Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
Why are people touting Sonys in a Pocketbook thread?
The OP said she was waiting for the PB360 upgrade and was looking at the 350. Then Farhad yelled no touch screen and I replied. Then it went from there. So really, blame Farhad for saying how all screens leave very noticeable fingerprints. Then others chimed in to say their x50 Sony does not show fingerprints all that much. So there you go.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #62
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Freedom hating company? That's slander. You don't have to like Sony. But that's no reason for slander.
http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-6376177-1.html
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/02/son...ckdoor-access/
https://www.eff.org/cases/sony-bmg-litigation-info
http://www.wikihow.com/Protect-Yours...ootkit-Malware
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-violating-gpl

You seem to be as blind to facts as you are to stains
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #63
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
For the same reason Maccies would have a fit at any criticism - whether factual or not - of their iStuff. Some brands develop a cult-like following and these folks get very defensive very fast. Instead of dismissing some dude who doesn't like touchscreens for ebook readers, they embark on a major campaign to clear the good name of the object of their adulation. It's all emotions, that's all.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So do you buy anything with DRM? If you do, then are you helping to support so called freedom hating companies?

So I and all the others in this thread who have chimed in about fingerprints on the x50 Readers are all blind. I don't think so.

Oh and nice way to try to get around my question. Have you ever used/seen a Sony Reader from the x50 line?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
For the same reason Maccies would have a fit at any criticism - whether factual or not - of their iStuff. Some brands develop a cult-like following and these folks get very defensive very fast. Instead of dismissing some dude who doesn't like touchscreens for ebook readers, they embark on a major campaign to clear the good name of the object of their adulation. It's all emotions, that's all.
No, it's touting a rather good product and given the OP's original post, it's on topic.
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 AM   #66
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
And it's not all about Sonys, There are enough answers from people owning another device, it's only Sony having the most devices operated with fingers, and obviously a stylus doesn't make fingerprints
As for Farhad: "Nobody is so blind as one who doesn't want to see", or in your case it's more "Nobody is so observant as one who wants to see"

Last edited by troll05; 04-20-2011 at 03:32 AM.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 AM   #67
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Anyone know the status of the new model to replace the 360? Last I heard, it was scheduled to come out first quarter of this year...

And are the rumors that is will be touchscreen, and pearl screen true?

I've got my eye on the Sony PRS-350,
Quote:
Now, I'm being serious, not a smart ass, I really have no clue about Sonys.
This is the reason why. And as you yourself stated, you have no clue about the Sonys. Which does not say anything about your other posts in this thread where no of them contributed to the OP's questions, but were all made on behalf of why the PB is best for you. You were not very helpful, were you?

Quote:
Is it? First of all, you said said something that it simply not true. That's a fact. Second, you seem to have an astonishingly short-lived memory. I, one of the persons you declared to be cult member, was the one who suggested Pocketbook to you in the first instance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Have you already have a look at the Pocketbook IQ? They are very versatile and hackerfriendly.
Quote:
Dear friends,
Thanks for the pointers. Yes, Android is the way to go, and the PocketBook 701 looks really fantastic for a very reasonable price. Frankly, a PB701 with a 16GB card seems like a fantastic solution. The processor is an amazing 800MHz (!!) while my beloved N800 Internet Tablet only had a 330MHz CPU. I will wait to hear for other opinions/suggestions, but that looks like one fantastic candidate. Thanks a lot for the pointer!
Here is the full thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121164
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #68
Farhad
Zealot

Quote:
So do you buy anything with DRM?
Never. Not even once in my life but I being a member of the Pirate Party of Russia, I refuse to have to pay for books/music/software/etc on principle (I do send money to authors directly when such an option in available)

besides, DRM is not the same as rootkits, backdoors and GPL violantions. Or, maybe it is, at least by implication

Anyway, you accused me of 'slander' and I proved you wrong. [begin kidding]. I thought that you would present your most sincere, heart-felt excuses with tears-filled eyes and a deep sense of remorse and contrition since your accusation of me being a slanderer was, well, exactly that - slander.[/end kidding]

But no, you then sidestepped my evidence of Sony being anti-freedom by asking me whether I ever purchased DRMed stuff and then you complimented *me* for my 'nice way' to get around your question while yourself getting around mine, LOL!

Quote:
Have you ever used/seen a Sony Reader from the x50 line?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Second, you seem to have an astonishingly short-lived memory. I, one of the persons you declared to be cult member, was the one who suggested Pocketbook to you in the first instance....
Indeed, you did and I don't remember disputing that, Am I really the one with memory issues here Nor did I accuse anyone in particular of having a cult-like attitude towards Sony, but if you feel like you were singled out here, be my guest, I won't dispute that either.

By the way, Android was a big disappointment for me. I don't like it one bit. The IQ701 hardware is great, but I wish it had another OS on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
"Nobody is so blind as one who doesn't want to see", or in your case it's more "Nobody is so observant as one who wants to see"
That is quite true. I *was* looking for fingermarks on the Sony if only because I *do* have a bias against touchscreens on ebook readers. So the fact that I did find them might well have something to do with my biases, though that does not imply that I hallucinated.

