Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Shishkerbob
Lil Shifty
Shishkerbob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Reading manga Issues

Hey, i recently starting using a kobo and discovered to my disgust that it doesn't seem to read manga comics in order. I have a .rar (which i change the name to cbr and converted to epub on calibre) with 25 chapters in it but they all seem to be random in the order represented. For example chapters 1-4 work find but it then skips to 24 then 12 then 18 then 19 then 20 exct... The pictures are still in the order of the chapter its just that chapters that are being ordered wrong. i checked the names of the files to see if they are in order and its all fine.
what do i do??
u guys need more info?
Cheers in advance, Alex

Last edited by Shishkerbob; 04-08-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Shishkerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
omgfire
Enthusiast
omgfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Ipod Touch 4th Gen
How were they numberd in the .rar?
omgfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Try converting your .cbr to .pdf and see if you get better results. It worked for the graphic novels that I'm reading.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Shishkerbob
Lil Shifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinín View Post
Try converting your .cbr to .pdf and see if you get better results. It worked for the graphic novels that I'm reading.
converted to pdf and its still out of whack :\
im tempted to just go buy the manga except its naruto and has like 500 volumes -.-
Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
If your Kobo is a Wifi model, the 1.9 firmware update reportedly adds CBZ/CBR support. (Dunno if regular zip/rar also works.)
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
Shishkerbob
Lil Shifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
If your Kobo is a Wifi model, the 1.9 firmware update reportedly adds CBZ/CBR support. (Dunno if regular zip/rar also works.)
how do i update it?
Old 04-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
The unit checks for updates whenever you turn on the Wifi, or Sync with the desktop app. It's being rolled out slowly though, so not everyone's gotten it yet. (The chance is about 5%, according to Kobo's announcement from mid-March.)

One way to get it sooner is to install Kobo's desktop app and press Sync repeatedly until it gives you the update. However, if you bought the Kobo from a partner with their own ebook store (ex. Borders), updating through the Kobo desktop app changes the unit to connect to Kobo's own ebook store instead.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
Shishkerbob
Lil Shifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
The unit checks for updates whenever you turn on the Wifi, or Sync with the desktop app. It's being rolled out slowly though, so not everyone's gotten it yet. (The chance is about 5%, according to Kobo's announcement from mid-March.)

One way to get it sooner is to install Kobo's desktop app and press Sync repeatedly until it gives you the update. However, if you bought the Kobo from a partner with their own ebook store (ex. Borders), updating through the Kobo desktop app changes the unit to connect to Kobo's own ebook store instead.
ye i got it at borders so im kinda screwed, im so sick of updates not being public it its like my phone how my service provider wont let me update to 2.2 yet

are there any other viable ways to get it in order?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
Shishkerbob
Lil Shifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishkerbob View Post
ye i got it at borders so im kinda screwed, im so sick of updates not being public it its like my phone how my service provider wont let me update to 2.2 yet

are there any other viable ways to get it in order?
wait dw i just got it updated by syncing like a billion times LOL

also its still out of whack
Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishkerbob View Post
converted to pdf and its still out of whack :\
im tempted to just go buy the manga except its naruto and has like 500 volumes -.-
Interesting logic....

(Viz weeps!)
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
Use the newer kobo version of the desktop
www.kobobooks.com/desktop

You should get the update in a few clicks (don't forget to attach your kobo!)
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #12
Shishkerbob
Lil Shifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayupark View Post
Use the newer kobo version of the desktop
www.kobobooks.com/desktop

You should get the update in a few clicks (don't forget to attach your kobo!)
its already on 1.9. it makes no diff.
even when i open the cbr using cdisplay its out of order as well so i dont think its a kobo problem
Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you looked at the files within the cbr to see the names of them?

Remember that it's important to have the files numbered sequentially, and I think that all the numbers be the same length (ie file01.jpg, file02.jpg up to file99.jpg OR file001.jpg, file002.jpg up to file999.jpg).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #14
Shishkerbob
Lil Shifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

Remember that it's important to have the files numbered sequentially, and I think that all the numbers be the same length (ie file01.jpg, file02.jpg up to file99.jpg OR file001.jpg, file002.jpg up to file999.jpg).
Here is the files, also not that all the images in the 22nd folder are .gifs while all the rest are .jpeg. After converting the gif to jpeg i still have the same problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	69760  
Old 04-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #15
Shishkerbob
Lil Shifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

wait dw i think ive found the problem, the idiot who uploaded the chapters named them all differently styled in each chapter.