Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #31
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Why should I get this? I already have an Apple TV and the chromecast.
hey, why not? Another life-sucking device plugged to the TV, right next to the PS4, 3, Xbox, Wii, chromecast, apple tv, cheetos bowl, soda machine...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Not. Impressed.
The Roku stick at half the cost is a better fit if all you want is internet streaming.
For those interested in streaming and gaming, Xbox360 at $149-179 is a better fit than FireTV and controller at $140.

Either the price comes down or they add features, fast. At a minimum it needs DLNA support.

Edit: plenty of TVs and Bluray players beat the FireTV at streaming, for less:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...MRS1F2S3N81W2Z

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-02-2014 at 03:06 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #33
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
DLNA is a hog. much too slow, sadly. Some movies stream stuttering over it

never worked quite right...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #34
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Looks like a copy of Apple TV to me, down to the controller even. Then the Fire Controller looks like an XBox controller. I own a 'smart' TV so I can already get the apps on it.

I don't even use my Instant Videos from Amazon. I don't want to watch old movies and there's plenty of services for the TV shows.

This was nothing interesting to me. Wonder whose phone their phone will look like?

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 04-02-2014 at 03:53 PM.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #35
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
So it's a beefed up Roku? That's not really a bad thing, since the Roku is very nice. From what I'm seeing, if I didn't already have a Roku I would definitely give this strong consideration. Light gaming even, which normally I'm not into but if it can play Telltale games like Walking Dead (an amazing interactive comic, moreso than a game), that's pretty neat.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #36
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
They *MIGHT* have infringed Apple patents with that remote.

Interesting to note that a replacement costs $8.99 more than an Apple remote.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
DLNA is a hog. much too slow, sadly. Some movies stream stuttering over it

never worked quite right...
YMMV.
Mine does.
(The server software matters.)

Using my TV client, only Mpeg4 is reliably smooth, even over a wired connection--using the XBox, all the supported formats work over wifi. But with the WD TV Live, *everything* streams beautifully over wifi. I'm converting my DVDs to iso format because of it (mpeg2 SD upscales nicely that way).

Anyway, DLNA works beautifully for audio regardless of format and I'm not about to upload my 600 CDs to Amazon's cloud and pay rent when my NAS server has all the space I need for free.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #38
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
They *MIGHT* have infringed Apple patents with that remote.
And Microsoft's with the controller and background music while gaming.

But they may have crosslicensing agreements in place. Amazon does have a robust patent portfolio to deal with.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #39
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
That will only be relevant for people who have Comcast for their ISP. Why would it "disrupt the market"? There are many other ISPs that are much better than Comcast...

Shari
because Comcast is one of the widest and fastest ISP in USA.

I hate Comcast service. In fact, I dropped Cable TV, I only have Internet with them. But it's one of the biggest ISP in USA.

I say this will disrupt the market because recent law about Internet throttling will allow ISPs to slow down or speed up streaming services at will. If this union becomes a reality, it will impact lot of users in United States that do streaming, including myself. My Roku will probably run slower.

Last edited by jocampo; 04-02-2014 at 06:31 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #40
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
That will only be relevant for people who have Comcast for their ISP. Why would it "disrupt the market"? There are many other ISPs that are much better than Comcast...
Not in my area, and I live in a city with a major development site for one of the big 3 tech companies and where many of the residents are in technology jobs.

It's Comcast or MUCH SLOWER AT&T DSL.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #41
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I have Time Warner Cable TV and so-called high speed internet, which is now owned by Comcast. Even with my TWC 20 Mbits internet I have trouble streaming HD video. The reason is that TWC has such a crappy infrastructure and outdated equipment. Just normal web surfing can slow down to a snail's pace. My AppleTV sits unused most of the time because Netflix and HuluPlus would be a waste of money with my crappy internet connection. The only time I use my AppleTV is to push my iPad or iPhone or Mac content onto my HDTV. I cannot imagine Comcast being an improvement.
Jack,

I returned Comcast rent modem and bought a ARRIS / Motorola SB6121 . I called "Comcuack" and activated it. I pay for 50mpbs service but average 70mbps download. This is because the ARRIS maximizes the speed. It also uses Docsis 3.0 , which if enabled at your area, it will allow even faster speeds.

You will need a Router/firewall though, as the ARRIS is only a modem.

Last edited by jocampo; 04-02-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #42
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Not in my area, and I live in a city with a major development site for one of the big 3 tech companies and where many of the residents are in technology jobs.

It's Comcast or MUCH SLOWER AT&T DSL.
That is correct. In most areas, the alternative is AT&T DSL, which like you said, is slower.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #43
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They're missing one of my favorite Roku features, which is the ability to plug a set of headphones into the remote. I notice that they have support for the Bluetooth HFP 1.6 profile, which doesn't make a lot of sense as A2DP would be better for wireless headphones to be used. I suspect the HFP is for the voice control. Maybe they'll add A2DP later? If so, that could be better than the Roku implementation.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #44
twowheels
Wizard

I also notice that they beat the Roku in that they support DD Plus surround sound. With the Roku I get DD+ at my stereo, but no 5.1.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #45
jocampo
Layback feline

Here is a nice chart comparing those, including Roku.

I do not believe this has been posted on this thread before.