Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
clockmaker
clockmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Problem reading files conved by Calibre

I have converted a few .lit files to mobi. The converted files are read correctly by the internal calibre mobi reader but on kindle 3 they show up with one paragraph per page. Even on use of mobiread, the files are still one paragraph per page.

In Look and Feel for the conversion I have only the following checked:

Remove spacing between paragrahs
Transliterate unicode characters to ascii (unselecting it does not make any difference)

I would think that the mobi format files will show up as the same in the internal or external viewers.

P.S. Some of the converted files show all the lines centered on the page. Could it be because of some settings in the original Lit file?
clockmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Some .lit files are just strange.
You could try converting to .txt and then to mobi
Many .lit file I have had to convert to .rtf and replace non standard formatting
Probably a better way to do it but this works for me and is fairly quick when you get used to it.
I have a Sony PRS 600 so I had most of my files already converted to epub. Now I have converted the epub to mobi for my mother's kindle 3 and so far they all look good.

Some viewers are more tolerant of non standard carriage returns etc. than others.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you have some ability with HTML/CSS you could convert the LIT again with the Convert - Debug feature enabled (ignore the resulting MOBI).

If you examine the Debug directory (Input subdir is usually helpful) you can examine the html Calibre extracts from the LIT. This may point you at the problem. Sometimes you can then fix the problem by using the Convert - Look&Feel - ExtraCSS to override the problem formatting in the LIT when you convert to MOBI again.

Other times a manual fix of the Debug html is necessary. In which case you can then import the fixed html into Calibre as the new source file and discard the LIT.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, it may be easier to convert these odd books to ePub. Then clean up the ePub (making all the margins to 0 for better conversion as well) and then convert to Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockmaker View Post
I have converted a few .lit files to mobi. The converted files are read correctly by the internal calibre mobi reader but on kindle 3 they show up with one paragraph per page. Even on use of mobiread, the files are still one paragraph per page.
Try converting the lit files with preprocessing checked under structure detection (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	preprocess.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	59780  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert