Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 03:14 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can't say that I still read on it, but I have a full functional Psion II which I bought in the early 1980s ('83 or 84 - somewhere around then).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #17
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Hah. I have a Compaq 286 luggable from 1983. And it still works.
HEY, I had one of those too. I bought mine in '84. Used it in college and luggged that 22lbs around everywhere I went. Looked like I was carrying an old Singer sewing machine!!

EDIT: Oops, yours was the plasma display fancy dandy one...I had the original Compaq Portable found here:

http://oldcomputers.net/compaqi.html

I would have sworn is was not 28lbs...but 22lbs...weird. I do remember seating the individual memory chips on the expansion card by hand. Gawds I feel OLD...hahaha...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seosamh View Post
I still read from stacks of dried wood pulp sheets glued together and permanently pigmented with letter shapes.
Man, those have to be old for sure...what is this dried wood pulp of which you speak? Where does it come from? Is it maybe made from old reclaimed barns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
There's a nice write-up on the History of E-Books here.

I personally got started with the REB 1100 (320x480 B&W LCD) early 2003, but also had used a "crisp" Sony Clie SJ20 (320x320 monochrome LCD) mid 2003.
Quote:
I haven't yet ventured out into the eInk reader realm, as they personally don't offer anything I would upgrade for/to. Even though I love gadgets, I prefer functionality over "looks" (I especially avoid iPods). OK, get me a color eInk reader, and then I'll recant the above.

Truth be told, the original Nuvomedia/Softbook readers "did" it right, just with the wrong (closed) business models!
I have a weird relationship with the present day eink displays. For the most part I am underwhelemed by them, but my real issue is the deisgns of the devices themselves. That and the price...heck, it's just complicated. Still, for reading outdoors there isn't a better reading device...except maybe that "glued wood pulp" stuff that Seosamh wrote about. Even then it might be superior to actual paper for many people who are sensitive to reflected light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can't say that I still read on it, but I have a full functional Psion II which I bought in the early 1980s ('83 or 84 - somewhere around then).
Oh, now that is cool!! Somewhere around here I have an old and still complete Sharp PC1250A "Student computer Kit" from around the same time period. The really funny part of it is, the complete programming language is printed on the back of the box it came in...I came across it 2nd hand, my actual first "computer" was an HP-25 I got around '77/'78ish. Learned be basics of programming on that thing.

Last edited by brecklundin; 02-11-2009 at 08:42 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #18
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seosamh View Post
I still read from stacks of dried wood pulp sheets glued together and permanently pigmented with letter shapes.
Ditto. My oldest regularly-used reading device is an 1876 unabridged copy of Les Miserables. Everything older than that is just "for show" and reading is not permitted.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #19
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:

Even though I love gadgets, I prefer functionality over "looks" (I especially avoid iPods)...
I bet... that you're one of many people who do not like aPple computers and who, by some kind of I don't know what feeling will go out of their way to spit on aPple. I bet that you've never touched a Touch because of the aforesaid... reason.

Man you're missing on something TRULY functional! Why?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #20
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I bet... that you're one of many people who do not like aPple computers and who, by some kind of I don't know what feeling will go out of their way to spit on aPple. I bet that you've never touched a Touch because of the aforesaid... reason.

I'm a PC girl, but damn my iPod touch is awesome.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #21
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
I bought my wife the iPod Touch for Christmas, but have used it more than her.

I really don't like how Apple "covers up"/blocks getting into the inner workings of it's computers/gadgets. I like to tweak and hack, but with Apple (hardware) they don't want you to look under the hood... That's where most of my "dislike" comes from...

If I can do/hack what I want, then that will win me over, more so, that looks alone!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
I bought my wife the iPod Touch for Christmas, but have used it more than her.

I really don't like how Apple "covers up"/blocks getting into the inner workings of it's computers/gadgets. I like to tweak and hack, but with Apple (hardware) they don't want you to look under the hood... That's where most of my "dislike" comes from...

If I can do/hack what I want, then that will win me over, more so, that looks alone!
Okay I lost my bet.
But you have to admit that there was an interest about that comment other than the "normal" use of aPple devices. That is what frustrates you, not the device itself.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #23
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Okay I lost my bet.
But you have to admit that there was an interest about that comment other than the "normal" use of aPple devices. That is what frustrates you, not the device itself.
Let me tell you a bit about my FIRST (and last) experience with Apple computers.

In 1986, I graduated with a BMath specializing in Computer Science and Accounting. I'm more computer geek, than accountant nerd, but, in 1984, one of my first co-op "jobs" was providing part-time IT support for my Accounting firm's newly acquired Apple Macintosh portable computers (with built-in B&W monitor). The firm was KPMG (or just Peat Marwick as it was called then), excerpt of that article follows:
Quote:
The prestigious accounting firm of Peat, Marwick Mitchell and Co. has ordered more than 2,000 Macintosh computers to be delivered in 1984.
My supervisor sat me down in front of the Mac computer without any manuals and said "familiarize yourself". Well, having used dos on work IBM PC's and home C64's, I thought, no problem.

Unfortunately, there was a problem. I found no way to open the disk in the drive. No way to launch the MacPaint or MacWrite programs which I was told to use. I just stared at that nice desktop for 10-15 minutes without getting "familiar" with it and moving the mouse around. Who knew, back then, about single-click or double-click (it was a single button mouse). Then, while frustrated to no end, I finally moved the mouse over the menu bar while clicking and the Mac world opened up to me! I could then open the disk, launch the software and even print. It's intuitive now to do all this stuff, but Apple's interface was designed for my accountant nerds more so than for us computer geeks.

Afterwards, I found 'ResEdit' and that made me somewhat happy to work with Macs again.

However, this typifies how I feel about Apple's hardware. No way to hack or get down and dirty, and that for me is frustrating, especially when I realize I'm a computer geek and should know this stuff, but don't/can't!

BTW, I've not been able to get any .epub's onto my wife's iPod Touch having run into problems with Cailbre/Stanza/wifi routers! Also, I gave up trying to force iTunes to show me the "fullpath filenames" of the .MP3's it imported so that I could go back and re-edit the tags. I mean, no access to any "techie" stuff! That's what puts me off!

Oh, I guess, some things are just not meant to be...

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-12-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added links
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #24
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

I am also in the I don't care for Apple as a company (long story that goes back a couple decades...not worth discssion here) camp. But at the same time I think the iPod Touch and their other smaller players, are amazing.

I did not chose an iPod Touch over the N800 simply because the N800 lets me do anything I want with it. Plus ofr not a lot of cash I can increase the storage on my N800 to 64GB (and 128GB if I felt a need and wanted to spend that much). Plus the Touch's screen is too small for me. I actually did a side-by-side right after getting my N800 and was surprised at the difference.

If I was after a pure media centric device the Touch would be on my short list for sure.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:54 PM   #25
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
I guess that Mr. Wooster would be the winner if he still has its circa 1968 reader :

http://nonstopbooks.blogspot.com/200...ok-reader.html

Last edited by Faenad; 02-14-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #26
brecklundin
Banned

Faenad:

Oh, cool...I've never seen that one before. Makes sense as Microfiche was "the thing" back then and it sure was a big deal when our small town library got two of them. But to see a portable reader like that is just neat!!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #27
gromit62
Addict
gromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-booksgromit62 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad V2 / Sony PRS-505, -T2, EBG DD-1Ex / Notion Ink A.
Electronic Book-Player DD-1EX from Sony

My oldest and full functioning Electronic-Book-Player is from 1991.
It's also named Data-Diskman EBG (Electronic Book)

Greetings from Germany, Aachen (where the Carnival rocks this week)
gromit62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Or try our Wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBooks

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
I guess that Mr. Wooster would be the winner if he still has its circa 1968 reader :

http://nonstopbooks.blogspot.com/200...ok-reader.html
Hardly an electronic eBook reader, however. Film is not electronic, it was an electric film reader. It would be a real push to say this is electronic.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #30
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
No electronics at all, at least for the main function, but still a functional reading device.
I don't think this reader ever make its way to the market anyway.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote