Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
JenPen1
Connoisseur
JenPen1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505 (given away), Sony 650 Touch, LG Nexus 4, Kobo Arc
Post Hello from Canada

I have been reading the posts for quite a while now, and decided it was time to join up. I have a Sony PRS505, that I have had for just a few months, but find that I am using it every day, and couldn't live without it now. Just want to say that reading threads by Kovid Goyal on Mobileread ( and lots of other people too ) have been so helpful and is actually the main reason that I bought the Sony.
JenPen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenPen1 View Post
I have been reading the posts for quite a while now, and decided it was time to join up. I have a Sony PRS505, that I have had for just a few months, but find that I am using it every day, and couldn't live without it now. Just want to say that reading threads by Kovid Goyal on Mobileread ( and lots of other people too ) have been so helpful and is actually the main reason that I bought the Sony.
Welcome to MobileRead, JenPen1.........Glad you came out of the woodwork, and don't forget to participate in our poll.

That being said, glad you are finding usefull info here, and I'm sure you've downloaded some of our books, right?

enjoy!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
JenPen1
Connoisseur

Thanks desertgrandma . . . I have voted already and am glad to see that I have made the right decision in buying the Sony PRS505, so far! I haven't downloaded anything yet,as I am still checking out parts that I didn't see before I joined up!!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi JenPen1 and welcome to the Forum. Bad news: If you think the Sony eBook reader is addictive wait till you hang around this Forum a bit.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
JenPen1
Connoisseur

Question PRS505 on airplanes

I'm not sure if I have the right thread. I am new to forums I am planning on flying in a couple of months and am wondering if there is going to be a problem with a) going through security and b) the x-ray machine.
I'm sure some of you veteran e-book readers have flown with one. If I'm in the wrong thread, could one of you direct me in the right direction??
Old 02-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If I'm in the wrong thread, could one of you direct me in the right direction??
There is a whole thread on this topic somewhere. But the bottom line is, it won't be a problem. Treat your reader as you would a lap top through security. Don't use it during the "electronic device usage restriction periods during takeoff and approach/landing" and you'll be fine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I have the right thread. I am new to forums I am planning on flying in a couple of months and am wondering if there is going to be a problem with a) going through security and b) the x-ray machine.
I'm sure some of you veteran e-book readers have flown with one. If I'm in the wrong thread, could one of you direct me in the right direction??
Actually, Jenpen, there have been reports over on the Amazon forum about the some Kindles being 'wiped' after going thru the xray machine......
Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
JenPen1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There is a whole thread on this topic somewhere. But the bottom line is, it won't be a problem. Treat your reader as you would a lap top through security. Don't use it during the "electronic device usage restriction periods during takeoff and approach/landing" and you'll be fine.

BOb
Thanks Bob for the quick response. I figured that would be the case, but wanted to make sure first, what with security being what it is today.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Actually, Jenpen, there have been reports over on the Amazon forum about the some Kindles being 'wiped' after going thru the xray machine......
Really? I don't see how that could happen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Really? I don't see how that could happen.

BOb

Me neither, and since the discussion forums for the Kindle1 are no longer there.....you can read the kindle2 dicussion forums here,
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons...sin=B00154JDAI

I have no way to back up my statement except to quote from memory.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Welcome to MobileRead JenPen1. The more Canadians the better. You never know when desertgrandma will have another international poll!
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Thanks Bob for the quick response. I figured that would be the case, but wanted to make sure first, what with security being what it is today.
I've flown with my 505 a number of times both domestic and international and there's never been a problem apart from a security guard at Dulles who'd never seen an eBook reader. I had to demo the thing for him and, by the time I was done, he was hooked and going to buy one on the way home.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote