Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-31-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Recommended - Sax Rohmer "Fu Manchu" stories

I'd like to recommend the "Fu Manchu" stories of Sax Rohmer. Horribly "non PC" by modern standards, I'm afraid, but the most wonderful adventure stories.

In case anyone's unfamiliar with them, these stories involve the adventures of the British secret agent Nayland Smith, and his "sidekick", Dr. Petrie, in attempting to foil the sinister plots of a Chinese master criminal, Dr. Fu-Manchu, to take over the world.

There are three books in the series which are currently available electronically, which I've collected together into an anthology called the "Sax Rohmer Anthology, Vol 1". Available for both the Sony Reader and in MobiPocket formats from the book uploads forum.

The reason I'm recommending them is that I've just finished re-reading them myself, and I'd forgotten just how good they are. I've just uploaded new versions which correct all the typos I spotted while reading them.

Please do let me know what you think if you read them. I think they are just THE most wonderful stories.

The Sony Reader version is here, the MobiPocket version here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'll second that opinion. They're fun reads. I have more of a preference, however, for all his other oriental fiction, but the Fu Manchu series are great, atmospheric reads.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Yep, I like the Fu Manchu stories too - I first read them as a teenager, and they hinted at a repressed sleaziness that appealed to me at the time.

The Fu Manchu stories are my favourite Rohmer reads; I recently read 'Brood of the Witch Queen' and couldn't make head nor tail of it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Yep, I like the Fu Manchu stories too - I first read them as a teenager, and they hinted at a repressed sleaziness that appealed to me at the time.
I think the early ones (which we have) were regarded as really rather "daring" at the time they were written (the first one was published in 1913)!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote