Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #76
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmomma View Post
If you download the Borders app, you can choose a free ebook from their list of 5.
Did you have any luck with this? I've tried buying these "free" books through both the iPad app and the desktop app. Both fail. And, I've tried multiple credit cards to pay for the "free" books. I've sent them support questions but I've not had any reply.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #77
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennstall View Post
They just send out an email today offering five brand new ebooks for free if you download the app. But when I checked the book on my iPod Borders App, they weren't free. On the Borders website they are free however and I didn't need to download their software at all. I just downloaded the books to the Sony Reader Library.

The titles are:
Julia's Kitchen Wisdom (Julia Child)
Dean Koontz's Frankenstein
The Alchemyst (Michael Scott)
One Shot (Lee Child)
Jillian Michaels' Master Your Metabolism
Really? I tried looking the first title and it shows a price of $14.95.

Something isn't quite right with there site.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #78
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm avoiding Borders e-purchases till they work out major bugs. It's as if we're beta testing for them right now. I have an older account and they have trouble even bringing up accurate buying history and seem to have charged me for a freebie. No biggie; it's just 10 bucks. I don't wanna deal with more buying hassles, though. There are plenty of other (functioning) sites to buy from.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #79
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I'm avoiding Borders e-purchases till they work out major bugs. It's as if we're beta testing for them right now. I have an older account and they have trouble even bringing up accurate buying history and seem to have charged me for a freebie. No biggie; it's just 10 bucks. I don't wanna deal with more buying hassles, though. There are plenty of other (functioning) sites to buy from.
It's truly unfortunate that this is par for the course with software releases these days.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #80
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Today I tried to buy 3 books from their store and I was frustrated. All 3 books where in my Wish list and there was no way to add all three to Cart. I also found several books that had only Buy Now buttons and no Cart button outside of the Wish List. They actually wanted me to purchase each book separately and that was to much hassle to save $1.50 so I purchased them elsewhere.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 AM   #81
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Anyone know what happened to the older Sony-Borders e-Book Store?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17826

I was poking around the Borders eBook store, and it looked nice enough, haven't sorted out yet in my mind whether it's a rebranded kobobooks.com as some have said, or not. Lots of similarities.

Kind of looks like an Adobe/ePub sort of thing, similar to B&N, so I guess that's goodness, in the sense that there's at least not a new DRM format, and therefore not extending the current problem all that much. But I am kind of surprised that there seems to be a bit of a convergence on Apple, seems to be the iPad is the one device everyone is supporting.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #82
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It's truly unfortunate that this is par for the course with software releases these days.
Very true, I think probably all major corporations are now using us as ginea pigs when it comes to testing software. It's cheaper to test the software out on us & fix any bugs that come up after the fact rather then have to pay employees salaries/benefits to test & fix buggy software so that they can release it the right way the first time around.

This is precisely why I am NOT an early adopter of new technology or software.

I'm not paying big bucks for a halfassed working product then spend months waiting for them to put out a patch for it.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #83
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Has to be the worst ebook store site I've seen so far. Half the books don't even note the author so they don't show up when searching by author name.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #84
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Very true, I think probably all major corporations are now using us as ginea pigs when it comes to testing software. It's cheaper to test the software out on us & fix any bugs that come up after the fact rather then have to pay employees salaries/benefits to test & fix buggy software so that they can release it the right way the first time around.

I'm not paying big bucks for a halfassed working product then spend months waiting for them to put out a patch for it.
That's exactly what happened with last years Painter release from Corel. It contained a number of clearly obvious bugs that any half-assed QA test should have found, yet it was released and was virtually un-useable. It took several months to get a patch that fixed the major issues.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #85
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Has to be the worst ebook store site I've seen so far. Half the books don't even note the author so they don't show up when searching by author name.

Yeah, like this one....it's only been #1 for a few weeks this year:

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...sku=1440697663
Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #86
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post

I'm pretty tolerant about giving businesses time to work out problems, but I think this Borders debut is ridiculously bad, even in the age of limited testing.

There's a point when trying to save money or rush out a product or service is self-defeating; you can cost yourself sales longer term. Seems to me that Borders has done that. Some businesses can get away with more bugs, because of unique products, lead time, etc. Borders doesn't have such a luxury. It's not only late to market with identical products that others are selling for similar prices, its software is a mess.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #87
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yeah, like this one....it's only been #1 for a few weeks this year:

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...sku=1440697663
Ouch. I didn't know things were that bad with their e-book store.
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #88
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
kennyc, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that it's a Penguin book, and they seem to be openly hostile to ebooks. If this information is provided by the publisher, and the publisher doesn't bother to list the author, whose fault is it?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #89
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
kennyc, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that it's a Penguin book, and they seem to be openly hostile to ebooks. If this information is provided by the publisher, and the publisher doesn't bother to list the author, whose fault is it?
Not blaming anyone particularly, just saying it's a bad experience and less useful to the buyer.

Here's the Amazon listing: http://www.amazon.com/The-Help-ebook...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Some difference, eh?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #90
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I don't know that Penguin is hostile towards ebooks. They put out a lot more of them, including backlist stuff, than some of the other publishers. They do have a very SET idea on what ebooks should sell for, but that doesn't necessarily make them hostile. If I was going to pick one big pub that give off the hostile vibe it's usually MacMillan.

Since Borders 'store' is powered by Kobo (IIRC) and Kobo lists these books with the author info I'd guess its a snafu on the Borders side, but who knows.

Regardless of who's 'at fault' it makes for a crappy shopping experience.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote