Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
600 to T1 Quandry

I have a 600 and the battery life is deteriorating. What are the benefits of the T1 over the 600. I have seen comparisons between the T1 and 350/650, is my 600 something of a dinosaur?
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_callant View Post
is my 600 something of a dinosaur?
Yes it is.

I've just made that move myself and can tell you that there is almost nothing that my 600 is better that my T1.

The metal casing of the 600 is excellent, but the quality of the T1's plastic is pretty good as well. The only issue I have with the plastic is it's glossy finish, but this can be resolved with a skin (when I can find one).

I can't comment on the battery life yet as I'm not allow to properly use it until my birthday (it is a present after all), but I imagine it will be perfectly reasonable.

The T1 has a much better screen, I found it to be much clearer thanks to its newer technology (pearl instead of visplex) and I don't get any fading when I turn the page in bright sunshine.

Also the epub rending engine is superior to the 600 as Sony and Adobe have had time to resolve these issues.

The only issue with the T1 is if you have a lot of the old Sony BBeB books (lrf & lrx) as the T1 does not support them.

I've no hesitation in making the move from 600 to T1. 650 to T1 though is a lot more subjective though and may need more of a decision on.

I hope this helps.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
Thanks for the reply, I'm off to get the T1
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hmmm, guess this means that my 505 who's battery is also fading away is about to be replaced by the T1.

Do you think the T1 is as good as either the Nook or Kobo?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Sony is having a sale on the refurbished 350's so you could consider that as an option as well.

I love my 650 but left it at work recently. To finish my book, my daughter let me (reluctantly I might add) borrow her 350. I initially thought with my aging eyes that the 350 would be too small, but it worked very well. I find I liked it more than my 650 as it was lighter. So, I had been on the lookout for a good buy on the 350.

The cart will show it as approx 150, but once you proceed to checkout, you'll see the lower price of $85; free shipping.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_callant View Post
Thanks for the reply, I'm off to get the T1
Good choice, the 600 was limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hmmm, guess this means that my 505 who's battery is also fading away is about to be replaced by the T1.

Do you think the T1 is as good as either the Nook or Kobo?
I recently (just before the T-1 was announced) purchased a PRS-950 and love the touch screen and quicker page turns so I'm sure you would be happy with any of those readers you mentioned.

As an alternative I also just replaced the battery in my 505 (it makes an excellent backup) and I no longer have a fading battery. It cost $25 plus shipping. The site has an excellent video taking you step by step through the process and they include the tools you need.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-15-2011 at 09:15 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote