Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Jutoh?

Has anyone used Jutoh to create and submit a mobi book to Amazon? I just heard about it this morning.

I've been tweaking my epub directly in Sigil, but I was anxious about using a conversion program (either Calibre or Amazon) to move from epub to mobi.

I'm wondering if this is a better way to go?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I create them in Dreamweaver and convert to Mobi with Mobicreator. But when I buy Mobis I convert them to epub and back again with Calibre to fix the typos and I haven't seen any problems with the end result.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Has anyone used Jutoh to create and submit a mobi book to Amazon? I just heard about it this morning.

I've been tweaking my epub directly in Sigil, but I was anxious about using a conversion program (either Calibre or Amazon) to move from epub to mobi.

I'm wondering if this is a better way to go?
Give Calibre a try at converting your ePub and see how it goes before even thinking of spending money on something you very well may not need. You can also try Mobipocket Reader and Mobipocket Creator to convert your ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Give Calibre a try at converting your ePub and see how it goes before even thinking of spending money on something you very well may not need. You can also try Mobipocket Reader and Mobipocket Creator to convert your ePub.
The problem is that the Calibre conversion looks great in Calibre, but I've no Kindle to test it on to view the Reader's Experience...

A good WYSIWYG editor would be invaluable, but I've no way to evaluate one for similar reasons. *le sigh*

Last edited by anamardoll; 12-29-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The problem is that the Calibre conversion looks great in Calibre, but I've no Kindle to test it on to view the Reader's Experience...

A good WYSIWYG editor would be invaluable, but I've no way to evaluate one for similar reasons. *le sigh*
Read the following on what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
If you just want to check look-and-feel and basic functionality (TOC displays upon button-click and internal links work, but no search), then Amazon's Kindle Previewer app simulates the K2/K3/KDX fairly well, and you can set it to iPhone/iPad app display also.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
anamardoll,

While the Previewer app is the way to go, note that for $40 more than the cost of Jutoh, you could buy a Kindle. Then, you'd not only have a sure way to see how stuff looks on the Kindle, but you'd also have a Kindle. :-)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

@JSWolf, I either did not know about that or had forgotten. Thank you!!

@ApK, EW.

But seriously, a WYSIWYG tool is still much better. After all, if the Kindle tells me that the Calibre conversion mucked things up, I still have to outlay money for an editor in which to fix the problem. I know of no free mobi editor on the market. (Unlike Sigil.)
Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
wraylewis
Enthusiast
wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad and Kindle
I have both Sigil and Jutoh. Both have their places. I used Sigil to create an ePub that I uploaded to Amazon. Could not get the formatting right. It may well have been my fault.

So, I got Jutoh, and had it output the same thing to mobi format and it came out just as I wanted.

YMMV

[promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-02-2012 at 08:26 PM.
wraylewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Oh noez!
Anamardoll must buy a Kindle, (for research) and be forced to get another evil gadget. What an awful problem.

Et Tu Jutoh
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
You are aware that the KDP uploader tool converts .Doc, .pdf and .epub formats to .mobi, right?
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by altworld View Post
You are aware that the KDP uploader tool converts .Doc, .pdf and .epub formats to .mobi, right?
Problem is you can't check the resulting output without having to buy your own book. You only need to look at a few samples on Smashwords to see what sort of funky formatting you can get from a Word file if you don't know what you're doing.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
wraylewis
Enthusiast
wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad and Kindle
that's the problem I had. As mentioned earlier, I used Sigil to create an epub. It looked fine on my iPad in iBooks. But the formatting was messed up when Amazon converted the same epub to the mobi format. With Jutoh, I was able to open the epub, use Jutoh's fairly easy to understand formatting via styles which gave me visual examples as I adjusted them, and quickly output a mobi directly that works just fine on Kindles.
wraylewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
nm, Mr. Ploppy already responded....

Last edited by ApK; 01-03-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: too early
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Also odd because the built in Preview device on KDP gives a very good idea of what the book will look like. Plus emulators will also give you an idea of the book once it has been accepted. However I'm not interested in getting what is the best way to format your ebook war, I accepted a long time ago that ebook are a compromise because of different size screens, so what I do works for me, works for my readers and I'm happy with that.
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
@ApK, EW.
Myself, I have been thinking of getting a low end Kindle for this very reason. I have recently gotten an iDevice and found out that my Smashwords epub looks fine on my Nook, it has a blank page between every chapter on iDevices. Grrr. Amazon is the ebook market king so it makes sense to spend a bit extra effort and money there I guess.

I have used the .Doc upload to make my Kindle books. I find following the Smashwords Style guide produces good results with the.... kindle preview that you can see when you upload a book. I have no idea what it would look like on a real kindle though.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote