Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The Kindle that placed the order will receive the book via Whispernet. Then 5 other Kindles (for a total of 6) can download to a computer and transfer the books via USB.
When you purchase online you specify which Kindle to send it to. After purchase you can send it to other Kindles too. (Actually, since I don't have more than one it is possible you could select more than one kindle, but my drop down only lists one kindle.)

However, all of the 6 registered Kindles can use the Content manager to d/l the ebook once it is in your media library.

The only limitation with ONE kindle is subscriptions. They are only sent/encrypted to one specific Kindles. If you want to read Newsweek on two kindles for example you have to buy two (although I think someone maybe said you can d/l it and put it on all Kindles. I'm unsure of this).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #62
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
We aren't paying every time we want to read a book. We are paying every time we want to download a book.
So you keep all your ebooks on your Kindle?

Getting back to the topic, what happens when you lose your Kindle and Amazon no longer supports it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Apparently, judging from the world wide screaming for Amazon to go to Canada, Europe, India and Saudi Arabia for Chrissakes, consumers ARE going for it.
As P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #63
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks for the correction BOb. It looks as though subscriptions can be shared as well.

Amazon Forum Post

Quote:
In reply to your post on Jul 9, 2008 11:30 AM PDT
Leslie H. Nicoll says:
Yes.

I verified it with my New York Times subscription. I, as the subscriber, receive it via Whispernet, but the other Kindles on my account can access the paper (7 days worth is maintained in the archive) via "My Media Library." You have to transfer it with the USB.

I would assume this works for a magazine subscription, too, but I haven't specifically tested that.

LHN
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #64
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post

Getting back to the topic, what happens when you lose your Kindle and Amazon no longer supports it?

If I"m that careless, I buy another reader. I repeat.....my most treasured books, with the exception of 4 Stephen King books, are free classics I've downloaded for free. And I'd like to see someone try to steal mine. It goes with me everywhere, and I'm pretty aware of who is around me, and I don't believe in mercy for thiefs.

As P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."
Okay, I'm really trying to understand here. Exactly what is your problem with the Kindle? The format? Okay, don't support them by buying one. But why the antagonism? Why shouldn't people be free to buy what they want?

Contrary to popular opinion, its not a given right that everything should be available to everyone, around the world, in every format.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #65
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You can only purchase Kindle books if you have a Kindle.

Once those 6 have finished the book, they delete it from the Kindles and the next 6 in line can download to computer and transfer via USB. And so on and so on and so on.

Basically only 6 Kindles at a time (on the same account) can share the same book.
You mean Amazon deletes the book from your kindle?
Or you do it yourself?
But if you delete the book manually, how does Amazon know?

suppose you live in an area without connection...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #66
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Or you do it yourself?

If you live in an area with connection, within the US, you can download to your computer, and then to your Kindle using the USB cord.

If you are really interested in learning about the Kindle, go here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470

I think your questions will be well answered, by the experts.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #67
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Or you do it yourself?

You would delete the book from your Kindle yourself.

As far as what happens with the folks not in a Whispernet area, I don't know the answer, I think you're going to have to contact Amazon on that one.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #68
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can store them locally... but personally I am not worried about Amazon going away.

Quote:
While "possible" it is not likely. What happens when your pbooks decay? Nothing is forever. I'm okay with that.

BOb
Old 10-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #69
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You can store them locally... but personally I am not worried about Amazon going away.
Neither am I. But I am worried about them not supporting the DRMed content they take money for - as they have done to their customers twice already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
While "possible" it is not likely. What happens when your pbooks decay? Nothing is forever. I'm okay with that.
Seeing how many of my pBooks are getting replaced by eBooks, and the fact that I own some pBooks that are older than I am yet are still readable, I'm not overly worried about my pBooks.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #70
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think there may be a bit of misunderstanding when it comes to sharing books between Kindles. I have two on my account and I can't just copy a book from one to the other. I can go to my Media Library and have it sent to mine and my husband's. I can download it to my computer from the Media Library but when I do so, I specify which Kindle it's for. If I download one for my Kindle, I can't just load it on my husband's and have it be readable. It appears that each copy you download is encrypted with a single PID.

Last edited by Alisa; 10-16-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #71
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think there may be a bit of misunderstanding when it comes to sharing books between Kindles. I have two on my account and I can't just copy a book from one to the other. I can go to my Media Library and have it sent to mine and my husband's. I can download it to my computer from the Media Library but when I do so, I specify which Kindle it's for. If I download one for my Kindle, I can't just load it on my husband's and have it be readable. It appears that each copy you download is encrypted with a single PID.
I do not believe that is true. If you enable other devices then the license is for all the then enabled devices. If you add your husbands machine to your account you would need to redownload those books you had already bought to get a copy with his account on it but then you could exchange them. At least that is how I believe it works. It is how Mobipocket books work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #72
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Neither am I. But I am worried about them not supporting the DRMed content they take money for - as they have done to their customers twice already.
Based on your concerns I would suggest that you never buy a Kindle.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #73
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think there may be a bit of misunderstanding when it comes to sharing books between Kindles. I have two on my account and I can't just copy a book from one to the other.
I assume you have verified this? You have tried to d/l the ebook and put it on both kindles and it didn't work on one of them?

BOb
Old 10-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #74
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

From the amazon kindle support page

"Content from the Kindle Store: Most books and other non-subscription items you purchase from the Kindle store may be downloaded to up to six Kindles registered to the same Amazon.com account. If you have exceeded your download limit, you must purchase an additional copy of the title. Subscription content can only be downloaded to one Kindle at a time, and only the seven most recent issues will be available for redownload in the Kindle Content Manager or from Your Media Library."

Now, as I read this, you can have one book on all 6 kindles, right?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #75
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:

I had to email amazon because I had heard different versions.........here is their answer....

"Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding multiple Kindles registered to one account.

Because each Kindle will have downloaded its own version of the same book, all 6 can read the same book at once.

Please contact us again if have any other questions.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:"

Alisa, if you can't read yours on both Kindles at the same time, you might want to contact Amazon and find out why. And, by the way, I got the answer to my email within 1 hour. Great customer support.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 10-16-2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: addendum

Tags
buy, ebook, lose, reader