Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Mai
Mai began at the beginning.

Device: PSR-600
Problem with downloading from kobobooks

Hi,
I'm new here and I just got into the wonderful world of ebooks, I'm getting all sorts of books: public domain, self made ebooks and I mangaed to buy few.

so far I bought books for ebooks with no problem, downloading was easy, so I next I tried kobobooks; my card was accepted and I now have access to the books I purchased but I can't download the epub file, I always end up with :
"This webpage is not available". Contacted the costumer serves but they just gave me basic tips on how to download. I even tried the free books.. nope, I can't get any epub file out of this site ..grrrrr

it's driving me crazy ! and I googled and googled but it seems that I only have this problem
Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Omega
Mostly lurking...
Omega began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Probably a dumb question, but: do you have Adobe Digital Editions installed? I have both ADE and the Sony software installed and have no problem downloading purchased books from Kobo.

My partner has a Nook and he was unable to download books from Kobo until he installed ADE.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
also probably a dumb question
but when you click on download it should give you a acsm file --- you want to open that with Adobe Digital Editions ... not save it or anything else.

So after saying that, I could swear I saw somebody post a similar problem somewhere a week or so ago but now I can't find it.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Mai

thank you for the reply, well...I have ADE, and I have no problem with acsm files. The tragedy is I can't get to the files, the download doesn't even start so I can worry about the files.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
which browser are you using? Try explorer.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Mai

tried that and firefox, same problem
thx
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
How do you download the epub file? If the ebooks are DRM-protected (which is quite probable) only ADE can download them, not your browser. To download them you have to open the .acsm file with ADE.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm really not a techie person but is it possible you have a firewall issue that is preventing the acsm file from opening? Have you downloaded ADE ePub from anywhere else?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Have you downloaded ADE ePub from anywhere else?
yes I thought it was the fire wall, so I turned it off and nothing happened. Yes I DLed epub from ebooks.com and it worked, I just can't get acsm file off kobo
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Please be very specific. So you go to the Kobo site, log in, and it shows you a list of books that you've bought? (If not, click on the word "library" near the top right.) Next to each one you see a button that says "DOWNLOAD EPUB", yes? What EXACTLY happens when you click on that button?
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Mai

after I click I get this:
Old 04-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

That looks like your computer or your network is blocking access to the server. What happens when you just enter http://acs4.shortcovers.com:8080/ in the address bar?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
Mai

the same thing
Old 04-11-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
pietvo
Reader

There must be something that blocks it. It could be a firewall or filter in your computer or router. To test you should switch off every know blocker temporarily. Or maybe it is some filtering by your provider, like a parental filter. You are not in China, are you?
There is a tiny possibility that Kobo is blocking your IP address, but I would think this is quite improbable.
If you are working on a laptop you could try it somewhere else, for example at a friend or in a McDonalds.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
casimir
casimir began at the beginning.

Device: CYBOOK gen3
Hi, I have exactly the same problem as Mai : impossible to download kobobooks from my computer. Before they made a commercial venture with KOBO, I have bought many ebooks from FNAC without any downloading problems (using ADE). I bought ebooks in January, connected the kobobooks library, and when I clicked on "DOWnLOAD ADOBE DRM", I get to a page telling me the acsm4 server is unavailable.
I tried google chrome, firefox and internet explorer, desactivated my firewalls : same problem!
Note that I can download from the kobobooks site all ebooks without DRM
Did you find out what the problem is ? I have little faith in the KOBO / FNAC hotline : I spent 2 hours with them, and they told me that my problem is rare, so they would find out when they have time. No delay, no refund.
casimir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo books, problem