versions anyway, because the minimum version is Calibre 2.2.0, and will only allow them to install it if they are on at least Calibre 2.2.0. So, in short, there is nothing to rethink. The latest revisions make Calibre 2.2.0 possible. Those on Calibre 1.48 or 2.1 will never need them. Case closed.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #27
DaltonST
Deviser

Please post in the appropriate thread. This is the Derive Genres thread.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

And how about a new user of Calibre on XP or MAC who wants to install one of your plugins?

How exactly are THEY meant to accomplish this feat when you, in your exalted state, have decided to only support 2.2 and above?

Also, davidfor is discussing YOUR plugin here. All we have been trying to do is to help YOU out. So sorry to have interfered in your private little world.

Bye from ME.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, on the planet where I live, folks on Calibre 1.48 can continue to use my plugins with no constraints if they are already using them. Those who choose to upgrade higher than Calibre 2.1 will get the revision that allows them to use 2.2.0. Those who do not cannot install the latest versions anyway, because the minimum version is Calibre 2.2.0, and will only allow them to install it if they are on at least Calibre 2.2.0. So, in short, there is nothing to rethink. The latest revisions make Calibre 2.2.0 possible. Those on Calibre 1.48 or 2.1 will never need them. Case closed.
As the plugin is yours, what you do with it is up to you. But, as I said, there is nothing that I can see in your code that will prevent it fro running in calibre 1.48. And to check, I reduced the minimum version and installed it in 1.48. When I ran it, I had no errors.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #30
DaltonST
Deviser

The user of Derive Genres who reported the Calibre 2.2.0 issue to me in the first place discovered it while using a Mac.

As for free XP replacements without buying a new pc:

As for keeping XP but running Calibre 2.2.0 within an Ubuntu virtual machine inside of XP: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox

And for those who have or can get a new or used ChromeBook very cheaply, you can install a full fledged Linux on the Chromebook hardware using https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton

Craigslist has old PCs for $50 that can be reformatted to run Ubuntu and used as a Calibre 2.2+ device. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sys?maxAsk=50

There are almost always options, although granted that they require some effort.

So, I am sanguine about where Derive Genres and my other 2 plugins are positioned viz a viz Calibre 1.48.
Closed Thread

Tags
.csv, custom column, genre