Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #211
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think the problem is that so many of these promotional methods work okay at the beginning, for the first users, because of their novelty. Once that's passed, everyone else is just on the bandwagon, the novelty wears off quickly, and the public gets tired of it. So you either need to be on the bleeding edge, or you need to find the tried-and-true niche that you can just slip into.

Unfortunately, all the niches are in flux right now...

Hopefully things will settle down eventually. In the mean time, why make yourself crazy?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #212
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Exactly my sentiments with Twitter right now. 2+ years ago, it may have been the magic bullet for indie authors. Now, I've seen aspiring authors with near 80K followers that aren't getting the results they want.

I've gotten 4K pageviews to my blog through StumbleUpon and no significant click-throughs or sales.

Meanwhile, I've noticed many emerging indies don't even have a blog ("BUT YOU GOTTA HAVE A BLOG!!!?") They're focusing on their Amazon metadata. This probably isn't a bad idea.

I've pumped so much effort into podcasting and blogging and it seems that maybe: bloggers like to read blogs; podcasters like to listen to podcasts and ebook readers like to go to Amazon and read ebooks, period.

So many people beat themselves up doing a million things all over the web and their Amazon pages don't look professional.

All the while, while I was doing this I kept thinking to myself that I was going against Ben Franklin's adage: Don't scatter your force.

Also, the "lone hero method" hasn't worked that well for me. If I had it to do it all over again, MS Project would be my best friend. I would look to hire out freelancers and have concurrent tasks planned and running. Most of the success stories I've seen recently have been sticking to their core competency of writing, hiring out everything else and using the latest technologies in everything.
davidwfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #213
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwfleming View Post
Also, the "lone hero method" hasn't worked that well for me. If I had it to do it all over again, MS Project would be my best friend. I would look to hire out freelancers and have concurrent tasks planned and running. Most of the success stories I've seen recently have been sticking to their core competency of writing, hiring out everything else and using the latest technologies in everything.

This is the biggest key, IMO. I probably would not go to the level of control and organization that you suggest (I do have 2 "day" jobs and attending grad school... with a family..) but the basic concept I completely agree with... at least now I do.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #214
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has anyone tried making a trailer for their book? I've seen a PowerPoint trailer, which would be easier to tackle than a video trailer. I've heard from readers that they enjoy trailers as long as it's not just the blurb. They want pics and perhaps a voice over. But I'm reluctant to spend time making one unless it will yield some decent sales.
Would love to hear from a writer who's had some experience with this.
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #215
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4kix View Post
Has anyone tried making a trailer for their book? I've seen a PowerPoint trailer, which would be easier to tackle than a video trailer. I've heard from readers that they enjoy trailers as long as it's not just the blurb. They want pics and perhaps a voice over. But I'm reluctant to spend time making one unless it will yield some decent sales.
Would love to hear from a writer who's had some experience with this.
I did, and it is on my youtube, my blog, my facebook, and my amazon author page... I do not know of a single additional sale because of it. It was fun to make though. People enjoyed watching it, and I got compliments on it from fans... but I do not know of anyone that would not have purchased the book anyways that purchased it after watching the video.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #216
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I did, and it is on my youtube, my blog, my facebook, and my amazon author page... I do not know of a single additional sale because of it. It was fun to make though. People enjoyed watching it, and I got compliments on it from fans... but I do not know of anyone that would not have purchased the book anyways that purchased it after watching the video.

I think it will go on my list of interesting things to do when I have more time. Is there a link to it somewhere?
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #217
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4kix View Post

I think it will go on my list of interesting things to do when I have more time. Is there a link to it somewhere?
I will have to PM it to you as the moderators would see it as self promotion if I posted it in this thread and get upset with me.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #218
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anybody out there have experience putting some of their fav blog posts out there as a pdf torrent?

How about doing the same on Scribd?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #219
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Anybody out there have experience putting some of their fav blog posts out there as a pdf torrent?

How about doing the same on Scribd?
Nope and do not see why that would be a helpful idea?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #220
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude

Well, scribd is an online community specifically for exchanging original writings. I believe they deal exclusively in pdfs.

Likewise, torrents can be made of a collection of pdfs and exchanged among a large network.

In both cases, people can download rather large chunks of texts and read them or print them out as they see fit.

(A big reason why I think blogging is so difficult a platform for authors to gain exposure on is because most authors write as if they have a captive audience when in fact most blog viewers are just passing through).
Old 06-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #221
VydorScope
Wizard

I understand that, but the difference between a blog and a torrent, is your intention with a blog is to drive traffic to your site or brand. A torrent is almost the opposite goal. A torrent tends to be more of an anonymous market place.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #222
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude

I was thinking that within each pdf file in the torrent could be a series of links back to your site(s). This might help drive traffic back to the sights or to links to an amazon store. And, of course, each pdf article or story would have a by-line.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #223
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
I was thinking that within each pdf file in the torrent could be a series of links back to your site(s). This might help drive traffic back to the sights or to links to an amazon store. And, of course, each pdf article or story would have a by-line.
I highly doubt they would get followed. Guess it could not hurt to much to try?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #224
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
While I agree it might be questionable to spend time doing it, I do know that I have often checked/followed links from ebook and even pbooks to check out the author's website, bibliography, bio, etc. Also the links provided by Gardner Dozois in his "annual summary" in the years best SF.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #225
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I think if they like what they read they will go there, just to see what else you've got. I know that's what I do.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epublishing tactics, indie publishing, tips and tricks