Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-11-2004, 05:40 PM   #1
Paranoid
Paranoid began at the beginning.

Device: None
DriveCrypt OS

http://www.securstar.com/opensource/

SecurStar is proud to announce, that “DriveCrypt 4.1 – OS (open source)” is released.

With our strong connections with the freeware programs Scramdisk and E4M our programmers have a tradition of open source sorfware.
With these products, thousands of people all over the world CAN verify the software security and review how the encryption functions.

By releasing the sourcecodes of DriveCrypt 4.1-OS security experts all over the world can now review the encryption routines and check if there are any security vulnerabilities in the program; this will give SecurStar the chance to correct those problems offering to our customers the maximum on security they deserve.

DriveCrypt 4.1 OS is derived from DriveCrypt 4.1, with certain features removed, which do not compromise the security of the rich set of features still offered in DriveCrypt 4.1. DriveCrypt 4.1 OS is a
fully functioning encryption package in its own right, with the best of the DriveCrypt features retained.

Of course both version of the software are fully compatible to each other so that you can switch between them at will.
--
How to download the software:

If you are a SecurStar customer, and have a valid DriveCrypt customer support and upgrade service in place, press on the "download" button on this page and get DriveCrypt 4.1 - OS together with its sources. (Note: To login in the download section you should use your customer private are login/password, not the forum password)
=========
Good to see this nice software is opensource now.
But you need to be a paying DriveCrypt closed source customer before you can download the opensource version.
Strickly speaking it's opensource because they give the sourcecode.
But making it a payed only download they limit checking by the community.

Last edited by Paranoid; 04-11-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 07:25 PM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Interesting. From reading the previous posts on SecurStar vs. Open-Source, it appears that Open-Source is the winner

Still... by offering a "castrated" open-source version of DriveCrypt, SecurStar has proven *nothing*. How can they prove to us that those "certain features" removed are not actually the key to security compromise??

Last edited by Morpheus; 04-11-2004 at 07:27 PM.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2004, 03:58 AM   #3
Paranoid

I've tested many open and closed source programs.
Closed source programs are very often the fastest and most feature rich.
DriveCrypt scored good on both points. Ok some functionallity is stripped but still scores better then many others functionality wise.
The functionality table the put online is far from complete so I hope they put a freely downloadeble 30-day trail online.

Still... by offering a "castrated" open-source version of DriveCrypt, SecurStar has proven *nothing*. How can they prove to us that those "certain features" removed are not actually the key to security compromise??

You can't know. But you could use the opensource version. So I have nothing against the stripping of the program. You decide if enough functionalty is left.
What bothers me more is the method of distribution.
Open source doesn't mean it's safe. So it needs to be checked by many ppl that can be trusted and are skilled enough.
If the flaming against SecureStar is anything to go by not many are going to buy a closed source version to get access to the open source version.
And after it has been approved by the community the souce (and executebles) need to be signed and distributed. Where to store the signatures?

So I think SecureStar deserves a break for offering a _good_ opensource program.
But the distribution method isn't as good as it could be.

Paranoid, waiting for StrongDisk to take teh same step
Old 04-15-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hey Paranoid, curious where you got the unpublished /opensource link from... cool though

It appears that it is only a "test page", as SecurStar calls it... nothing definite yet
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 04:17 AM   #5
Paranoid

Alexander I was going through my daily search routine on crypto links :P
So a accidental hit. But abit later I saw teh link in newsgroups also. So I guess the secret page got some hits ;p

But when I posted the link here the page looked diffrent. The 'TEST....' parts where not there yet.

Now all we need is a download testpage
Advert