Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Carrying my Reader on public transport without my man bag

Hi have an issue I am trying to address. For ages I have used a Man Bag (just an over the shoulder messenger bag) to carry all of my gadgets and stuff for my daily commute on the train (the local Metro train service). I am on the train for about 45 minutes each way, and also have a bus and a little bit of walking to do (about 15 minutes of walking).

Now that it is the summer, I hate carrying my bag cos its awkard and I prefer not to have to worry about it.

What I want to do is just leave the house with my Reader in hand, and carry it while walking, and then obviously read it once I am on the train or bus.

It is currently sat in the Tri-fold cover so its fairly well protected, but my only issue is "what if it rains?". There is a chance it might get wet (hell no, I can't let that happen).

Does anyone have any suggestions. I have it on a lanyard also, so I suppose I could just hang it round my neck and put it under my suit jacket. But would the thin stringy bit of the lanyard or the plastic release mechanism ever snap (I dont dare think about it).

I also thought about getting the silicon cover as it apparently will still fit in the trifold cover, but the silicon cover does not actualy cover all of the ports and things.

Or maybe the m-edge zip cover, that might do it, but I dont like the idea of their being no protection for the screen (yes, I know it can be unzipped and the reader turned around in the case to protect it, but that sounds like too much hassle).

Sorry for soo much waffle, but I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

I am in the UK by the way
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Since you always have to carry an umbrella in UK you can maybe mount it on the umbrella so you can walk in the rain and read...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

What a fantastic idea. However, I dont use an umbrella cos I am a hard geordie and dont mind getting wet.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
Keep a poly bag with a seal top in your pocket, or the pouch in your reader cover.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Why don't you get a lanyard that has no plastic release?

I think you might be stuck with the man bag otherwise.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I wear cargos and mine lives in it's Tuffluv cover in the right hand knee pocket.

What about replacing the trifold cover with the m-edge leisure cover? Thats suposed to be water resistant.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
halljames
Zealot

I really like the tri-fold cover. I like the spongy feel of it. The m-edge one offers no screen protection unless you unzip it and turn the reader over, so I dont think I could be bothered with that.

I am going to try and just carry it on Monday and see how that works.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I use a waistpack to carry my Sony 505. It fits perfectly into the waist pack, which is "weatherproof".
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I thought about this before. We have these large-ish pouches for travel, holds passport, boarding passes, credit cards, cash, etc. We walk around everywhere with it hanging by the braided fabric cord around our necks and inside our shirts. It is very thin and flat, and you can hardly tell it is under the shirt.

Something like that would be really good, but I don't believe anything is out there. The passport holder is several years old and came from the Totes store. Tim's is black, and mine is hot pink.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
halljames
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I use a waistpack to carry my Sony 505. It fits perfectly into the waist pack, which is "weatherproof".
Is a waistpack equivelant to a "bum" bag. I dont know if it would look right wearing something like that under my suit
Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames View Post
Is a waistpack equivelant to a "bum" bag. I dont know if it would look right wearing something like that under my suit
No no no, you take it off and lock it in your desk when you get to work.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
halljames
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
No no no, you take it off and lock it in your desk when you get to work.
Is this something like what you are refering to. This particular one does not look big enough though :

http://www.jdsports.co.uk/webapp/wcs...49242_-1_women
Old 05-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames View Post
Is this something like what you are refering to. This particular one does not look big enough though :

http://www.jdsports.co.uk/webapp/wcs...49242_-1_women

No, like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-DAY-ONLY-Tra...3A1%7C294%3A50

It is thin and light, hangs under your shirt.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!

Scratch that, this is exactly the one we have. But it is too narrow for a reader.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Travel-Passport-...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
halljames
Zealot

I have ordered the proporta silicon skin - it looks better than the SONY one as its black. Just to give it an extra bit of protection