Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Help me out with a couple of names

In the mid-20th century, there was some science fiction writer or computer scientist who described a conceptual electronic book. He came up with a name for the concept-- maybe something involving the word "pad" or "tablet", but then again maybe not. I can't remember the name of the man or the imaginary device, though, and no key words I've googled with have helped me so far.

Anyone?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Datapad, maybe?

This thread might help - Fictional references to ebooks and epaper
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, this wasn't a device from a work of fiction. It was an idea someone described of a possible future device, but in a real-world speculation setting, not in a fictional setting.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
nomesque
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
No, this wasn't a device from a work of fiction. It was an idea someone described of a possible future device, but in a real-world speculation setting, not in a fictional setting.
Ohhhh....

*wide-eyed dopey look*

NFI, sorry.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
nomesque

HA! This has been bugging me. Unfair, cos it's your bug, not mine. But check this:

http://www.livescience.com/scienceof...ny_reader.html

I know you asked for NON-fiction references, but ACC did write (as far as I'm aware) a lot of papers and articles regarding concepts used in his fictional work. Might help you find something closer to what you're after?
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Finally found what I was looking for-- it was called the "Dynabook":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynabook

http://www.mprove.de/diplom/gui/Kay72a.pdf
Old 09-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Finally found what I was looking for-- it was called the "Dynabook":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynabook

http://www.mprove.de/diplom/gui/Kay72a.pdf
Hey, I didn't know that ... (from the wiki link above)

"The Dynabook concept was created by Alan Kay in 1968,..."

"Alan Kay is actively involved in the One Laptop Per Child project that uses Smalltalk, Squeak, and the concepts of a computer for learning."

Glad you finally found it. I know how it continues to nag at you when you can't remember something.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
nomesque

1968? Huh... same year as Clarke's attribution. I wonder which came first, or whether they were colleagues, or it was a common concept being thrown around in the scientific community...
Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Weird how the illustrtion looks exactly like a K1, isn't it?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Weird how the illustrtion looks exactly like a K1, isn't it?
Yeah. I had a similar moment while searching for the reference when I noticed that the description of The Guide in HHGTTG had the same screen dimensions as my Sony Reader Pocket (3 inches by 4 inches.)
Old 09-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
Deb
Connoisseur
Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
It's amazing how many items brought up in SF are actual-world devices now. Heinlein contributed the waterbed and the Waldo (off the top of my head). I'm sure Asimov devised quite a few - others?

The scientists of today are the SF readers of yesterday...
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Alan Kay was one of my Dad's graduate students. Part of his research on the DynaBook involved building cardboard mock-ups in various form-factors and weights, and getting people to carry them around during their day (and then report on the level of hassle involved). At various times I carried probably a half-dozen different "models" to school for the day -- I was in 2nd grade at the time.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #13
Deb
Connoisseur
Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Asimov wrote a short story about the perfect portable reader.
It was a paperback book.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote