Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #46
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Isn't that when Al Gore says something that is factual?
No, that's an oxymoron!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #47
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Yeah this is very big news for the publishing industry. Cue conspiracy theories, has Amazon heard that the Apple tablet is coming out and a number of publishers are already in the process of integrating with itunes for the launch?

If there's one thing Amazon knows about Apple from their mp3 sales is that the itunes store is tough to compete with (huge customer base and publicity). Amazon could be seeking to make a more appealing alternative for authors/publishers already?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #48
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Actually, the clause states that the ebook price should be 20 percent lower than the lowest print copy (they are taking into account hardback or trade or mass market).
I think you are misinterpreting what I said. When I said "the same" I meant the process was the same, and not that the list price and the digital list price would be the same.

The point I was trying to make (apparently not very well) was that I believed prices of books sold to Amazon and to Amazon's competitors should be the same.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #49
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I think you are misinterpreting what I said. When I said "the same" I meant the process was the same, and not that the list price and the digital list price would be the same.

The point I was trying to make (apparently not very well) was that I believed prices of books sold to Amazon and to Amazon's competitors should be the same.
OH. Well if that's what you said, then yeah. I agreed. Just because I didn't read it right, doesn't mean you didn't say it right!!!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #50
darius
darius began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Why would Amazon do this? Think about it for a second. Amazon is currently paying authors/publishers 35% and keeping 65%, but now they're announcing they will keep 30% and give the authors/publishers 70%. Why would Amazon slash their own profit margins? Furthermore, will this move make the publishers happy?

Amazon just declared war!... against Apple
FYP

Amazon is only preempting Apple's announcement next week when they will announcement the same 30/70 split that they use succesfully on the Appstore and iTunes. This is the ONLY reason they are doing this. Competition and hallelujah for that.

Publishers are going to feel the pinch, when all is said and done they are the middlemen who connect the authors with the reading public. Create a profitable low cost distribution system and the age of the publisher could be soon extinct.
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #51
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I note that to be eligible for 70%, the title must enable text-to-speech. I wish they'd also insist on DRM-free.
I entirely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Who'd a thunk gay-hating, closeted, DRM ridden, greedy corporatists like Amazon would ever be the ones to be on the author's side.
Let's not go there, please. Even with a smiley.

Quote:
Oh--those of you talking about DRM--it is up to the publisher whether to include DRM. Their current upload process allows me and other authors to opt out of DRM.
Is that so? I'd heard other authors complain that they didn't want to distribute through Amazon because they'd been told they would be forced to use DRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius View Post
Publishers are going to feel the pinch, when all is said and done they are the middlemen who connect the authors with the reading public. Create a profitable low cost distribution system and the age of the publisher could be soon extinct.
So long as editors don't become extinct. I am still firmly of the opinion that a good editor is critical to the writing/publishing process.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #52
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius View Post
FYP

Amazon is only preempting Apple's announcement next week when they will announcement the same 30/70 split that they use succesfully on the Appstore and iTunes. This is the ONLY reason they are doing this. Competition and hallelujah for that.

This simply isn't true. Amazon's current system is paying publishers more than they would get under the new 70/30 system.

Keep in mind that 35% of a book with a list price of $28 (a typical list price for a hardcover) is higher than 70% of $9.99.

I think this has more to do with fighting back against publishers that have decided to delay the release of ebooks.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #53
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
This simply isn't true. Amazon's current system is paying publishers more than they would get under the new 70/30 system.
I may be wrong, but I believe Amazon has a two-tiered structure. The Digital Text Platform (DTP) is for small and self-publishers. Larger publishers are on a different system altogether, where they set the wholesale prices. E.g. I don't think Amazon can arbitrarily decide to discount DTP texts and just eat the cost differential, which they do routinely with certain bestsellers.

I expect it has more to do with using the carrot rather than the stick to make $9.99 the ceiling for ebook pricing, as well as just getting more people and small publishers to use DTP.

I also doubt Amazon has all that much to fear from Apple, since they can likely knock out a "Kindle for iSlate" or whatever it is (if it actually exists) with full Whispernet integration fairly quickly.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #54
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Oh--those of you talking about DRM--it is up to the publisher whether to include DRM. Their current upload process allows me and other authors to opt out of DRM.
This is true of the DTP system offered to individual authors and small publishers. It is not true of the upload system used by larger publishers. E-reads, for example, which embraces DRM-free multiformats in other stores, has no choice but to accept DRM in the Kindle store. (And, for that matter, the Sony store. And probably the B&N store.)

Last edited by starrigger; 01-20-2010 at 08:54 PM.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #55
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe Amazon has a two-tiered structure. The Digital Text Platform (DTP) is for small and self-publishers. Larger publishers are on a different system altogether, where they set the wholesale prices. E.g. I don't think Amazon can arbitrarily decide to discount DTP texts and just eat the cost differential, which they do routinely with certain bestsellers.

I expect it has more to do with using the carrot rather than the stick to make $9.99 the ceiling for ebook pricing, as well as just getting more people and small publishers to use DTP.

I also doubt Amazon has all that much to fear from Apple, since they can likely knock out a "Kindle for iSlate" or whatever it is (if it actually exists) with full Whispernet integration fairly quickly.
I think you are right about different tiered systems. It is my understanding as well that Amazon has different arrangements between smaller publishers that publish through DTP and major publishers such as Random House.

However, the major publishers get an even better deal than the small publishers. So if the existing system, based on 35% of List Price is better for smaller publishers then you can be assurred that it is even better for the bigger publishers. As far as I can tell, the only people Amazon is offering a carrot is the authors that dump their publishers (at least in regards to ebooks).
Old 01-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #56
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Is that so? I'd heard other authors complain that they didn't want to distribute through Amazon because they'd been told they would be forced to use DRM.
ENDQUOTE

It is a new "feature" that became available in the last couple of weeks (there was no announcement that I know of, but it's a new button that authors are talking about) So you are correct--in the old system, anyone uploading was automatically DRM. Now you can opt either way.

I'm not quite clear on books that are already published. Some authors are finding that they can "republish" with DRM or without, but the location of the option is not...always easy to find.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #57
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
This seems like good news. I am interested in the idea that they adopted this because Apple is going to make the same offer next week. And text-to-speech? Is Apple going to make iTunes your spoken-word library, too?

It will be interesting to see how this affects the deal they have with Smashwords.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #58
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I think this has more to do with fighting back against publishers that have decided to delay the release of ebooks.
Yeah, it's round 3 of Amazon's fight to monopolise the publishing business. They obviously believe they have a large enough presence now (which may be true) to start putting the screws on.

The real question now is whether Apple's device makes a splash as an ereader. If it does, Amazon runs the risk of publishers relegating Kindle releases to 2nd-tier status.

The announcement is certainly good news for established authors with digital rights to their back-catalogue, and for smaller publishers who charge under $10 anyway. As for new authors who think self-publishing with Amazon is now the road to riches - well, good luck with that...
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #59
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Quote:
Why would Amazon do this? Think about it for a second. Amazon is currently paying authors/publishers 35% and keeping 65%, but now they're announcing they will keep 30% and give the authors/publishers 70%. Why would Amazon slash their own profit margins? Furthermore, will this move make the publishers happy?

Well, let's take a look at the numbers.

Here are the numbers for a typical book using the existing 65/35 payout structure.
List Price:________$28.00 (35% is $9.80)
Pbook Retail Price:_$15.00 (So publisher/author gets $9.80 and Amazon gets $5.20)
Ebook Retail Price:__$9.99 (So publisher/author gets $9.80 and Amazon gets $0.19)

Here are the numbers for the new 30/70 payout structure.
List Price:________$28.00 (35% is $9.80)
Digital Price:_______$9.99 (70% is $6.99)
Pbook Retail Price:_$15.00 (So publisher/author gets $9.80 and Amazon gets $5.20)
Ebook Retail Price:__$9.99 (So publisher/author gets $6.99 and Amazon gets $2.00)

Cleary the publishers are now making LESS money with ebooks if they switch to this new payout structure. However, Amazon is still retaining the old payout structure, so most publishers will just stay on the old system. So why is Amazon doing this if publishers won't sign up? Because Amazon is going after the authors.

Make no mistake about, baby -- Amazon just declared war!
I agree 100%. And it's a war the publishers can't win in the end. They just don't have the digital presence or anybody working for them who can get them some of that juicy digital presence. There's got to be a lot of authors whose back catalog is no longer in print, or whose contracts are about to be renewed who are looking at this right now with big Cheshire Cat smiles on their face.

--------------

An internal monologue with a moderately successful writer about to renew his publishing deal.

So, I get what, 5-10% and zero marketing, plus you take all my digital rights until I'm too stupid, old or dead to care about them...or....I take 70%...I take 70%....70....percent...with Amazon?

At this point the author runs away yelling 'whoopee!' at the top of their lungs.

---------------

This isn't a War, the publishers would actually have to have enough troops to fight back. This is a rousting!

Let the games begin!
So much uninsightful speculation by people who clearly haven't the first idea what they are talking about...

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #60
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
So much uninsightful speculation by people who clearly haven't the first idea what they are talking about...

- Ahi
Is there a moderator around, because I'm not going to do this behind anybody's back. But surely what he just posted contravenes all the rules on etiquette around here (even with a thumbs up). It's a personal attack, and I'd like to report it out in the open instead of being some sneak about it (because I've been on the end of those enough times).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote