Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #181
kevinrs
Enthusiast
kevinrs began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
I have mixed feelings about shelves. On one hand, it's nice to finally have some organization on the Nook.

On the other, what were they thinking? That their customers have nothing better to do than type (hunt and peck) in a bunch of shelf names and move books to different shelves one by one, all on the device itself? And repeat the process every time they load periodicals (newspapers, magazines, feeds via Calibre) onto the device? Life is too short for this kind of time consuming process.

If only they would allow access to shelves via USB so we could manage this in Calibre using actual keyboards . . .
Even if you were going to go to that effort, you can't even shelf a book from within the book, or from a search, you have to manually find it on the pages sorted by author or title etc, and do it from there. If you've already got a large number of books, it's useless. Makes the ~1.3 GB of memory seem pointless to me as well, GB of books with no way to sort without hours upon hours of work on a touchscreen...
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #182
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
Even if you were going to go to that effort, you can't even shelf a book from within the book, or from a search, you have to manually find it on the pages sorted by author or title etc, and do it from there. If you've already got a large number of books, it's useless. Makes the ~1.3 GB of memory seem pointless to me as well, GB of books with no way to sort without hours upon hours of work on a touchscreen...
On a TINY, SLOW touchscreen at that.

It really makes you wonder whether the developers actually use the Nook for their own reading.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #183
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Wait until you go through all that work and find that your SD card has lost all the shelves after a reboot.

The concept of folders must be too hard for B&N to understand..... but wait, folders work on my Jetbook!!!! Must be some sort of crafty Russian conspiracy.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #184
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Wait until you go through all that work and find that your SD card has lost all the shelves after a reboot.

The concept of folders must be too hard for B&N to understand..... but wait, folders work on my Jetbook!!!! Must be some sort of crafty Russian conspiracy.
I've rebooted a few times, and haven't lost the shelves. Is your Nook registered? I've read that unregistered Nooks lose shelves upon reboot.

Shelves are really just tags. Which, unlike, for example, Windows folders, means you can assign multiple shelves/tags to each book. So that part's fine. But as noted above, you should be able to change tags within a book's menu, as opposed to having to go to the specific shelf menu. And obviously, you should have the ability to manage shelves on a computer with an actual keyboard.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #185
tagtag
tagtag began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi (B&W)
Once Calibre is able to edit the tags all will be well in the world.
tagtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #186
GoodNovember
reenignE
GoodNovember began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (eInk)
Hello, I am really new to all this Rooting stuff... I have some questions and I thought here would bee good to ask.

BACKGROUND:

I bought a new nook last month and its serial is 1005xx, I have read only one other person has been successful in gaining root access with that serial number {they seem to have disappeared}.

The 1500xx is unique as it comes preloaded with 1.5, thus, as was written here, none of the DNS changing methods seem to work. and downgrading to the 1.4 era does not seem to be an option.

QUESTIONS:

1.) Is there any way to downgrade to the 1.4 series without using the Nook's internal backup?

2.) Have there been any advances to gaining root directly from 1.5?

3.) Is there anything you might suggest doing or where i might be able to turn?

I have researched all the methods for the rooting the newer hardware to no avail.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
GoodNovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #187
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagtag View Post
Once Calibre is able to edit the tags all will be well in the world.
No can do. The shelves/tags are not accessible via USB connection.

We are stuck with managing tags on the device itself unless they change this in new firmware. Or unless you root of course.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #188
ryanpl
ryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it is

Device: Nook Classic
having hard time rooting

Sadly I have a Nook with ser # 10047.... and have been unable to root it using any of the offered methods. I live in Brooklyn, NY and was wondering if there is anyone out here from NY who could help me. Thank, Ryan
ryanpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #189
ryanpl
ryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it isryanpl knows what time it is

Device: Nook Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpl View Post
Sadly I have a Nook with ser # 10047.... and have been unable to root it using any of the offered methods. I live in Brooklyn, NY and was wondering if there is anyone out here from NY who could help me. Thank, Ryan
still looking for help? Anyone, anyone?
ryanpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #190
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpl View Post
still looking for help? Anyone, anyone?
try posting up in the nook's dev section, you'll likely to get answer more quickly up there.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote