Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
MikeBT
MikeBT began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Iliad WIFI is suddenly broken (Cant even scan)

I have had my iliad for a few months and have been happily connecting to my local network over WIFI with WEP security.
Recently, however, during a download of new books from my local PC, the download halted. Since that time I have not been able to connect to any wireless networks. In fact the Iliad will not even scan local wireless nodes.
I have used the mrxvt package to get command line access to the iliad in an attempt to diagnose the problem. The command "ifconfig wlan0" returns "error fetching device information: Device not found".
Has my WIFI vanished????
What can I do to re-activate my WIFI?

I have tried rebooting the Iliad, reflashing the unit, re-formatting the internal memory and even running the battery down - none of which has made a difference.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to fix it?

Device is an Iliad v2 with firmware 2.12 loaded

Help

MikeT
MikeBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
flash to v2.1 and formatting, then upgrading to 2.12 again via iDS worked for me. haven't the faintest what caused it though.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
MikeBT

Exclamation Reflash / Reformat did'nt work for me

Thanks for the response.
It didn't work for me though

I followed these instructions to re-flash & re-format but my WIFI is still dead.
How to perform a format of your iLiad:

Backup all of the files on your internal memory.
"Unzip the cf-card-contents.zip.
You should see a folder called "images" and a file called "config.txt"
Copy these to the root of your memory card. (Not inside any other folders)
For example. If on your windows computer, your memory card is drive "E:", you should have E:\images and E:\config.txt
Edit your config.txt with notepad.
Delete everything in it, and type "format" (without quotes).
Unmount your memory card and insert it into your iLiad.
Make sure your iLiad is powered off, with nothing on the screen.
Hold the connect button in the upper right hand corner of your iLiad.
While holding the button, press the power switch on the bottom.
Count to Five while continuing to hold the button.
Release the connect button."

IREX supprt tell me that my machine is out of warranty because I installed the developer package, so now I have to pay "Service credits" to get IREX to "re-program" the unit and hope that they find a hardware problem (That would still be covered under warranty)

Tinkerer Beware
Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you realise that formatting and reflashing are 2 different operations, right?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 AM   #5
MikeBT

Ah Ha - No I did'nt realise....

Ah, No I didn't realise they were 2 different operations DOH!

So I tried again.
I reflashed with the original CompactFlash zip from IREX then (once that was completed successfully) modified the config.txt file so it only contains "format" (without the quotes) and did the reflash process again (Booting with the Connect button pressed).
According to the log file, both operations seem to have completed OK.....

....But still no WIFI

Did I do it right????
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 05:45 AM   #6
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."

i'd say you did.. did you upgrade to 2.12 again afterwards? if it didn't work with v2.10, it probably won't work with 2.12 either, but still.. anyway, i'd suggest you create a support ticket over at iRex then..
Old 05-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
MikeBT

Thanks for your help

I have logged the ticket with IREX - Maybe this is a hardware fault after all.

Thanks for your help.

MikeT
Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
proga
proga began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
any solutions ?

Hi there any news about this problem ?
Looks like I've got the same, now...

I was able extablish WiFi connection once and now device does not find any networks...
proga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:08 AM   #9
MikeBT

IREX fixed it

I ended up sending the device back to IREX for repair.
They did manage to fix the wireless interface quickly, but since the repair the USB port refuses to work.

I now transfer all files over wireless and have not re-installed the developer package or any custom apps.

More fool me for installing it in the first place!

Hope your experience is better!

MikeT
Old 08-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
guido4096
guido4096 began at the beginning.

Device: ILIAD
Dear,

I had the same and thought it was broken. I opened a ticket with Irex and within a day they provided the solution:

"Please check how many wireless profiles do you have, under device manage, iLiad profiles. iLiad can only hold max. 8 profiles. If this limits reached, then the device will not able to detect or accept any other AP (access points)"

So, I went to my network profiles, deleted all of them, and now wifi works again !

Great support from Irex! Of course, the problem should not have been there, but it is a minor things.
guido4096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
That's good to know, thanks. I wasn't aware of that limitation before.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fault, iliad, wifi