Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
vaeditor
vaeditor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Ejecting multiple times?

This might seem like a silly question, but I don't want to risk data corruption. If you have the KT interfacing with more than one app (say the Kobo desktop app and Calibre) at the same time, should you eject from both? I'm assuming you'd also have to eject the device from the Windows tray as well (?). Or is one eject sufficient?
vaeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaeditor View Post
This might seem like a silly question, but I don't want to risk data corruption. If you have the KT interfacing with more than one app (say the Kobo desktop app and Calibre) at the same time, should you eject from both? I'm assuming you'd also have to eject the device from the Windows tray as well (?). Or is one eject sufficient?
Actually its funny that you metntion this. I had corruption when I used the KDS and Calibre at the same time. I now open one at a time and only eject if I am in the software and need to check things. But i never open both at the same time any longer. Maybe it was just bad luck but I susspect it was the two programs causing issues. As far as ejecting from the windows tray, i find if i do that i cant get it to be recognized unless i do a complete reboot of windows.

hope you get an answer

regards

jack

Last edited by jackastor; 06-24-2011 at 01:46 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I've never run both applications simultaneously with the Kobo connected, but I'm pretty sure that ejecting from within Calibre is the same as ejecting from the windows tray, which should be all you need to do. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can always check in My Computer to make sure that the Kobo (and the SD card) no longer show up there as mounted, regardless of how/where you eject.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Running both apps simultaneously sounds like a recipe for disaster... you don't want them treading on each other's toes while updating the DB.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
vaeditor
vaeditor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll try to avoid running more than one application simultaneously. Taming, you're right: It doesn't matter where you eject it from; all you have to do is eject once (which makes sense). If I eject it from the system tray in Windows, it no longer appears in either Kobo desktop or Calibre, and vice-versa.
vaeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0AT View Post
I've never run both applications simultaneously with the Kobo connected, but I'm pretty sure that ejecting from within Calibre is the same as ejecting from the windows tray, which should be all you need to do. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
My opinion is that application prevents unmount at any condition.
After closing app or "ejecting" from it, at my knowledge, it doesn't
unmount, since it is a job for operating system to do. OS has to
sync data, which might or might not be done at the time of remo-
ving device from usb adapter. Linux and bsd tribe make it expli-
citelly. Since I have no win box, I could only guess that you have to
use windows tray to fulfill the task.
The way I see it, more apps using file system, more reason to be
careful. One app at time, unmount after that.
Best regards all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:14 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually, on Windows either the "Eject" within Calibre OR the "Eject" within Kobo Desktop DO drive the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" interface (which IS the unmount process).

Also do remember that a lot of the issues with Windows safe ejection of media was solved a long time ago, when Windows stopped caching of writes to removable media. This change happened in Windows/XP.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually, on Windows either the "Eject" within Calibre OR the "Eject" within Kobo Desktop DO drive the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" interface (which IS the unmount process).
I use bsd so long that I have no insight on win behaveor anymore.
The default is that only root might mount and dismount the drive.
I'm always puzzled when that happens on win. Thank you for clarify-
ing this.

Quote:
Also do remember that a lot of the issues with Windows safe ejection of media was solved a long time ago, when Windows stopped caching of writes to removable media. This change happened in Windows/XP.
You mentioned this some time ago, but I must forgot that. Good to know.
Berkley file system now caches in the background and makes the
system fast and usable. I tend to expect that from every fs I encounter.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll try to avoid running more than one application simultaneously. Taming, you're right: It doesn't matter where you eject it from; all you have to do is eject once (which makes sense). If I eject it from the system tray in Windows, it no longer appears in either Kobo desktop or Calibre, and vice-versa.
Yes but if you eject from the windows tray, I dare you to try to connect it again.

Jack
Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I always use the Windows tray, and I have no problem connecting it again.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
snirp
snirp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am confused about the ejecting of the reader. There is no option on my start menu when I plug it into the computer nor is there any that I can find on the desktop software. Am I looking in the wrong place? The only time I see an option for ejecting is when I download a book and then sync it.

Thanks
snirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Yes but if you eject from the windows tray, I dare you to try to connect it again.

Jack
I have ZERO issues on ejecting from ANY of the possible places.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

If you are using XP, you will see a "safely remove hardware" icon on the lower right of your screen, in the system tray, whenever you have a USB device plugged in. It is near the clock/time indicator. If you are running things like dropbox, Calibre and other programs, you may have an arrow instead as not everything fits on the lower right. Same for Windows 7.

Click on it. you will get a dialog box. Click on that and then stop the reader (following the directions) and after you get the pop-up telling you the device is disconnected, remove it.

It is possible for the icon to disappear from your system tray. Google "safely remove hardware icon not in system tray" for help with that.

You will know you have succeeded when you can no longer see Kobo listed under My Computer. You can also eject the reader from the Kobo desktop application.

Last edited by taming; 06-27-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: I run on and on sometimes
Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I have ZERO issues on ejecting from ANY of the possible places.
I guess what i am saying is that if you eject from the windows tray it requires a reboot before windows will recognize the device from that usb port. However once you restart your computer it has no issues... I did not mean to imply it would permently prevent you from using it. At least that is how things seem to work on my computer.

regards

Jack