Ok guys, this is becoming boring, really. Let's conclude that here by saying that some of us like touchscreens on ebook readers, some don't. Some see finger stains on Sony ereaders, some don't. Some like Sony as a company, some don't.

Just for the record: For me the decision to get a PB360 versus another eink reader was not based only on touchscreen/stylus issues. Sure, I don't like them, but far more important to me is the fact that the PB360's software is free and open source, applications for it are therefore developed by the community (including an awesome chess playing application), it features the FBReader (the single best and most flexible ebook reader out there IMNSHO) the PB360 let's you choose your typeface (arguably the single most important factor of ebook reader "readability") and configure all your buttons, you can install any dictionary you want, you can add entire *libraries* in a sec by switching SD/SDHC cards, the built in accelerometer allows you to flip the screen in any direction and read with any hand, you can even flip pages by shaking the reader, it reads FB2s (my favorite format), the battery is user-replaceable, it needs no proprietary (rootkited) desktop software (which does not even run on GNU/Linux), comes with a 2 year guarantee and its roughly 25-30% cheaper than the PRS-350 even before you get a cover for the latter. So, really, the Sony PRS-350 was never even in running for me

But, of course, these are all personal preferences, YMMV.

Cheers!

Last edited by Farhad; 04-20-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #69
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
PB360's software is free and open source
And you're a fortunate man who, by commanding the beautiful Russian language, can understand the documentation for it, so you can do what you like. Other not-so-fortunate folks begrudge the weird language choice by Pocketbook.

And let's not get started in the new models' openness...
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #70
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I just bought a PocketBook 360 after much deliberation and LOVE it. Funny enough, my mom wanted one herself even before she'd seen it because she'd heard me rave about it. I suggested we wait until she'd tried my PB, at which point she turned to me and said, "You know, I DO like it, but it's not quite what I want." I asked her what she liked about reading on her iPhone and two minutes later I said, "Let's go get you a Sony PRS-350." We did, and she LOVES it.

Ultimately, I don't even know that the two devices can be compared in a meaningful way. Mom loves touchscreens; I do not. I much much MUCH prefer the button interface of the PB, as well as the g-sensor that lets me rotate the buttons into whatever position I want. Mom likes the "sturdy" look and feel of the Sony chrome; I prefer the "lightweight" (even though the weights of the devices are comparable) plastic of the PB.

I like the complete control I have with my PB. I can use whatever firmware I want. I can reset the device to factory settings with the touch of the button. I can move things via the SD card and the device through the device interface. Heck, I can USE an SD card (a major deal breaker for me with the Sony). I can easily organize my books in folders on my device (Sony seemed to dump Mom's books into a single "books" category no matter what I did). I don't have to install the Sony Reader Library software just to get Adobe Digital Editions to recognize my device (why? WHY??). I LOVE being able to map my own commands to the buttons however I want. The PB device is, essentially, perfect for a control freak like me.

Mom doesn't care about any of that. She likes the sleek touchscreen and the tiny pictures on the buttons. She'll never use the stylus, but it's there if she wanted it. I'm thrilled that she's happy. I can hate Sony as a company for going after PS3 jailbreakers, while still happily buying their PRS-350 reader because it makes my mom happy. Anything for her.

Comparing PB 360 and PRS-350, to me, is like comparing apples and oranges. They meet an entirely different set of needs and almost the only thing they have in common is their size and weight. To me, personally, the PB is a Porsche and the PRS-350 is a kid's wagon because I care so dang much about SD card expansion and device customization. For someone like my mother (who ADORES touchscreens and finds them incredibly intuitive), the PB is a non-starter and the Sony PRS-350 is a dream come true. It's just different priorities.

Having said all that, anyone who says there are no fingerprints shown WHATSOEVER on the Sony screens has a different batch number than the one we bought for Mom this weekend. Both my PB and the Sony have been wiped down once already for "incidental" prints we left during the setup processes.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #71
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
The PB device is, essentially, perfect for a control freak like me.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Mom doesn't care about any of that. She likes the sleek touchscreen and the tiny pictures on the buttons. She'll never use the stylus, but it's there if she wanted it. I'm thrilled that she's happy. I can hate Sony as a company for going after PS3 jailbreakers, while still happily buying their PRS-350 reader because it makes my mom happy. Anything for her.
she's lucky to have your guidance
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #72
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Ha, thanks Paola. Mom and I are exactly alike in every way EXCEPT device needs. We both got Android phones at the same time (at my guidance) and she was miserable with hers. I still don't understand why - she just thought it was complicated and unintuitive. We traded her Android phone for an iPhone and she's been happy as a clam ever since.

It didn't surprise me too much that we had the same PocketBook / Sony divide when it came to eReaders. But, by gum, she LOVES her new Sony.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #73
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
What you describe reminds me of our own situation with my wife...

Only difference I have a 602 ISO 360
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #74
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
What you describe reminds me of our own situation with my wife...

Only difference I have a 602 ISO 360
She has a 350! Wife is a good one with taste and style
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #75
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
In my opinion, Pocketbook will soon introduce a new series of models, each one for every dimension, all with pearl screen. Compared to Onyx M90 for example, with pearl screen and a price lower then a 903 e-reader, they are no more competitive now.

Last edited by Shinra tensei; 04-25-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote