Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Chicago Public Library - Adobe PDF?

I was delighted to read on this forum that the Chicago Public Library offerred ebooks. But I am not sure about formats. The website says it has Adobe PDF or Mobipocket. I assume I can get Mobipocket on my Kindle with mobidedrm. But I am unfamiliary with Adobe PDF. Can anyone tell me how to get that on my kindle? The book I want only comes in the Adobe format!

Thanks, Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
But I am unfamiliary with Adobe PDF. Can anyone tell me how to get that on my kindle? The book I want only comes in the Adobe format!
You can't sorry.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I was delighted to read on this forum that the Chicago Public Library offerred ebooks. But I am not sure about formats. The website says it has Adobe PDF or Mobipocket. I assume I can get Mobipocket on my Kindle with mobidedrm. But I am unfamiliary with Adobe PDF. Can anyone tell me how to get that on my kindle? The book I want only comes in the Adobe format!

Thanks, Debra
This is the problems I am having with many libraries. It seems that for some reason, the Adobe format is way more popular. Have you checked into the New York Public Library? They have lots of mobipocket books..search here, and under 'formats' choose mobipocket.

http://ebooks.nypl.org/043324A1-3EFB...rowseBooks.htm
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Pilot Bob and Desertgrandma. Yes, I see in going through the catalog, that most are Adobe PDF. I get a free library card from CPL - isn't worth $100/year to join NYPL. But, there are a few. I just won't renew the card, I guess.

It is too bad they make this so hard. All the books I want to check out are available online illegally. But not legally!

Debra
Old 01-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is too bad they make this so hard. All the books I want to check out are available online illegally. But not legally!
Yep... DRM turns people into thieves. (yea it's not theft blah blah blah)

BOb
Old 01-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I assume I can get Mobipocket on my Kindle with mobidedrm.
You could instead use KindleFIX, see Visual Kindle Guide. The advantage of KindleFIX is that it is almost certainly a legal use of the library ebook. The use of mobidedrm is always under a legal cloud, but probably more so for library ebooks that for ebooks you purchased.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks, Wallcraft. Yes, I always try kindlefix first - I really try and be an honest person! I used to be a heavy user of the library, and had hoped to continue using ebooks, but it is not to be!
Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want PDF from the library, the only current solution is a Sony Reader 505 or 700.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

You know, once I get through all the books on my kindle, I just might do that! Of course, if I want a 505, I probably better act quickly.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Talk to the head of your library who works with the Overdrive subscription. Explain your interests and concerns. It's amazing how much that can help over time. My librarian was very interested in my requests. As ereaders gain popularity, I think we will see additional support for them from libraries.

Additionally, if you have relatives that belong to other libraries, they may be willing to checkout books for you on their library cards.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You know, once I get through all the books on my kindle, I just might do that! Of course, if I want a 505, I probably better act quickly.
Rather than spend $300 on another reader so you can borrow books... why not just buy the books you are interested in reading on the Kindle?

BOb
Old 01-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Rather than spend $300 on another reader so you can borrow books... why not just buy the books you are interested in reading on the Kindle?

BOb
True -- one could buy quite a lot of books for $300. One should compare first!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

You are all so sensible! I just like gadgets. And I like the idea of checking out ebooks the way I used to check out library books. I like cheap little romances, and the libraries have tons of them, in the adobe format. But you are right - $300 goes a long way with those books (which are usually available in a bundle, 10 books for $15.

When I went into the library to get my card, they had row after row of these books - I could just go pick up 30 at a time. But I am too embarassed to check the book out and carry it around.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
You are all so sensible! I just like gadgets. And I like the idea of checking out ebooks the way I used to check out library books. I like cheap little romances, and the libraries have tons of them, in the adobe format. But you are right - $300 goes a long way with those books (which are usually available in a bundle, 10 books for $15.

When I went into the library to get my card, they had row after row of these books - I could just go pick up 30 at a time. But I am too embarassed to check the book out and carry it around.
I also like cheap little romance. Now I have 8 library cards from 5 different states. The Sony PRS-505 is well worth it. Most of the books are in Abode format. I read about 20 books a month, that adds up to about $75 a month for a $3.50 book, so I'm saving a ton by having the Sony and checking the books from the library. I too love the privacy of checking out these books.

Where are you getting the bundle for $15? I pay $17 for 8 Presents and $9.99 for the remaining 4 monthly; that's why I started collecting library cards.

Last edited by Lilly; 01-20-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Lilly, glad to see someone understands! I bought the bundle from Amazon around Christmas. I hope you downloaded all the free books from eHarlequin!

I see you have both. If you check out library books with the Sony, why did you get the Kindle? Or was that first? If so, what do you now use the kindle for? (I'm really trying to do everything I can to justify a second reader!)