Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Large Screen e-readers

Does anyone have a time line for the release of the large display e-readers? My understanding is that there is a Netronix, Jinke, Asus, etc, all coming out soon.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
As well as the Dittobook D9 and the Notion Ink Adam.

I've been researching e-readers and saving my money for a year now and have been waiting for the large screen, wif-fi, touch screen readers to be released; ones that will handle newspaper and magazine pdf's well. I can hardly stand the wait.

At this point I will probably get whichever is the first one to the finish line. Are you manufacturers listening?
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
Franky
Nameless Being

i've got the same idea, gastan. i'm waiting for a larger screen myself. it looks that i'm getting a iRex DR800SG. it would be great to get the Asus DR800 in stead, but it'sstill not clear when it comes on the market. the same problem with the Hanlin A9.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

I have an Entourage eDGe and it is awesome. Can't recommend it enough. However, I need another large screen e-reader that is more portable and easier to carry around, especially for travel. I only read technical and scientific papers (PDFs) and I need an e-reader that is at least 9.7" diagonally.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
I had a pre-order for the eDGe (March delivery) but cancelled it after I started reading things like, "Wow, this thing is heavy," or "This is heavier than I expected," here on mobileread. I am hoping the next hardware released will be weighed in ounces rather than pounds.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict

The performance of the eDGe is excellent overall. It is really a great device. I am very satisfied with it. The weight of it, however, is a problem for me. I do a lot of reading on the eDGe and it does everything I need but I find it is uncomfortable to carry as a quick grab and go e-reader. It weighs just about the same as my netbook. I need an e-reader that is lighter, easier to carry around, specifically for travel, and that it has a large display good enough for scientific and technical documents in PDF.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
I only read technical and scientific papers (PDFs) and I need an e-reader that is at least 9.7" diagonally.
Would you say an 8.1" reader would definitely be not enough for that purpose?

Last edited by eLiNK; 03-11-2010 at 10:08 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Judging by different pieces of information, no additional 9.7" readers would be available before the end of April. (iPad is not an ebook reader for me).

All Sipix based ebook readers get delayed by at least 1 month (meaning Hanlin A9, Asus 950/900).
The Dittobook has announced a 1 month delay of its D9.
Onyx won't bring its 9.7" reader before this summer.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
Would you say an 8.1" reader would definitely be not enough for that purpose?
Having spent the day, as I spend most days, reading academic papers on an 8.1" reader - many of which papers are double column - I would say it's plenty big enough.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I have an Entourage eDGe and it is awesome. Can't recommend it enough. However, I need another large screen e-reader that is more portable and easier to carry around, especially for travel. I only read technical and scientific papers (PDFs) and I need an e-reader that is at least 9.7" diagonally.
Kindle DX
It works
Its an actual shipping product
same size eink screen as the edge (9.7)

10.4" x 7.2" x 0.38" and weighs 18.9 ounces

the edge is
8.25" x 10.75" by 1.0" and weighs ~3 lbs

perhaps the DX is the ticket for your travel -
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
Kindle DX
It works
Its an actual shipping product
same size eink screen as the edge (9.7)

10.4" x 7.2" x 0.38" and weighs 18.9 ounces

the edge is
8.25" x 10.75" by 1.0" and weighs ~3 lbs

perhaps the DX is the ticket for your travel -
DX has no ePub support. So that leaves it out of consideration. It means that the OP's ePub eBooks won't work on the DX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
zetareticuli
Addict

Not to mention the DX's lack of PDF zooming features. I have tried the DX and it displays PDF good enough if they were created with a large font.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Not to mention the DX's lack of PDF zooming features. I have tried the DX and it displays PDF good enough if they were created with a large font.
You can increase font size though.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #14
zetareticuli
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelad View Post
You can increase the font size of a PDF in the Kindle DX? I didn't know that. I don't own one. I have tried it by borrowing it from friends...
Old 03-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelad View Post
reflow is pretty useless with pdfs containing tables and charts.

Last edited by eLiNK; 03-11-2010 at 04:49 PM.