Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
E-reader owners still buying as many print books

This survey news, reported by Shelf Awareness, surprised me. Here's the text.

At the ABA's Winter Institute…Jack McKeown, director of new business development for Verso Digital and a bookstore owner, will update his presentation last year of reader attitudes. Once again, many of his results will cheer independent booksellers. The most recent survey of 3,819 adults, which took place during the first two weeks of December, followed up on trends identified in the first three surveys, particularly book-buying behavior of e-reader owners and e-book buyers. Among the findings:
 The percentage of e-reader owners who describe themselves as avid readers—intending to buy 13 or more e-books in the next year—is 26.8%, roughly the same as avid readers among all readers, regardless of what form of book they read. This indicates that e-reader owners are no longer mainly early adopters: they now mirror the overall book-buying population.

E-reader owners are buying nearly as many print books as e-books: 25.8% of e-reader owners said that they would buy 13 or more print books within the coming year. Moreover, on average, all e-reader owners plan to buy identical amounts of print and e-books: 7.2. McKeown commented that "there is no overt evidence of e-books cannibalizing print books among avid readers" and suggested that a hybrid market of print and e-books is emerging and will persist for years.

Some 81.7% of all e-reader owners said that if e-books are priced competitively, they will buy them from indies. "If any bookstores are on the sidelines about developing a robust e-book solution for their stores," McKeown said, "this statistic should serve as a huge wake-up call."
The survey found e-reader ownership had risen to 7.9% from 6.8% at the time of its survey done for BEA last May. Likely it's risen more since then because of holiday gift giving.

Here's the link to the Shelf Awareness issue:
http://www.shelf-awareness.com/issue...ue=1369#m11262

I suspect that what people say they'll do and what they actually do may be two different things. I certainly have stopped buying print books since owning my Kindle. I read them from the library and read print books that are given to me, but I rarely buy them.

L.J.
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-26-2012 at 06:57 AM.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I thought I'd use my ebook alongside paper books, but the reality for me was that I never bought any after the two I bought at the same time as my first reader.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Sellers
I suspect that what people say they'll do and what they actually do may be two different things....
So does Verso. Their surveys have indicated, for several years running now, that independent bookstores have a much bigger "mindshare" (23%) than actual market share (5-10%).

The PW article has a little bit more info, but not much: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...oksellers.html

Apparently there's a big digital book conference in the next week or so, so perhaps after that some more comprehensive statistics will be publicly accessible.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have bought only a few print books since I got my e-readers. I got my Nook in July & and my Kindle in October. Since then I have bought only 7 print books compared to my 100 + e-books. And I bought the majority of the print books because of my book club.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Now that ebooks are available for free, I no longer have to buy paper books; so I don't.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I still buy paper books, but only cookbooks. I don't buy paper novels anymore. But then, I buy ebooks now that I would have borrowed in paper from the library in the old days, so they have actually gained sales.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Agency ebook: $6.99 NO DISCOUNTING WHATSOEVER ALLOWED

Paperback (new): $6.99 -- fully eligible for Borders coupon discount

You do the math ...
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
I find that I buy novels in eBook form while anything with pictures is still bought in paper form. That includes comics, those coffee table art books and "making of" books I'm a sucker for, and certain novel type books that include more unique formatting that the eBook reader can't quite capture. This probably brings my eBook vs Paper purchases to about 50-50 depending on what kind of books come out over the year.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I only buy one or two hardbacks a year (crafts or art books), and dozens, if not hundreds of ebook novels). I often read 2 to 3 novels a week. All are ebooks, as I find it much more comfortable to read a slightly larger font size, and not have to carry around multiple books, in case I finish one.

I'd be interested to know how they selected people to answer the survey. Depending on how they selected them, it could be completely skewed data.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I still buy print books, but not nearly as many as I used to for personal use. I have time to read only so many books, no matter what form they come in. I want brick-and-mortar stores to stay open, though, so I've stepped up gift-buying in bookstores.

For me, print books still work fine when I'm reading at home. When I spend long stretches away from home, I tend to buy many fewer print books simply to avoid the trouble of carrying them in baggage.

Also, I still buy print books because the nonfiction I read sometimes isn't available in digital form.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I've bought one paper book since my first Kindle. My own experience with people who own digital readers is they say things like "Oh Borders! Wow, I just realized I haven't even walked into one for about 4 months now."

Quote:
Agency ebook: $6.99 NO DISCOUNTING WHATSOEVER ALLOWED

Paperback (new): $6.99 -- fully eligible for Borders coupon discount

You do the math ...
My Math is to not buy the book at all if I think the eBook is wrongly priced. If I'm going to read it in paper, I'll just borrow the library copy.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I still buy pbooks...but I usually buy them used, so that doesn't help the publishers at all. I switch back and forth between reading om my reader and reading pbooks. I enjoy reading both formats.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I've bought one paper book since my first Kindle. My own experience with people who own digital readers is they say things like "Oh Borders! Wow, I just realized I haven't even walked into one for about 4 months now."

My Math is to not buy the book at all if I think the eBook is wrongly priced. If I'm going to read it in paper, I'll just borrow the library copy.
I'm glad your library owns copies of every book you'd like to read!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #14
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Just bought 3 books yesterday (including the 3'rd book in a series that I have e-books for the first two volumes). Got them at my favorite used book store.

Got 4 books at the county library last week. The county system has a very good collection, but I have utilized the inter-library loan system to get books that they don't own.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I had stopped reading for a long time, and the ereader brought back the interest. I still like paper books, so the newly refreshed habit resulted in me buying more of them. I use the Kindle for free public domain books, but new books I'm really interested in I buy in trade-pb or hardcover. For me the ereader is an addition more so than a replacement.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote