Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Two Irritations w/the Kindle 2

I really miss the article listings with a short synopsis in subscription content. It's nice to be able to go to the next article, but I really liked just getting the jist of many articles as I went. This is at least the case with the NY Times.

Secondly, and more importantly, the "clip this article" function appears to be next to useless. It does grab the entire article and puts it in the clipping file but it does so as one enormous block of text. No paragraphs, no bold or italics, etc. And more to it, there is no table of contents or way to navigate the clipping file so the only way to go from article to article is next page for a while. One would be better off highlighting the title, really.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I really miss the article listings with a short synopsis in subscription content. It's nice to be able to go to the next article, but I really liked just getting the jist of many articles as I went. This is at least the case with the NY Times.
Me too, but I found it did still exist, at least with the San Jose Mercury News. I don't have my Kindle with me right now, but I believe I went to the section list and then moved the cursor to the little number of articles listed for a particular section and pressed the 5-way and it brought up the article listing with short summary.

It's gonna take some re-learning to learn some of the new shortcuts. I also missed how you could get the full titles of books just by moving the slider to the right line (it would scroll out) on the K1. For the K2 if you move the 5-way to the right on the book listing you get a detail page, but it's not quite as convenient.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Why are you missing it? it's still there!

I subscribe to 2 blogs, and whenever I open either of them, all I have to do is press the 5-way and I get the article listing.

If you look at the bottom of the screen what you open your blog, do you see that "Your Article List" is highlighted? All you have to do is click...
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
Why are you missing it? it's still there!

I subscribe to 2 blogs, and whenever I open either of them, all I have to do is press the 5-way and I get the article listing.

If you look at the bottom of the screen what you open your blog, do you see that "Your Article List" is highlighted? All you have to do is click...
Alas, many newspapers aren't that simple. Where you have a simple article list for your blog, some of the newspapers have a "sections" list which is not the article list which is accessible as you say but doesn't list individual article titles or summaries. If you trial one of these types of newspapers you'll see what Gideon was talking about.

Getting to the actual article list is slightly more complicated and non-obvious. I do have my Kindle again now and I can confirm that after you open the section list, there are little numbers after each section title (number of articles) that you can navigate to and 'select' to get to the actual article list (and once there it navigates similarly to the K1 although the formatting is slightly different, and will continue across sections -- you don't need to go back to the section list and choose another).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Alas, many newspapers aren't that simple. Where you have a simple article list for your blog, some of the newspapers have a "sections" list which is not the article list which is accessible as you say but doesn't list individual article titles or summaries. If you trial one of these types of newspapers you'll see what Gideon was talking about.

Getting to the actual article list is slightly more complicated and non-obvious. I do have my Kindle again now and I can confirm that after you open the section list, there are little numbers after each section title (number of articles) that you can navigate to and 'select' to get to the actual article list (and once there it navigates similarly to the K1 although the formatting is slightly different, and will continue across sections -- you don't need to go back to the section list and choose another).
Ah. I was not aware that newspapers were different. Thanks for enlightening me!
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Ah, that's of great help! That's even nicer than it was.

It really is taking some getting used to for some of this.

Still, I wish the clippings wasn't such a mess.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote