Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #481
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I got an email from Tantor this morning, all direct downloads $4.99, today only.
I have never even heard of Tantor or direct downloads for mp3 other than Amazon's Audible. Which of course is their locked down .aax format. I just looked at MP3 CD books at Amazon and they are extremely overpriced.

Do you trust them with your cc? Are there other cheap/reasonable places for audiobooks?

I only saw several at Tantor for $4.99, the others were much higher.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #482
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Hmm, I didn't check today, but I know I borrowed a WMA audibook in the last week or so.

I *did* read an Overdrive blog where they said they're working on a streaming version of audiobook, which I assumed to be another option for tablet owners. I really hope they're not going to cloud versions of *everything*.

EDIT TO NOTE: I mean cloud-only versions. I certainly don't mind if they roll out cloud versions as an *option* for tablet owners. But since I'm still quite happy with my little Creative Zen MP3 player, I'm hoping I can still borrow WMA and/or MP3 from the library and not *only* have the streaming option.
Fizzywater, do they still sell Creative Zen mp3 players? I am looking to replace my broken Sansa Zip Clip that plays wma. Where did you read about streaming option? I don't want to access wi-fi to listen either.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #483
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Are there other cheap/reasonable places for audiobooks?
Look at the opening post. There are quite a few places that sell audiobooks. It's just a matter of catching the sales and free offers.

Tantor's catalog is weak compared to Audible and Download; but if you can find something you like, $4.99 is a great offer.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #484
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Fizzywater, do they still sell Creative Zen mp3 players? I am looking to replace my broken Sansa Zip Clip that plays wma. Where did you read about streaming option? I don't want to access wi-fi to listen either.
Creative still has a storefront (at least in the US) for MP3 players. My version is a few years old now, so I can't speak for any f the ones on this site.

I subscribe to the Overdrive library blog. I had to search, but this is what I read about streaming formats.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #485
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
I have never even heard of Tantor or direct downloads for mp3 other than Amazon's Audible. Which of course is their locked down .aax format. I just looked at MP3 CD books at Amazon and they are extremely overpriced.

Do you trust them with your cc? Are there other cheap/reasonable places for audiobooks?
I've purchased CDs, MP3 CDs and direct downloads from Tantor. I had no worries about giving them my credit card.

Although much of their content does seem to be available at Audible, they also sell MP3s. Just don't click the dreaded "Also available at Audible.com" button and all will be well. The downloads that I've purchased from Tantor.com have been uninfected - ah, non-DRM'd - MP3s.

There was a probelm with disk seventeen of one of the audiobooks on CD that I purchased (Revelation Space, published by Tantor.) The CD was new and there were no visible marks on the disk, but it wouldn't play without problems. I emailed them about the issue and they sent a replacement right away. I'd swear they got it out that same day. Yup, they'll keep getting my money.

I've also used Downpour.com and recently purchased a few things from AudioGo.com ("The home of BBC audiobooks").

Cindy
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #486
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Creative still has a storefront (at least in the US) for MP3 players. My version is a few years old now, so I can't speak for any f the ones on this site.

I subscribe to the Overdrive library blog. I had to search, but this is what I read about streaming formats.
Thanks FizzyWater. I was looking at the Creative Zen 100 or Style 300M, it says it supports drm9? Not sure what that is. I am looking at the Overdrive website and it is very vague on which models. They are very very few companies left making mp3 players that support wma drm.

Thanks for the blog info.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #487
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Look at the opening post. There are quite a few places that sell audiobooks. It's just a matter of catching the sales and free offers.

Tantor's catalog is weak compared to Audible and Download; but if you can find something you like, $4.99 is a great offer.
Thanks tubemonkey, I thought the first page would be old info. Good idea guess i will have to pay closer attention here.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #488
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpegg View Post
I've purchased CDs, MP3 CDs and direct downloads from Tantor. I had no worries about giving them my credit card.

Although much of their content does seem to be available at Audible, they also sell MP3s. Just don't click the dreaded "Also available at Audible.com" button and all will be well. The downloads that I've purchased from Tantor.com have been uninfected - ah, non-DRM'd - MP3s.

There was a probelm with disk seventeen of one of the audiobooks on CD that I purchased (Revelation Space, published by Tantor.) The CD was new and there were no visible marks on the disk, but it wouldn't play without problems. I emailed them about the issue and they sent a replacement right away. I'd swear they got it out that same day. Yup, they'll keep getting my money.

I've also used Downpour.com and recently purchased a few things from AudioGo.com ("The home of BBC audiobooks").

Cindy
Thanks I will start looking and shopping then, I had no idea. I would much rather have mp3
Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #489
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
Free from Audible: Why Gettysburg Mattered: 150 Years Later (Bonus Material: The Gettysburg Address) http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B00DGX0S5K
Thanks for the heads up

Added to OP and List of Free Audible Books

Quote:
The Battle of Gettysburg - the turning point of the American Civil War - would, in the words of one staff officer, stand "like Waterloo, conspicuous in the history of all ages." In this stirring production, adapted from the New York Times’ award-winning online journal and Audible audiobook Disunion, we revisit the meaning and importance of the battle that forever changed US history. Timed to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the battle which took place over several days starting July 1st, 1863, Why Gettysburg Mattered concludes with an inspiring performance of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #490
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Thanks tubemonkey, I thought the first page would be old info. Good idea guess i will have to pay closer attention here.
You're welcome. I keep the OP updated quite frequently to reflect current deals. I rely on input from the members here to alert me to deals I haven't seen.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #491
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

ChristianAudio just posted their free audiobook for July
Quote:
From the simple setting of his own barber shop, Jayber Crow, orphan, seminarian, and native of Port William, recalls his life and the life of his community as it spends itself in the middle of the twentieth century.

Surrounded by his friends and neighbors, he is both participant and witness as the community attempts to transcend its own decline. And meanwhile Jayber learns the art of devotion and that a faithful love is its own reward.

Warning, this book contains strong or potentially offensive language.
edit: also available as a free download from NoiseTrade

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-01-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #492
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Tantor's catalog is weak because they only sell Tantor audiobooks. According to their website, they publish about 50 new audiobooks per month.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #493
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Tantor's catalog is weak because they only sell Tantor audiobooks. According to their website, they publish about 50 new audiobooks per month.
In much the same way as any publisher site...
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #494
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Free Short Stories from HarperAudio
download here
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #495
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

From LearnOutLoud, here's their free audiobook for the month of June. Just found it so hurry before they replace it with July's entry.
Quote:
LearnOutLoud is pleased to present Greek Gods. Here we present 14 brief audio sketches of each of the major Greek Deities; providing the listener with information on lineage, characteristics, historical significance and artistic renditions. Edited by William Smith along with a team of thirty-five classics scholars, these entries from the Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology serve as one of the most comprehensive guides to classical mythology drawing from a wide array of sources in Greek and Roman literature. A great primer for the student, we hope this lays the groundwork for a firmer understanding and enjoyment of classical mythology.
Evidently, LearnOutLoud will give you this audiobook - As a Man Thinketh - when you set up an account with them. Browse their website, they have quite a few free titles; mostly non-fiction.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-02-2013 at 10:26 PM.