Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
mechinnovation
mechinnovation began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
PRS 505 Firmware Update

Hi All, I'm completely new to this so please forgive me if this is the wrong place to start but I've got a MAJOR problem with my PRS 505, and if someone here can't help me no-one can.

It all started when after only 24hrs of ownership I plugged a USB cable in when the devise was on standby and device lock was activated. The unit came out of stand by and said devise locked, but didn't give me the option of entering the number sequence. Anyway I couldn't get it out of this state whatever I did. I finally went for the reset button on the back. The device would then not boot up past the start up page. I did this a number of times with various other key presses in between. I realised at this point I was in deep trouble. I finally found something on the web that instructed on how to recover from a bad crash so that it would ask you to update the firmware. Unfortunately this advice was meant for the 500 not the 505. It worked but I don't have a 505 firmware updater. I read somewhere that Sony are intending to release a firmware update end of Feb/March, which I guess I can wait for, but it's a shame not to be able to use it until then particularly after such a same mistake. Has anyone else had a similar experience and recovered their device, if so, can you help me? Thanks in advance, Simon
mechinnovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not contact Sony? If it is in warranty and you live in the US, then you can get it sorted fairly easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
mechinnovation

I don't live in the US, and that's the problem. I'm from the UK and I can't imagine Sony being very cooperative in this matter.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Does it mount as a USB device in that state? Have you ensured it's charged up correctly (a PSP charger will work if you have one).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
mechinnovation

Yep, its fully charged. No you can't mount it as a USB devise in this state. What worries me is that this was such an innocent 'mistake' to make. Good to know about the PSP charger though, I didn't know that thanks.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The thing you wanted to do was a hard reset. I don't know if it'll still work with it caught in an update loop, but it won't hurt anything to try it. You can find the instructions here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
mechinnovation

I tried this and I think you right, I should have done this before. It doesn't help now. I'll have to wait for that first patch. Thanks for your input everyone. Regards Simon
Old 01-31-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
The info & link here might help, but no guarantees!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
mechinnovation

maybe i'll give this a go if I decide to be adventurous. Thanks Simon
Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechinnovation View Post
I don't live in the US, and that's the problem. I'm from the UK and I can't imagine Sony being very cooperative in this matter.
You could email Sony and tell them of your problem and see if they can sort it via email. If not, find someone to send it to in the USA to take it in for warranty repair. I can check if it's OK and take it to the Sony Style Store for warranty repair. I could do it as long as you pay for all the shipping.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:37 AM   #11
mechinnovation

Hi John, thats very kind of you and I may well take you up on it. I will however try installing the first Firmware update when it comes out. I know it will be 4 weeks or more, but a the moment its difficult to justify spending 10's of dollars on a problem that might well fix itself in a few weeks. Thanks again anyway. And if that firmware update doesn't work I will definatelly take you up on your kind offer.

Simon
Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
lookasz
lookasz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Any news about update, or possibility to unbrick prs-505 ?
lookasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
mechinnovation

I check the website every couple of days, but nothing so far. I've read somewhere that it should be the end of this month, but could be end of next month :-(
Old 03-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #14
pettitoes
pettitoes began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 505
I need new firmware so much. Waiting
pettitoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
obelix
Connoisseur
obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettitoes View Post
I need new firmware so much. Waiting
Currently there is only one method to restore PRS-505 from scratch: disassemble the Reader and upload the image via console (wires). Checked on several PRS-505 Readers.

Complete procedure is here (in Russian).

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...t=7577&start=0
obelix is offline   Reply With Quote